1st Gen iPod owners...time to upgrade?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Any other first gen iPod owner, feeling a bit left out with the software upgrades in 2.x?

Also many of the new accessories are available only to "dock" equipped iPods. Are you going to give in and get a new model?

I can't part with my scroll wheel 5 gig baby. I suppose it could be used as a stationary model at home in my car or living room, with a new mini serving as the portable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    one word: microphone. OK ok three words: microphone/line-in. Err that's hyphenated, maybe just two?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    You mean, it hasnt died yet!?

• Reply 3 of 10
    I have a 1st gen. from nov 2001 that I passed on to my kids when I bought a 3rd gen. The 1st gen shows no signs of giving up. What a tank!!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    It certainly isn't time yet, with a new version right around the corner. Hold off a bit longer if you can.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    If only I didn't have a bank manager who would consider such a purchase frivolous given my current circumstances.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    My 1st gen is still going strong. I gave it to my girlfriend last week and got the 15GB.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I've got a 2nd Gen. purchased in Nov. 2002 that's still going strong. I don't care that much (right now) for the features in the latest models, however I probably will soon. The ability to dump digital pictures into it is very attractive.

What I would like very soon is an iPod with more storage. I'd love to go from my 10Gb to 40Gb. I am not impressed, however, with the iPod having all solid-state buttons and scrolling. If the next iPod has the click-wheel, I'll very seriously look into upgrading.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    My first gen is still going strong, i usually get 8hrs of battery life. I'm not ready to give it up, I like having the real buttons around the wheel instead of the buttons that dont button. when my ipod is in my pocket, i just puch the button through my pocket instead of digging out my ipod, thats why i dont want a new one until this guy is absolutely dead. and i dont have the money
  • Reply 9 of 10
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Original iPod=great.

Because I have 70+ gigs of music, a bigger iPod doesn't really help me. I'm considering the mini actually, because it's either a select few or all and the 15 gig isn't all, but it's too much to be a select few.

Just my two cents.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

You mean, it hasnt died yet!?

no. not even close. Gets hours of battery.

Thought they should add more battery life than just 500 charges. I guess I just haven't reached that limit yet.

I mean wouldn't it be great if Apples had the resilience they used to. My high school has Macs that were from before the Mac Plus and they are still used regularly in chem and physics classes with some graphing and other scientific software. Crazy.