Best Non-Apple Mouse and Monitor?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could tell be the best non-apple 2 button mouse+ scroll that matches with the rest of Apple.

Also I was wondering if you tell me what the best flat panel monitor is around 17"(Apple or not). I like to play games occasionally, and I heard of problems with Apple's displays. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by SwitchingSoon

..squiggles...

*looks at sig* Whoa, you got $$$
  • Reply 2 of 29
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I have been using Microsoft Mice for years. They really are tough little suckers.

Currently on the silver IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. I am sure you can find this from www.microsoft.com/hardware. Oh, and It kind of matches the powerbook!

It's not an even shape tho, so if you are a southpaw it might not be the best one to choose.

[EDIT]

Looks like this is the replacement to mine. I have never used the new side-to-side scroll wheels, so I cant comment.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/mouseand...s.aspx?pid=003

And If I were going to get a new one, I'd prolly go for this one... http://www.microsoft.com/uk/mouseand...s.aspx?pid=001

[/EDIT]
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Thanks.

I was warned about macmice because the guy was the same creator of Mactables (if you know the whole scandal there). But if it sounds alright, then I guess I'll go with it.

EDIT: sorry, misread and thought your first sentence said macmice. my bad!

Ew..microsoft....
  • Reply 4 of 29
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    My future Apple Macintosh: PowerMac G5 Dual 3ghz 512 MB RAM ATI 9800 Pro 17" Apple Display Metallic Blue iPod mini iTique Speakers for iPod and Computer Metallic, wireless, optical mouse All-in-one printer, copier, scanner

Come on, if you are going to go that big, do not, I repeat, DO NOT leave the standard 512MB of RAM in that B. Put at least 1 gig in. If you don't have a need for at LEAST gig of RAM, you don't need a G5 that speed!

My opinion at least...
  • Reply 5 of 29
    hehe....you're right. I actually plan on upgrading it--by myself that is.

I was just putting what i would buy directly from Apple.

Paying Apple to upgrade it is not worth the money.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

...And If I were going to get a new one, I'd prolly go for this one... http://www.microsoft.com/uk/mouseand...s.aspx?pid=001

Really bad battery life on that isn't there? And only non-rechargeable batteries?

I want to buy a mouse for my PB. I will only get a wireless one *without a dongle*/base station -- that leaves bluetooth. I will only get a bluetooth mouse with several buttons (for gaming) and a scroll wheel (for surfing) -- that leaves the above Microsoft model. I would only get the above model if it had good battery life and allowed rechargability somehow. It doesn't. That leaves nothing. I'm screwed.

\
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Good lord if you are shelling out for that system why are you attaching it to a tiny 17" monitor?

I suggest the Dell 2001FP - 20" 1600X1200 goodness with a 16ns response time - perfect for gaming. And you simply can't beat the price - I got mine for $750 new (they had a 25% off sale - they come around quite frequently). Overall it's a beautiful monitor.

Oh, and i love my Logitech MX 700 wireless mouse.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    I've also heard good things about the Dell FP monitor. But IMO, flat panels still have a ways to go before I'd use them. The response time, even at 16ms, is still not good enough for me and FP still can't touch CRTs for color-critical work.

As far as my favorite mouse goes - I'm using the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 as well and it's very nice. For retouching work where I want an even smaller and more nimble mouse I use the MS Wheelmouse Optical. The latter only has two buttons and a scrollwheel but it just has a better feel for precision work.

Just my 2 bits...

C.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    You want to go buy yourself a Silicon Graphics 1600SW Flat panel with MLA, and a Logitech MX310 mouse. It's like an orgasm in your hand.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Whatever you do, go to an Office Max and try out a bunch of mice first before you decide on one. People's choice of mouse is usually pretty personal, and what one person loves, another will hate. Personally, I love the Logitech MX700. My brother on the other hand likes Logitech's standard optical wheel mouse, and isn't a fan of sloped mice even though he's right-handed. My parents both prefer Apple's one-button mice since they've been using Macs for many years, and as you can see, there are a lot of differing opinions here as to which mouse is the best.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

It's like an orgasm in your hand.

You gotta work on your technique.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

I have been using Microsoft Mice for years. They really are tough little suckers.

The Microsoft mice are really light and bad for precise handling. The Logitech mice have a much nicer weight and feel to them. Both are way more chintsey than anything Apple offers.

As for monitors, there are many options out there. Samsung makes a good product. So, apparently, does Formac, and they cater specifically to the Apple market.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

I've also heard good things about the Dell FP monitor. But IMO, flat panels still have a ways to go before I'd use them. The response time, even at 16ms, is still not good enough for me and FP still can't touch CRTs for color-critical work.

C.

Don't you use a PC? I don't know any PC users in places where color matters that much. anyway. . . .

I actually get paid to design stuff. A lot of it is CAD, but I have a lot of brochure/marketing to do as well. LCD's are right there, and it's my opinion that they're a lot more consistent than CRT's are. A color calibration tool and a good LCD are just fine.

If you can see LCD flicker, you're a mutant, since CRT's hurt my eyes even at 85Hz.

But the huge thing is that you can fit two or three LCD's on you desk and still have a ton of room for stuff. By stuff I mean plans, documentation, other brochures/flyers/magazines, laptop computers, etc.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    Looks like I'm suddenly in the market for a new mouse - my apple mouse just bit the dust (loose connection finally gave out, then I .. uh.. "went to work" on it..)

I'm not really into wireless mice - too many batteries & other messing around. This time I'll probably get a 2 or 3 button with scroll wheel so that I can play around with Blender
  • Reply 15 of 29
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    Logitech MX-700 is the mussouse of choice!

It also has a built in rechargable battery.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Don't you use a PC? I don't know any PC users in places where color matters that much. anyway. . . .

I actually get paid to design stuff. A lot of it is CAD, but I have a lot of brochure/marketing to do as well. LCD's are right there, and it's my opinion that they're a lot more consistent than CRT's are. A color calibration tool and a good LCD are just fine.

If you can see LCD flicker, you're a mutant, since CRT's hurt my eyes even at 85Hz.

But the huge thing is that you can fit two or three LCD's on you desk and still have a ton of room for stuff. By stuff I mean plans, documentation, other brochures/flyers/magazines, laptop computers, etc.

LCD's don't flicker. You probably don't see CRTS flicker at 85hz unless your moving or making low tones from your voice box.

LCD's simply are not used for color...they just can't produce an image that is almost exactly what the final print will be, and mostly just because LCD's are too bright and vivid.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I have one of the new Microsoft cordless optical mice with the tilting scroll wheel It works fine in panther but the scroll wheel has a tendancy to overrun which can be a bit annoying. The side tilt doesnt do anything..... However the mouse seems to work better in my Mac than on a PC running XP!!
  • Reply 18 of 29
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    The Logitech MX 700 is the best mouse by far.

The MS cordless mice I've used are garbage.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel:

I have a PC at home but I earn a living off a Mac - high end photoshop, page layout, etc.. That said I sometimes do PS work at home so color calibration is important there as well.

Quote:

LCDs, while they are getting better, don't have the sophisticated hardware color calibration features that you can get with a good CRT. Color consistancy and repeatablity are still superior on a CRT.

Quote:

It's not flicker while doing 2D work you have to worry about with a LCD, I'm talking more about gaming and watching videos on an LCD where ghosting is a concern. CRTs are still the best for HC gaming. I usually never run a montitor at less than 100-120 Hz anyway as I too can "see" 85 Hz.

LCDs do have the small footprint, but if you have the space, I'd still recommend a good CRT for many applications.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Traditionally LCDs were notorious for ghosting. These 16ms response time LCDs however are quick enough where ghosting isn't an issue anymore (although a small percentage of people still say they see ghosting on these monitors, I personally think it is a combination of other things - also a DVI connection vs VGA makes a difference). I am far from an expert, but I have heard that the 60Hz on an LCD != 60Hz on a CRT. I tend to get migraine headaches from eyestrain, and anything less than 100Hz on a CRT sets me off - 60Hz on an LCD is fine.

I game on my 2001FP all the time, many FPSs (Urban Terror, Halo, and I just finished Max Payne 2 - I have a Mac and PC both hooked to the LCD).

Check out this link from Anandtech - this thing isn't bad for gaming - even for die-hard FPSsers: Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP Preview: Gaming LCDs for the Masses

You are correct about exact color reproduction - if you are in a print shop you are going to be using a CRT, plain and simple. But LCDs are getting closer and closer to the accurate color reproduction CRTs can achieve. My advice: if you don't do print work for a living, do yourself and your eyes a favor and get an LCD if you can afford it!