Aluminum Display - (Apple slideshow leak?)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 115
    Heh. Nice comeback.

(And my 500th post, )
  • Reply 82 of 115
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I think you need to make "bow" say "box" in your sig...

I wasn't refering to your design, i was sayign that in general an aluminium case might not look as good as the current plastic one. However, i really liked your design, especially the white Apple, which would hopefuly glow!!

I'll change my sig later, thanks, i hadn't noticed that!!
  • Reply 83 of 115
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    a) it wasn't a "comeback" and b) I didn't think you were talking about my design.

I simply saw your sig and tried to read it about 6 times and it made no sense. Then I figured out why, so I let you know.
  • Reply 84 of 115
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I prefer the 'original' design! I think the aluminium design shown doesn't work. I hope apple come up with something a little more stylish and flashy!

It will be. What you can't see in Maskers mockup are all the tiny horizontal lines engraved in the aluminum.
  • Reply 85 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

It will be. What you can't see in Maskers mockup are all the tiny horizontal lines engraved in the aluminum.

• Reply 86 of 115
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

[/B]

That is an interesting future display suggestion. Good work Paul!
  • Reply 87 of 115
    I've thought about this some more (thinking about those wondering about instability and so forth) and here's something to consider:

I measured a few monitors around the office, just to see where the bottom of the display starts. 6" seems to be about the average. And maybe even going to 8" isn't too bad an idea, raising the entire display to more of a comfortable eye-sight level.

So instead of my drawing above, with a short base, what about a much taller base area (thinking of the TAM).

In that generous amount of space, much weight could be added (enough to safely and securely "anchor" the display firmly to a table or desk, making sure nothing is ever going to tip over). That would be a large expanse of aluminum on the front of the display, below the screen itself, BUT how about this: break up that ocean of aluminum with G5-inspired holes? Since this is meant to pair with the G5, it would help in the matching. The base could curve back slightly, like the G5 "legs" also, to help with the whole "they go together" thing.

[NOTE: the "holes" clogged up and came out a bit weird when I rasterized the Illustrator file.]

And since Apple displays come with USB ports, borrow another design tip from the G5: put the power button and 2 USB ports ON THE FRONT, as the G5 tower does. Have them look the same (mounted inside a little rectangle) on the left side of the display too.

Since many G5s are set on the floor, having an easily accessible USB port for digital cameras, flash drives, etc. on the front of the display (goodness knows we'll have the room) just makes sense.
  • Reply 88 of 115
    You're design has got a 'cool' factor but it isn't very Apple, it needs to be more simple. Also apple have never copied the computer exactly, the G4's never fully matched the monitors, this allowed for new powermacs to be made. Thirdly, I couldn;t see a six inch gap, look at the previous apple displays! \
  • Reply 89 of 115
    The Apple Cinema and Studio Display most certainly DID match the G4 (which is why they look so damn goofy and out-of-place beside a G5)!

The displays were silver, plastic, sporting curves and acrylic/clear accents. About the only thing that changed was going from a graphite Apple logo on back to more of a silver one, over time.

But those displays paired BEAUTIFULLY with the G4, even when the G4 underwent a few cosmetic changes (Sawtooth to Quicksilver to Mirror Door). They both had the same powdery silver, glossy look. The gentle curves and clear accents remained throughout all revisions.

As for the 6", I don't know. It's not a "gap" if there's something there (holes, a logo, power/USB, etc.).

I don't think they could just leave it blank aluminum, you're right.

As for simple, yeah probably. But again, in my drawings, I've put strokes around things and I'd assume Apple would engineer a tight, neat look. The drawings look cluttered because I'm trying to show that division/swing area where the "U" cradle meets the display proper.

As for "look at the previous Apple displays", two things:

1. I've probably "looked at them" more than you could ever imagine.

and...

2. So what? Since when does the "previous version" of anything mean everything? Does the LCD iMac look anything remotely like the jellybean iMac? Does today's iBook look like the orange and blue "toilet seat" iBooks from 1999? The G5 deviated from the G4, the G4 PowerBook from the black, upside-down-logo PowerBooks too.

I doubt Apple would simply slap some aluminum on today's displays and call it "done". I'm sure any new displays will look pretty different from what we're used to!
  • Reply 90 of 115
    pscates,

you should try making the speaker grill smaller, and moving the powerbutton to the dead middle offset down a little. then put each port on either side of the button.

i could do it, but the iMac i'm on only has graphic converter from 1999.

it would be cool if it could have firewire800/400 optical/analog sound ports on the side.

-walloo.
  • Reply 91 of 115
    bandalaybandalay Posts: 116member

(With apologies to the original artist)

via iHub AAPL Discussion board link
  • Reply 92 of 115
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    pscates,

I really like your design, I'm picturing it on my glass desk, with silver legs and edges, and thinking that would look great in the spot of my huge 19'' CRT monitor! However, the USB ports and whatever else is there, should be on the right side, which would make more sence because of the mouse being on the right side. Anyway's I am excited to see what Apple designs, or already designed!
  • Reply 93 of 115
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Since many G5s are set on the floor, having an easily accessible USB port for digital cameras, flash drives, etc. on the front of the display (goodness knows we'll have the room) just makes sense.

Your design you doesn't look bad, pscates. But to me it looks more like a large screen TV that would go in a living room (ignoring the dimensions you indicate). The large "bottom" looks too heavy compared to the current design's open legs.

There is no question Apple should re-introduce speakers into its monitors, like the good old AV monitors. Front-mounted USB ports would be very useful too, as long as there are back-mounted ones for the keyboard and mouse as well. Finally, if we're going to add USB ports to the front for cameras, we might as well make them USB 2.0 and add FireWire ports to the bezel. After all, any self-respecting camera (or at least CF Card reader) runs on FireWire. I say: two USB port in the back of the screen, one USB 2.0 and one FireWire 400 in front.

Escher
  • Reply 94 of 115
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

There is no question Apple should re-introduce speakers into its monitors, like the good old AV monitors. Front-mounted USB ports would be very useful too, as long as there are back-mounted ones for the keyboard and mouse as well. Finally, if we're going to add USB ports to the front for cameras, we might as well make them USB 2.0 and add FireWire ports to the bezel. After all, any self-respecting camera (or at least CF Card reader) runs on FireWire. I say: two USB port in the back of the screen, one USB 2.0 and one FireWire 400 in front.

I disagree about speakers and can certainly do without them. As for Firewire, since ADC doesn't support Firewire, might as well do away with ADC too. I'd like to see ports for USB 2 and Firewire on the front of new displays but without ADC there would then have to be four cables coming out of the back of the display; Power, DVI, USB 2, and Firewire. Apple probably won't go for that. They'll probably just stick with ADC, and no Firewire port.
  • Reply 95 of 115
    the new monitors will look differnet, yes, but still look Apple, i just don;t think your design is very Apple! As for the 6 " i have an Apple CRT in front of me with a 5 " gap. BUT lcd's don;t have such a bug gap in my experience. Secondly i don;t want Apple to slap on aluminium, which is what it looks like you've done a little bit. Apple revolutionise and lok outside the box, i think we're going to get a radical design that matches the G5 but doesn;t look identical, after all none of the G4s looked identical, hence if there are modifications the future computer will go
  • Reply 96 of 115
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    just a thought, because while the imac's arm can handle even a 20" screen, can it really hold a 23-30" screen? but still, recall the initial quicktime movies for the imac. apple wanted a screen that seemed to "defy gravity," which is the only thing i think that nixes your design, pscates. steve would hate to "see the tethers to the table" like that at the hinges and swivels.

instead, could it be possible to use MULTIPLE imac arms for the back of the display? if there were two, and a larger weighted stand, then you could really support a lot of weight, still provide a wide range of motion, and make the screen looked "untethered."

of course, like others have said, "i'm not an engineer," but i used to be one for a year and a half in college.

p.s. aside from the lack of adjustability, i REALLY like the look of the g5 styled feet mockup there. but with no tilt and swivel, it better have a full 180 degree viewing angle (which i think is even theoretically impossible).
  • Reply 97 of 115
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I wonder if Apple could sell the monitors with removable feet and also sell a beefed up version of the iMac arm with a desk edge mount.

That would be ideal with the exception of Apple not wanting to fix all the monitors that fell off of people's desks due to improperly attaching the arm to either the monitor or the desk.

The best solution would be to design them to be very compatible with a third party arm and Apple wouldn't have to worry about warranty claims foir a bad installation.

Here's an image of an iMac arm on steroids.

Hi rez here.

MSKR
  • Reply 98 of 115

Cool, it's doesn't look "Apple-y"...I GET IT already. I heard you the first 17 times...you don't need to include it in every post from here out. It probably can't get TOO radical, because then it probably won't be a nice, thin (and hopefully ADJUSTABLE) LCD.

I did a LITTLE more than "slapping on aluminum" (tilt, swivel, front ports, different leg, cradle base, "U" goalpost holder, etc. Give me a LITTLE credit, jeez...

In any case, we'll probably know soon enough. I bet new displays will be out by the end of April! I can't wait to see what they came up with. They'll probably look REALLY snazzy sitting next to a G5 or a PowerBook.

But all this talk of a 30" screen...yikes. I just saw the 23" yesterday and it's HUGE. I can't even imagine something larger and still being a) somewhat affordable and b) fitting on the average desk comfortably.
  • Reply 99 of 115
    Quote:

[But all this talk of a 30" screen...yikes. I just saw the 23" yesterday and it's HUGE. I can't even imagine something larger and still being a) somewhat affordable and b) fitting on the average desk comfortably. [/B]

30" display customers have a different definition of affordable and don't have average desks. Such a monitor would sell very well (and very profitably) to high end users.
  • Reply 100 of 115
    bandalaybandalay Posts: 116member
    Quote:

I did a LITTLE more than "slapping on aluminum" (tilt, swivel, front ports, different leg, cradle base, "U" goalpost holder, etc. Give me a LITTLE credit, jeez...

pscate - I for one celebrate your contributions to this discussion. Rumour land has been cold this winter.

Reminds me a bit of this eyegonomic stuff. The rest of their designs are quite interesting - clearly there is lots of room for creativity in this market segment...