Macrumors: PowerMac/display updates imminent

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Head on over to macrumors for the skinny!

No definite date, but it looks to be 23rd or 30th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 151
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Dual PowerMacs and Aluminum Displays?

Wednesday March 17, 2004 11:14 AM EST

Posted by arn

MacRumors has received word that PowerMac and Display updates are in the final stages and should be released shortly. While we've not received a specific date for updates, previous unconfirmed rumors have hinted at March 23rd as the release date. Both PowerMacs (All Dual?) and Apple Displays are expected to be updated simultaneously.

According to sources, the new displays do resemble the recent artist rendition of upcoming Aluminum Displays based on a slide seen in a routine Apple presentation -- with monitor feet resembling the PowerMac G5 handles.

In related news, a number of educational institutions have noted significant price drops in educational PowerMac prices in the past week.
  • Reply 2 of 151
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Of course. I just bought a Formac 17" display. I'm willing to fall on a grenade for the rest of you, however, especially if new dualies come out next week.
  • Reply 3 of 151
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    please may it be before the end of march. i have a couple of grand burning a hole in my pocket for 2 20" displays, and have to have ordered them before the end of the financial year...

30th would be cutting it too fine!
  • Reply 4 of 151
    slssls Posts: 51member
    Sounds great! Will the display line be 17", 20" 23" and 30"? Or will the 17" be discontinued? I think 2x17" is better than 1x20" except when watching DVDs, but that's me.

edit: or perhaps a 17" wide-screen?
  • Reply 5 of 151
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    or a 19"?
  • Reply 6 of 151
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Amazon just dropped their prices on G5 macs

($75 off the 1.6, $125 off the dual G5s) - hopefully

this signals that the upgrade is near.
  • Reply 7 of 151
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Amazon just dropped their prices on G5 macs

($75 off the 1.6, $125 off the dual G5s) - hopefully

this signals that the upgrade is near.

That's part of a general Amazon promotion on desktops, laptops, and other electronics... wouldn't read much into that.
  • Reply 8 of 151
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    nevermind
  • Reply 9 of 151
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I don't want to get anyone too excited...and I can't believe I'm posting this...but as of 3:18 central time on Wednesday...apple.com is down.

Not for me
  • Reply 10 of 151
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    They just changed the front page to a generic G5 Promo. Betcha we'll have news next week on Tuesday. Then a month later in April new iPods and iTMS Europe.
  • Reply 11 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

They just changed the front page to a generic G5 Promo. Betcha we'll have news next week on Tuesday. Then a month later in April new iPods and iTMS Europe.

Dont forget iTMS Canada
  • Reply 12 of 151
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

They just changed the front page to a generic G5 Promo.

I've got to admit, that that makes me go "Hmmm....That's odd."
  • Reply 13 of 151
    I just saw the front page as well. Very telling i think.
  • Reply 14 of 151
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    I think apple.com going back to the generic G5 promo could be a last ditch effort to push sales due to the recent poor reports by "analysts" in regards to current towers sales. Maybe the updated towers are still weeks away at best and Apple is trying to maintain the attention of potential customers. AAPL recovered nicely today, despite the reports which hurt it yesterday. I must say I was expecting at least a minor speed bump when I saw a G5 replacing the recent Filemaker promo.
  • Reply 15 of 151
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, but anyone halfway "in the know" probably isn't going to get a G5 right now, are they?

I wouldn't.

I guess "in the know" is the key phrase here.

You can always count on the casual user or observer to stroll in to an Apple retail store (or call MacWarehouse at 2am) and drop $11,000 on stuff two days before a much-anticipated Macworld keynote.

They're usually found dead in their tool shed three days later, from a self-inflicted beating.
  • Reply 16 of 151
    According to some other forums a new aluminum display will be released along with the rev. b pm...I just googled Aluminum Display? + apple.....it came up with some of these forums but what I found interesting is that an old applensider.com message appeared from Oct. 2003 noting about an aluminum display that will be released soon....(http://www.appleinsider.com/news.php?id=216)Now we have these pictures on AppleInsider (http://forums.appleinsider.com/show...?threadid=39538)

I believe we will have a PM and LCD update on the 23rd.....Anyone see that new splash on apple's homepage....Kinda strange that its there....maybe an indication of our highly-anticipated update......Who knows....We can only sit here and type about what we think(keepin' us busy till it comes)......
  • Reply 17 of 151
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    I doubt Apple would announce ANY products this close to the end of their financial quarter which ends Friday 26th.

Id say the week beginning the 29th is the aerliest?. Also means they wont have to ship immediately without affecting the June quarters accounts.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 18 of 151
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

I doubt Apple would announce ANY products this close to the end of their financial quarter ...

I don't think that has anything to do with Apple releasing new products or not. They're ready when they're ready.

As far as the whole sales thing is concerned, why aren't these so-called journalists comparing the sales of Power Macs vs. the sales of iBooks and PowerBooks? Aren't we trending toward notebooks, and therefore wouldn't it only make sense that Apple is going to see that reflected in Power Mac sales. Now that I write this, I can remember Fred Anderson (Apple's CFO) talking along those lines at one of Apple's quarterly conference calls.

By the way, that Money Magazine article is a complete slam.
  • Reply 19 of 151
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

I doubt Apple would announce ANY products this close to the end of their financial quarter which ends Friday 26th.

Id say the week beginning the 29th is the aerliest?. Also means they wont have to ship immediately without affecting the June quarters accounts.

Just my 2 cents.

Gosh I hate it when people come up with logical explanation.

Why do you have to be right?!?!?!
  • Reply 20 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Both PowerMacs (All Dual?) and Apple Displays are expected to be updated simultaneously.

I could believe shipping dual Xserves and new (updated) Displays. I doubt speed bumped PowerMacs.