my mother wants to buy an eMac this weekend...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
any idea on when the next update for the eMac is...she has a four year old pc that she was going to replace in may...i had talked her into getting an eMac at that time...but this last week her computer has been making funny noises and she bumped up the shopping trip to this weekend...the current eMac would be fine for her (internet, email, working in word etc), but i might convince her to wait a couple of weeks if the eMac is one of the items to be updated next week to a month...other than that and i will just let her get one now...any crystal balls out there showing a new eMac??

g

good to see neworder helping out with the iPod4 rumors....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think you should just get a refurbished 1 GHz one while you can. They're very cheap and definitely good enough for what she'll want to do. A 1 GHz/Combo is only $650 from the Special Deals section. After they are updated, I'm not sure if there will still be refurbs available. Even if they are, they probably won't drop in price very much. I mean, how much cheaper can you get?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hey, congrats on having such a smart Mom!

I could go either way on this one, g. As Luca mentions, you can get a 1GHz eMac for around $650 and it would totally suit her.

BUT, according to our own AppleInsider, the iMac and eMacs have been EOL'ed, so...

There's part of me that would tough it out one more month, just to see what might come in April.

I don't know...this is a tough one. You're right on that cusp of going either way.

Practically-speaking, probably getting the $650 1GHz refurb is wisest. If she's just surfing, e-mailing and doing stuff in Word, she'll be more than set. Besides, honestly what could the next eMac possibly be? Not a G5, surely. Probably just a slightly bumped G4 and USB 2.0.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    apple is pumping the pm's and a huge ram deal not to mention the other little deals, like the epson printer discount with the ibook and all of this savings expire on the 27th of march so........

wait a week or two, but certinly get over there and backup her data this weekend...just in case
  • Reply 4 of 15
    sailfishsailfish Posts: 163member
    Don't wait, go ahead and get a eMac while the iron is hot. Especially with a person used to using a PC.

I have learned from experience, get them right away or some idiot down the street will give her a old PC for cheap/free.

Power isn't what she needs, a new speed bumped eMac is just going to cost more and your going to lose a switcher and a happy person.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    might try and convince her to go the refurb route...she really likes my iMac FP and orginally wanted that (actually she was shopping dell and wanted a computer for a grand or less...couldn't get one of the dells under 1100 when she brought it up to specs that she wanted and a flat screen...can't get a flat screen apple for that either but i showed her that the eMac on the swivel is kinda like a flat screen) but it is hard to get the iMac around a thousand...1400 sure, 1100 not likely...but i didn't think about the refrubs....

refurb eMac--1GHz/128MB/40GB/Combo---649, add swivel 49, add some ram for about $100 (gets you 256 at apple...likely 512 at crucial), add applecare (a must for a refurb) 119 (edu), and you get $917 for a nice computer for her

refurb iMac--800MHz/256MB/60GB/Combo--899, add apple care for 119 and you get $1018....slightly slower, slightly more HD, slightly less ram (since 100 bucks at crucial should get the eMac up to 640 total i think)...

so the eMac would be slightly faster, slightly larger screen but bulkier

the iMac would be slightly slower, slightly smaller screen but has a smaller footprint and has that floating screen she loves....

g
  • Reply 6 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I bought my Mom an eMac and it's perfect for her. The shakedown to using OS X was practically nonexistent because she hardly uses the machine's power anyway. Faster, stronger, smarter than she'll ever, ever, ever need.

Do it.

Do it.

Do it.

Hey, you're using my line.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    well she went to compusa today without me and now she wants a 17" iMac (she wants a big screen because she is worried that her eyesight will go down as she gets older)...she was even looking at the G5 towers...dang...she went from only wanting to spend a grand to look at double and triple that...they must have a good salesman there...anyways...i will push her gently to the eMac (17 inch screen vs 17 inch screen) and then let her purchase anything she wants

g
  • Reply 8 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    get her the flat panel. that will mean more to her than a little extra speed or HD space.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    and looks better
  • Reply 10 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

well she went to compusa today without me and now she wants a 17" iMac (she wants a big screen because she is worried that her eyesight will go down as she gets older)...she was even looking at the G5 towers...dang...she went from only wanting to spend a grand to look at double and triple that...they must have a good salesman there...anyways...i will push her gently to the eMac (17 inch screen vs 17 inch screen) and then let her purchase anything she wants

g

If she want an Imac, let here buy one. Life is too short : we have to make ourself happy.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    eric jeric j Posts: 43member
    Hi ,

My needs are similar. My 2-year old eMac is fine. At 75 years old my eyesight is far from perfect but the 17 inch screen is OK.

Two comments:

-The eMac is very heavy if you need to change its position.

- IMHO, it's better to wait a year after model changes are introduced so that any problems can be discovered and remedied. - ie. don't go for a newly-issued model.

Peace

ejc
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by eric j

Hi ,

My needs are similar. My 2-year old eMac is fine. At 75 years old my eyesight is far from perfect but the 17 inch screen is OK.

Peace

ejc

thanks eric...at 75 i would guess you are the oldest "junior" member on this board...good to have you here...

g

as for her getting the iMac over the eMac, i am fine with that, but have two slight reservations...1) she orginally only wanted to spend a grand...she will be doubling that if she goes the 17" iMac route...and 2) she will have a nicer computer than me and that will gnaw at me insides till i am forced to get the dual 2.6 PM with 30" lcd
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Let her get the imac. It is alot more portable then the emac. She will love the swival screen that comes with imac. It would be funny when your mom finally decides to get a new computer the imac G4 became the imac G5. Sorry for the rough grammer. I didn't drink my coffee yet.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Don't know that this would sway your decision, but it seems like Outpost has a sale on certain items this week, 17" iMac is $1699. Free shipping over $500... not too bad.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3791866
  • Reply 15 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    If she's worried about degrading eye sight, she really should consider the CRT as an advantage. You can bump down the resolution on a CRT without degrading picture quality. On the LCD, you're stuck with the native resolution or fuzziness at lower resolutions.