How To Make A Video iPod

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I just don't see where a video iPod addresses a pent up demand in consumers.

I agree with this completely. Portable video every where you go just isn't practical. It'd be a disaster for runners and a disaster for driver trying to use one of those things. There's no way the market could be anywhere close to as large as for the existing music iPod.

This is why I think that if Apple makes a video anything, it's going to resemble a PVR more than an iPod. There *is* a large market for such a thing. Although I do think the equivalent of iTunes Music Store for movies could be a real winner somewhere in the future when high bandwidth is more common. Maybe something to compete with the Netflix business model.

Of course, one could dream up any number of features that a PVR would have, some level of portability, rendezvous connection to iPhoto, etc...

DF
  • Reply 42 of 45
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Doktorfaust

Portable video every where you go just isn't practical. It'd be a disaster for runners and a disaster for driver trying to use one of those things. There's no way the market could be anywhere close to as large as for the existing music iPod.

This is why I think that if Apple makes a video anything, it's going to resemble a PVR more than an iPod. There *is* a large market for such a thing. Although I do think the equivalent of iTunes Music Store for movies could be a real winner somewhere in the future when high bandwidth is more common. Maybe something to compete with the Netflix business model.

Of course, one could dream up any number of features that a PVR would have, some level of portability, rendezvous connection to iPhoto, etc...

DF

It would only be a disaster for the 13 idiots who would actually use them when running or driving.

I think video screens will become ubiquitous when power usage, price and durability comes to flat screens. I think people will have flat screens in their cars (they do now) in many places in their houses (they do now) in hotel rooms (they do now). When there is a universal connector and software codex standards you can take your iPodAV with you and just plug-in whenever you want to check out your videos. You won't need special glasses.

You could also preview movies, etc. on the 3" screen of the device itself which is fine for short duration multimedia. The 4" screen looks alot bigger with stereo earbuds on! But if it held movies, iMovies or your corporate video that doesn't need to be edited (thus doesn't need a laptop) then you could use the small screen as a way of previewing what you have.

This isn't rocket science. It won't be bigger than iPod music. It will be different and the infrastructure will develop around it and the creative community will come up with appropriate art and content. It happens with ALL media. Why not plan for it and help set the standards before anyone else gets a chance?
  • Reply 43 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

It would only be a disaster for the 13 idiots who would actually use them when running or driving.

My point here was that I would guess that the market for 3 inch portable TV players is substantially smaller than the market for portable music players such as the iPod. Such a device wouldn't sell well just on those merits, there'd have to be another reason.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

When there is a universal connector and software codex standards you can take your iPodAV with you and just plug-in whenever you want to check out your videos. You won't need special glasses.

THIS is what I think would sell. Just what you described. A new way to acquire and carry around movies would be useful for a larger market. This is what would sell such a device.

Go ahead and add a three inch screen either from some 3rd party (like Griffin) or from Apple for those people who want the portable/watch movies everywhere factor. The three inch screen is just bonus, it's not why *most* people would buy the device, but it's a nice extra feature.

All of this is based on pure speculation of what kind of market is out there -- so of course I have no idea what I'm talking about.... :-)
  • Reply 44 of 45
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    why doesnt apple save everybody some time and money and turn the ipod into a palm pilot type of thing already but like... all hooked up with technology and advancements that we love from apple
  • Reply 45 of 45
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Doktorfaust

My point here was that I would guess that the market for 3 inch portable TV players is substantially smaller than the market for portable music players such as the iPod. Such a device wouldn't sell well just on those merits, there'd have to be another reason.

A good question would be: What is the smallest adequate screen size that you would watch in such a device?

My answer would be 4.25"