Macrumors: PowerMac/display updates imminent

Comments

• Reply 41 of 151
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    From MOSR:

Quote:

...the simple fact that NAB is an event where Apple has traditionally rolled out new professional hardware and software in the past...

Is it true or they say whatever they want? Anyone knows?
  • Reply 42 of 151
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

From MOSR:

Is it true or they say whatever they want? Anyone knows?

Yes, that is true, except the hardware they are talking about (Pmacs) were 'announced' by Apple at a different event (WWDC/MWSF).

Apple does 'announce' new software products/revisions for NAB - such as FCP, Shake, DVD Studio Pro, etc.

You got caught by their misleading but technically accurate wording of 'rolling' out new hardware.

I doubt Apple would announce PMacs then, probably earlier.
  • Reply 43 of 151
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Is it true or they say whatever they want? Anyone knows? [/B]

NOT true. MOSR makes up stuff to fit their needs
  • Reply 44 of 151
    powerpcpowerpc Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Now in Colors:

Not really

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are....that's funny right there!

Git-R-done!
  • Reply 45 of 151
    alephaleph Posts: 15member
    March 30 looks like a plausible date for the G5 updates when you look at the cheap memory offering from Apple for G5 and iMac (ends march 27).

One glithc in this theory: in Europe this offering expires only on may 8.

Anyone an idea? Let's hope we don't have to wait even longer over here (like with the mini iPod).
  • Reply 46 of 151
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    people put way too much emphasis on the expiration dates on those offers.
  • Reply 47 of 151
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    I think they announced the orignal Power Mac G4's at NAB way back when..............................

Not sure though..
  • Reply 48 of 151
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

people put way too much emphasis on the expiration dates on those offers.

As I recall, not always, but certainly a decent amount of the time promo expiration dates have been a good marker.
  • Reply 49 of 151
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i start work on the 29th, and they intentionally put off my start date in the hopes that the mac they have to buy me will go down in price due to rumors that the poop will hit the propeller on the 23rd.

i have no idea of the legitimacy of that rumor, but it might get me a dual 2 ghz at my new job nice and cheap-ish.

• Reply 50 of 151
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tink

I think they announced the orignal Power Mac G4's at NAB way back when..............................

Not sure though..

Nope. Not NAB.
  • Reply 51 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

...given the unexpected PowerBook SuperDrive back in Nov 2002 when everyone predicted that no, it coudn't happen.

Especially me, who bought a TiBook 800 in fall 2002, right before superdrives appeared! Luckily I got a cheap external DVD burner recently.

Matthew
  • Reply 52 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Nope. Not NAB.

Wasn't it Seybold '99?
  • Reply 53 of 151
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    The rumor mill is in pre MacWorld expo-like excitement and frenzy. Good times, the next 20 days should be interesting.
  • Reply 54 of 151
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

The rumor mill is in pre MacWorld expo-like excitement and frenzy. Good times, the next 20 days should be interesting.

I know isn't it kinda crazy? I mean apple hasn't updated any products in a long time... now they are getting criticized... we all are foaming at the mouth... GIVE US POWER
  • Reply 55 of 151
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    an apple store employee told me today (monday) that he didnt think anything was coming out soon, but he seemed really confused, and i think he thought i was asking about a pbook g5. we'll see....
  • Reply 56 of 151
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

an apple store employee told me today (monday) that he didnt think anything was coming out soon, but he seemed really confused, and i think he thought i was asking about a pbook g5. we'll see....

Ofcourse he is going to tell you that. He is in the business of selling what is in the store, not what is coming in a later revision. Plus those people never know anything, period.
  • Reply 57 of 151
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Now in Colors:

Not really

YES YES OH GOD YES
  • Reply 58 of 151
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I will be in an apple store way out of town on the 30th I hope to see metalic displays...or something even cooler
  • Reply 59 of 151
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well personally I think something is coming tomorrow. Why? Because, like the FileMaker graphic last week, I just don't think another week or two of a lame, everyone's-seen-it-already pic of a G5 makes any sense.

Either they'll start rotating some other current hardware in there OR they'll be releasing SOMETHING tomorrow (Tuesday, March 23). That's just my gut feeling on it.

Might not be new G5s or displays (but you never know). Might just be bumped PowerBooks (aren't they due?) or some sort of iTMS-related stuff. Remember how that iBook G4 came out of left field last autumn and NONE of us were expecting it? Well...

In any case, do we REALLY think they're going to keep that G5 graphic up there until the 30th? Or April? Not likely. There ain't anything THAT special about it (like FileMaker's niche appeal...a 3-5 homepage graphic, TOPS).

And I called the FileMaker thing correctly too...the day or so after I said "this thing CAN'T stay up here too long...nobody cares!" ( ), the G5 graphic went up. Same with this G5 graphic after nearly a week...I'm quite sure it's merely a VERY temporary placeholder.

I'm betting by noon tomorrow, the G5 will be gone. What it's replaced with is anyone's guess.
  • Reply 60 of 151
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    I agree, why would they put up an old product like that, its gotta be temporary