OS X Zippy!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why did completely erasing my HD, and reinstalling everything make my system so much faster? I swear even flash games play faster! Why does it do that, and how can I keep it like this?!

I do seem to acquired more space somehow on my HD that I don't know where it came from. I kept all the important apps, and mp3s which took up the majority of the space. Now I have over 50GB free with almost all the apps installed that I wanted to have! AND my mp3s and crap, it's awesome!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Why did completely erasing my HD, and reinstalling everything make my system so much faster? I swear even flash games play faster! Why does it do that, and how can I keep it like this?!

I do seem to acquired more space somehow on my HD that I don't know where it came from. I kept all the important apps, and mp3s which took up the majority of the space. Now I have over 50GB free with almost all the apps installed that I wanted to have! AND my mp3s and crap, it's awesome!

I dunno, but my big project this weekend is to do the same thing. I've got a partition on my internal hard drive I no longer need, so I'm going to take this occasion to reformat my HD and I'm expecting way more space and performance out it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I dunno, but my big project this weekend is to do the same thing. I've got a partition on my internal hard drive I no longer need, so I'm going to take this occasion to reformat my HD and I'm expecting way more space and performance out it.

It really is amazing, and I didn't loose too much stuff when I did it. I backed up all the important apps, my mp3s, documents and pictures. Then I reinstalled 10.2.7 (came with my PBook) and then upgraded to 10.3. Then upgraded to 10.3.3 and THEN installed all my apps again and bought over my mp3s.

Don't forget to backup everything you need though...specially your mail folder so that you don't lose all your emails. The one thing I forgot to backup is stuff in my webserver folder and so that is lost now \ Guess any images I was hosting before won't work anymore.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Yeah, if you don't want to reformat and reinstall everything, another way to refresh a lot of zippy factor is to repair permission and then do FSCK. It's strange how much this can help overall performance, I don't really understand it much myself ,but it works.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Yeah, if you don't want to reformat and reinstall everything, another way to refresh a lot of zippy factor is to repair permission and then do FSCK. It's strange how much this can help overall performance, I don't really understand it much myself ,but it works.

I've done that, it never seemed to do anything really...but this, I mean wowzers. I forgot how fast my computer really was supposed to be, I wonder why it got like that, I don't want it to go back...ever.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

The one thing I forgot to backup is stuff in my webserver folder and so that is lost now \ Guess any images I was hosting before won't work anymore.

i've learned that lesson the hard way. I've got my backup routine down pat by now. I must have 15 copies of my webserver folder in various places just because that's actually my most important work. The rest of the shit is printed out/done elsewhere. I have no need to have a hard copy of my web pages.... And it's the hardest stuff for me to do... I'm using CCC to make a perfect backup first. Then I'll reformat/reinstall. Gotta love external storage.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    How do you repair permissions and run fsck (man fsck didn't really help) ?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Repair permissions from Disk Utility under first aid.

fsck is run by restarting your computer hand holding Command (apple key), and 'S' at the same time to go into single user mode. It will start up looking all unixy, and you can follow the directions on what to type in. When your done, just type exit.

It's something like 'fsck /sbin/blah blah blah -y'

I always do -f -y because for some reason I needed to do the force thing, but I guess most people don't.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

I always do -f -y because for some reason I needed to do the force thing, but I guess most people don't.

You have journaling enabled. I bet most people using 10.3 DO have to do the fsck -fy thing.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    i don't know but do know that when i put 10.3.3 on my 550Mhz it worked.... and works alot faster now!!!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Restart your computer and hold down apple+s to enter Single User Mode (bunch of white text on a black screen) let it finish loading all the text and than type:

Code:

/sbin/fsck -f

It will run a bunch of stuff, let it finish until it says either:

Code:

The file system was modified

(or something like that), or

Code:

The volume (Whatever your HDD is named) appears to be okay

If it says that your file system was modified, run the fsck again (/sbin/fsck -f) until it tells you that your HDD appears to be okay.