what are those software coupons are?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
When I recieved my powerbook 12 inch G4 back in january, it came with these 3 software coupons. My brother who knows everything about computers says when 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 comes out there free. My friend says there discounts just in case you ordered a computer with jaguar and a couple weeks after panther came out so you are able to get it for $10. Which one is true or if both wrong what is its true purpose. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

When I recieved my powerbook 12 inch G4 back in january, it came with these 3 software coupons. My brother who knows everything about computers says when 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 comes out there free. My friend says there discounts just in case you ordered a computer with jaguar and a couple weeks after panther came out so you are able to get it for $10. Which one is true or if both wrong what is its true purpose. Thanks

The purpose of those coupons is one of the world's unsolved mysteries. In my 4.5 years of using a Mac, I've not once had to use them. But I know they're not for 10.4 .5 or .6. Those will be full price purchases if Apple holds to form.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    News flash: Your brother does not know everything about computers.

However, I do not know exactly what they are for, you may be able to get 10.3 at a reduced price with the coupons. You may be able to put them toward future software purchases, but I know they won't get you 10.x for free.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    they are useless
  • Reply 4 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

they are useless

I like my "unsolved mysteries" explanation better but you're probably more right.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

News flash: Your brother does not know everything about computers.

However, I do not know exactly what they are for, you may be able to get 10.3 at a reduced price with the coupons. You may be able to put them toward future software purchases, but I know they won't get you 10.x for free.

Panther was already on my powerbook. I was using it as an example. Will it give a discount on 10.4,.5, and .6.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I take a coupon to a dealer, I get a free updater CD. Like when I upgraded from 10.0 to 10.1 and 8.0 to 8.1. It only applies to free updates, those that would ultimately cost $20 to ship. They are fairly useless since many dealers would hand those CDs out for free.

I suppose there may be the possibility of a situation where buyers of 10.y would be eligible for a free 10.z upgrade, whereas people on 10.x wouldn't be eligible...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Will it give a discount on 10.4,.5, and .6.

Apple didn't give discounts for 10.2 and 10.3 if you had the coupons; so, I doubt it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    I'm pretty sure I sent one of these puppies in back in 1997 to score myself a free copy of OS 8 for my PowerBook 1400cs.

Ah, the days when you couldn't just punch some info into a web form to qualify for Up-To-Date. Mind you, I do remember Apple sending the CD out to me far faster than I thought they would.