Does hair restoration work?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2015
Rogain, Propecia, and Bosely Transplants all claim to be able to regrow hair. Is it possible and does it really work?

http://www.bosley.com has some interesting stuff to say about hair loss.

This brings up another question. If you had the extra $4,000 to spend and had a bald head with a lack of self confidence, would you pay for the seemingly painless (but expensive) procedure? Thoughts, comments, follicles?

BTW, my guess is that most people here would rather just be bald Xserve users, rather than have an iBook and a full head of hair.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Bah, be a man and just keep what you have left clipped short. Save some money and your dignity.

• Reply 2 of 53
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Rogine and Propecia will work on some people, but only as long as they use the stuff. Hair transplants definately work, but if not done by someone really, really good, they can look pretty bad. Harrison Ford's looked awful at first, but I think he got them fixed.

I personally like bald men, but I will basically have my hair until I croak, so I'm not in a position to throw stones. I don't think it's any worse than the person who gets a nose job or lipo because they want to feel better about themselves.

Just make sure you don't go to some discount place. It can end up being pretty nasty.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    LOL, I dont need it yet as I am just 18 but I definately would benefit from it in the future. I am actually much thinner than even a year ago, when I had a normal, full head of hair. It must be because I registered as a republican, so now its starting to thin.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    No.

Give it up. Don't worry. Embrace your baldness. Shave your head.

I began to lose my hair at 17. I am, if I may say so myself, extremely handsome.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    I was thinking about that...just shaving it off and forgetting about the hassle altogether. Styling, washing, and maintaning hair is a long and boring, tiresome process...espcially as it is getting harder to do. I would just shave it close, if it were not for my mom, would would flip.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    You don't have to go and get a shinehead. No chromedome for me: an elegant, neat bristle with my own clippers. Your mum won't flip if she saw how smooth you look.

Oh: and chicks dig it.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

You don't have to go and get a shinehead. No chromedome for me: an elegant, neat bristle with my own clippers. Your mum won't flip if she saw how smooth you look.

Oh: and chicks dig it.

Take a pic for me...like how close are we talking?
  • Reply 8 of 53
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    My comments are based on my honey bunny's brother's first hand experience with propecia.

He was thirty years old and started LOSING his hair... Rogain gave him a bad rash. Propecia actually produced results! With SOME side effects... First, it stopped his hair loss. After about four months his hair started to slowly grow back! Sounds good huh? Within six months he could no longer get the "crane" to move a load up to the sixth floor... Capiche...

Two years later he's a happily functioning guy with a semi chrome dome. His wife isn't complaining.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    new research on mice suggests a stem cell fix might be in the works

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/news/13911.php

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994773

the news is less than a week old, other stories (with pictures) should be plentiful

but I second the view that people should deal with it rather than waste $ on vanity

more money is spent on baldness research and drugs like rogaine and propecia than is spent on breast cancer research. talk about getting priorities wrong...
  • Reply 10 of 53
    If I could see what I would look like bald, without having to be bald (or closely shaven) I might consider doing it. It seems like such a change, I dont know man. I need assurance...so...let's turn this thread into a "get Messiahtosh to buzz his head" thread.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Take a pic for me...like how close are we talking?

Happily. I'll have a shave tomorrow and post you a picture of my skull.

(Note to self: stop posting in forums on the internet.)
  • Reply 12 of 53
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

If I could see what I would look like bald, without having to be bald (or closely shaven) I might consider doing it. It seems like such a change, I dont know man. I need assurance...so...let's turn this thread into a "get Messiahtosh to buzz his head" thread.

got photoshop?
  • Reply 13 of 53
    I dont actually, if I posted a pic of me with hair, could someone do it? haha, this is hillarious.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

I dont actually, if I posted a pic of me with hair, could someone do it?.

of course, this is the internet. you'll also receive approximately 2 pictures of you fornicating with something, 3-5 pictures of your head on someone elses body, and an animated .gif using your ugly mug that says "you're a retard!"

but, such is the internet.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Hair transplants are a crock, so is the scalp pulling technique among other methods.

Losing your hair already?
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Hair transplants are a crock, so is the scalp pulling technique among other methods.

Losing your hair already?

Yeah, genetics suck sometimes.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Messiahtosh I've never been out with a bald man myself but you do know they say they're better lovers? A friend of mine is married to a bald guy and she's one of the most happily married people I know. He has a brother and they both went bald at a very young age. The brother had transplants and it's a shocker of a job! It looks like little tufts of grass have been planted all over his head. He's single and desperate.

Buzz that head now 'tosh! Ignore Mom. You're 18 well and truly old enough to do whatever you want with your own hair.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    A friend of mine, who is not balding at all, or showing any signs that he will bald any time soon(he's 21) once shaved his head, he wanted to do something fun with it though so first he shaved off just the top, leaving a ring of hair around his ears and the back of his head.

it made him look 10 years older, it was hilarious.

then after that he had a big 'A' shaved into the back of his head. A for Adam(his name)

then he shaved it entirely shortly thereafter.

my point is, if you're going to shave your head, have some fun with your hair before you go all the way.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Bah, be a man and just keep what you have left clipped short. Save some money and your dignity.

Exactly. Die it if you feel it's going back too far.

This guy from the 'America's Most Wanted' website has the right idea:

• Reply 20 of 53
    Haha, it would be funny to do it...I mean...look at how I am thinning...maybe cutting it is my best bet?

http://homepage.mac.com/chrisdieugen...otoAlbum9.html

Baby hair...

Two years ago, thick, luscious, sexy hair.

This last one is sepia tone, to reflect my bad mood about my hair loss. LOL, it looks especially bad just after a shower-which is when i took this pic, all wet and thin. Eww