Best Non-Apple Mouse and Monitor?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Thanks. I'll probably wait for the Dell LCD to come down in price.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Hmmm... for compatibility it only says PC. I'm not a computer guru, so does this mean its not compatible with mac??????????????????????????????????????????? Or it is, and they didnt list it.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SwitchingSoon

Hmmm... for compatibility it only says PC. I'm not a computer guru, so does this mean its not compatible with mac??????????????????????????????????????????? Or it is, and they didnt list it.

It should work with a Mac, I'm pretty sure the Dell Ultrasharp FP's have a DVI input.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    The cheapest/smallest Logitech Optical Wheels are a good match to the iBook lookswise. They're also very good mice.

I've used the MX700 for more than a year, and it's good for what it is (wireless), but what I'd really want is a MX300. As accurate as my current mouse, but lighter, non-contoured, symmetrical, wired. It is *the* mouse for gaming. MX310 is similar but it has extra buttons, just like the MX500, MX700 and MX900. I don't like the extra buttons, they are not located well enough to actually use, so the old design is equally useful but cleaner.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by SwitchingSoon

I use mine with my G5 daily - I have the DVI plugged into my Mac, and the VGA plugged into a PC... I have an el-cheapo KVM switch to swap the keyboard & mouse between the two ($20) and use the on-monitor controls to switch the monitor from DVI to VGA (Mac to PC). Works great...
  • Reply 26 of 29
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Pie Man

I use mine with my G5 daily - I have the DVI plugged into my Mac, and the VGA plugged into a PC... I have an el-cheapo KVM switch to swap the keyboard & mouse between the two ($20) and use the on-monitor controls to switch the monitor from DVI to VGA (Mac to PC). Works great...

Where do you find switches at those prices? I tried to confirm it by surfing a bit just now, but failed.. everything seems to be in the $100 price class.

Now that I think of it, it would be a good idea if a monitor had a USB switch feature linked to the input, and two USB inputs.. since if you're using two inputs you certainly have two computers, and need to control both. If you don't have two computers, you only have one signal coming in and the screen could detect it - wouldn't really need a manual switch.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Where do you find switches at those prices? I tried to confirm it by surfing a bit just now, but failed.. everything seems to be in the $100 price class.

Now that I think of it, it would be a good idea if a monitor had a USB switch feature linked to the input, and two USB inputs.. since if you're using two inputs you certainly have two computers, and need to control both. If you don't have two computers, you only have one signal coming in and the screen could detect it - wouldn't really need a manual switch.

I imagine most people just use one input on the monitor - it leaves the option of using an older video card w/o DVI... It does have 5 usb ports in it - but the mac started to refuse seeing the keyboard while both machines were on. I didn't try to troubleshoot too much since I had the KVM switch already. (it looks like one USB port is for input, but it is the other style plug which my mac keyboard doesn't have...)

I lied about the $20 switch - it is $25 linky link . I mentioned it in this thread, but no one seemed to notice...
  • Reply 28 of 29
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Traditionally LCDs were notorious for ghosting. These 16ms response time LCDs however are quick enough where ghosting isn't an issue anymore (although a small percentage of people still say they see ghosting on these monitors, I personally think it is a combination of other things - also a DVI connection vs VGA makes a difference). I am far from an expert, but I have heard that the 60Hz on an LCD != 60Hz on a CRT. I tend to get migraine headaches from eyestrain, and anything less than 100Hz on a CRT sets me off - 60Hz on an LCD is fine.

60 Hz is fine on an LCD because it only refreshes when something changes, and then only the pixels that do change. CRTs have a response rate of ~8-12 ms. You can tell the difference when viewed side-by-side. 16 ms is good, no question, but be aware that many of the fast LCD monitors achieve this response time by "cheating" somewhat. They only draw from a pallete of something like 285,000 colors and colors that aren't in the pallete are simulated by showing 2 colors that are similar to trick your eye. I believe there are LCDs that are "true" 16ms response times, but I'm not sure how that's indicated...

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    It's OT, but think twice - and then think a few more times for good measure - before buying a multifunction copier/scanner/printer/peach peeler. I've had to wrestle with a bunch of those things, and not only are they fairly iffy in terms of hardware and output quality, their driver support uniformly blows, and Mac compatibility is a crapshoot. It's absolutely worth it to get a USB hub and dedicated devices. In practice they last longer, work better, and they actually plug and play.