Cool OSX software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey i found out on these forums about Konfabulator. It was a really awsome program. Anyone know any really cool, fun and nice looking os X programs. Preferably freeware and something that is integrates into the OS like Konfabulator. But really anything could be posted.

Lets put together a big list of OSX top sweet software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Not all "fun" like Konfabulator, but I like 'em:

PhotoStickies - Great for so many reasons. (Well the wife don't know, but the men understand. To paraphrase Howlin' Wolf)

Exif Untrasher - Find those pics you boss or ex-boss thought he erased when he borrowed your camera. Now -that's- fun.

WebDesktop

Desktop Manager

XShelf

iSeek

Desktastic

PathFinder

DragThing

Drop Drawers X

Unison

NetNewsWire

All on versiontracker or Macupdate
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

*hum-diddly-dee*

Now march right back there and edit in a description of what all those little apps do Mr Q. (Please?)
  • Reply 3 of 30
    My list (all freeware -- I'm a tight-arse):

1) VLC - Excellent media player for DVD, VCD, .avi, .mov, .mpg and almost anything else you throw at it

2) Cellulo - Promising media player that, with a divX plug-in, plays almost as much as VLC, has good dual screen capabilities and allows you to organise your movies like you do your music in iTunes

3) Poisoned - The internet file sharing app for the exchange of- er... non-copyrighted material

4) CCC - The data back-up program -- by all accounts reliable and, by my account, easy to use.

5) Blender - Yes its free. And its a 3D app. Yes, its free. Stop saying "Really?" -- If you are interested in awesome 3D, then this could be the start of a wonderful new relationship.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Now march right back there and edit in a description of what all those little apps do Mr Q. (Please?)

WebDesktop - Nice one window, full screen web browser that sits behind the desktop. I set it to CNN and it refreshes every 5 minutes. Opacity set to like 10 or 20 so the background image shows through. Nice.

Desktop Manager - A multiple desktop program with a pager (palette showing each desktop). Basically a Codetek VirtualDesktop Por clone but better in my opinion (less bloated)

XShelf - Lil shelf on which to temporarily set items onto when dragging to another place or places. Plus a few other features.

iSeek - Like Safari's Google bar but in the main menubar across all apps. FAR more powerful too, many search engines and is customizable to add your own.

Desktastic - Fun semi-useless semi-useful thing that lets you draw either on the desktop or over the entire screen. Best with a Wacom tablet.

PathFinder - FinderKiller is a better name. This app does it right. What can't it do?

DragThing - Best launcher around. Highly configurable. Not quite as needed as it was in Mac OS 9 perhaps. But I love it still.

Drop Drawers X - Basically multiple clipboards that are springloaded and reside on screen edges activated by tabs or keystrokes. Drag and drop onto them and mix and match all kinds of data types. Really cool.

Unison - New, nice NNTP newsgroup reader. Very mac-like.

NetNewsWire - Nice RSS news feed headline thingamabob. Beats going to 50 websites just to see the headlines. (Of course it links to the read articles)

That's about it for now.

Oh and:

CanCombineIcons is a cool icon compositor if you are into that sort of thing.

Does Corel Painter count? I love that app...wish it was Adobe's....or Apple's....
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Here's my current must-have list.

(excluding VLC and CCC from above)

Freeware PithHelmet: blocks banner ads and stops animations in Safari. I never use Safari without it.

Shareware Graphic Converter: the graphic tool I can't live without. The only shareware "limitation" is a nag screen at startup. I have Photoshop; yet, I constantly find myself going to GC because it can do a number of jobs quicker and better, often with more options on the tools I want to use (sharpen filters, for example). Apple includes GC with the Power* computers for good reason. It's awesome.

Freeware SubEthaEdit: the coolest code editor out there. It has many built-in modules for syntax and you can write your own. I use it for HTML, CSS, Java, PHP -- I've even written myself a plugin so I can use it for my x86 assembly class! SubEthaEdit also takes advantage of Rendezvous for a really cool feature: paired (or team) programming. Get some of your buddies to share the file and work together on it in real time. What else can this app do? How about a real-time updated display window as you write HTML code? Yup.

Shareware Snapz Pro X: the ultimate screen-capture tool. You can capture the whole screen, specific elements, a manual selection, and even movies with sound. It can resize, watermark, and thumbnail images automatically and can save your images in a variety of formats.

Freeware MenuMeters: a free tool that puts info about your computer in your menubar. It's highly customizable and has options for CPU usage, memory usage, network throughput, and disk activity. I have it show network throughput and CPU usage on all my Macs.

Shareware Transmit: hands-down, the best FTP client for Mac OS X. Just search the forums here and you'll find oodles of testimonials recommending Transmit.

Shareware BrickHouse: a free/shareware (no limitations) utility that gives you advanced customization of Mac OS X's built-in firewall. It offers many more controls over IP and port blocking including logging options and multiple configurations.

Shareware Pacifist: lets you manually extract the contents of installer packages. Pacifist is very handy for extracting parts from OS X's installer CDs, for example. The only shareware limitation is a nag screen.

Shareware Everything from the Omni Group: nuf said. OmniWeb 5 (beta), OmniDictionary, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner... they're all fantastic tools. Check them out ASAP.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Ditto anything Omni and Transmit.

I love OmniGraffle and OmniOutliner
  • Reply 7 of 30
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Inquisitor

Love it! Live it!
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Inquisitor

Love it! Live it!

Oooh, nice, thanks HOM...
  • Reply 9 of 30
    johnq,

I certainly like the idea of WebDesktop -- I have a copy of Desktop Movie Player filed away which pretty much does the same thing for movies, but also shares the same problem -- it disappears when you select Exposé: Desktop. And I just can't be bothered to hide all windows to see it -- kinda defeats the object of it being "in the background".

Drop Drawers X is a good idea too, but it doesn't look and feel Mac enough for me. I think I'll leave X shelf activated though -- see if I use it.

I'm putting Desktop Manager through its paces now. It seems to be quite a nice and light implementation but a bit rough around the edges (mainly graphics-wise).

HOM,

Inquisitor seems stunning after preliminary usage. Goddamn, its fast!

Brad,

I don't have a copy of Graphic Convertor on my PB Its not one of those apps that's not included on the install CD is it, so that if you clean re-install it is lost from you forever?

This is definitely a thread for the bookmarks...
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

I don't have a copy of Graphic Convertor on my PB Its not one of those apps that's not included on the install CD is it, so that if you clean re-install it is lost from you forever?

Apple's been including it with the PowerBooks for a long time. Check your Software Restore CDs. You will have to reinstall it if you have erased your drive.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

1) VLC - Excellent media player for DVD, VCD, .avi, .mov, .mpg and almost anything else you throw at it

2) Cellulo - Promising media player that, with a divX plug-in, plays almost as much as VLC, has good dual screen capabilities and allows you to organise your movies like you do your music in iTunes

3) Poisoned - The internet file sharing app for the exchange of- er... non-copyrighted material

4) CCC - The data back-up program -- by all accounts reliable and, by my account, easy to use.

5) Blender - Yes its free. And its a 3D app. Yes, its free. Stop saying "Really?" -- If you are interested in awesome 3D, then this could be the start of a wonderful new relationship.

dude, those are all awesome programs, especially cellulo and poisoned!
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Inquisitor

Love it! Live it!

thanks buddy
  • Reply 13 of 30
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    A-Dock is a really nice freeware augmentation utility for the standard dock. The OS X version is to my knowledge, still freeware. It's been a huge help for me, since I've got my dock cluttered up with application icons that make it too cramped for my folders.

Deja Menu allows you to use a key combination (Cmd-Shift-M default) to bring up the menu bar as a contextual menu on your screen, at the cursor point. It's billed as a handy tool for people with big/multiple monitors, but it's also been a great help on my iBook, since I still can't seem to use my trackpad right.

X-Assist is a nice menu utility for people who miss the function of OS 9's application menu.

There's also X Resource Graph, a good resource managment utility which also doubles as a stock and weather checker.

Sputnik is simply awesome. I don't know what else to say.

All of those are free and available on either VT or MacUpdate.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    oh yeah, simplechord!
  • Reply 15 of 30
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Everyone has some nice choices, so mine are a bit different:

Use VNC server ( on OS X ) with win2vnc ( on windows ) to control my Mac from my windows keyboard and mouse. Really cleans up my desktop, and it supports cut an paste between the two systems, so its nearly seamless.

My other choice is the Aqua version of Lyx. Its not super pretty, but it makes technical writing sooooo much easier.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Use the DVD that came with your 'book to install it. When you put it in the drive, you've have an option to install the software that was included with your powerbook. It will install a little program called "software restore" in your utilities folder. Use that to install it. HTH. BTW, I think Graphic converter is overrated. The best app that came with the powerbook is Art Director's Toolkit. One of a kind.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    any software for playing dvd's on the powerbook or other apple

world wide?
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by kollective2002

any software for playing dvd's on the powerbook or other apple

world wide?

Do you mean region-free?

You'll have to modify your hardware for that. Regioning is really out of the software developers hands. The drive detects and handles region code before the software sees it. Most drives can be "flashed" into a region-free mode, but it is a risky procedure and risks damaging the drive.
  • Reply 19 of 30
  • Reply 20 of 30
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

that poisioned link didn't work... whats a good site to get that?