This is why Apple's market share doesn't grow...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Powermac 1.6GHz G5

256MB DDR333 SDRAM

80GB HD

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra

4X SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

$1,799.00

vs.

Dell Dimension 8300

Pentium 4 3GHz

256MB DDR SDRAM

80GB Hard Drive

8x DVD+RW Drive

128MB DDR GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card

$1,019

Powermac Dual 2GHz G5

512MB DDR400 SDRAM

250GB HD

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

$3,424.00

vs.

Dell Dimension 8300

Pentium 4 3.4GHz

512MB DDR SDRAM

250GB Hard Drive

8x DVD+RW Drive

128MB DDR ATI RADEON 9800

$1,609

iMac 1.25GHz PowerPC G4

256MB DDR333

80GB HD

4x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

17-inch flat panel LCD

$1,799.00

vs.

Dell Dimension 4600

Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz

256MB DDR SDRAM

80GB Hard Drive

8x DVD+RW Drive

17 in 1703FP Ultrasharp Digital Flat Panel Display

128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card

$1,218

I love Apple and I will never buy a PC unless I am forced to, but come on! This is getting ridiculous. Not only does Apple not upgrade their computers for 5-7 months, but they expect you to pay full price even when the hardware is far from outdated. We're paying $600, $800, and even $1800 more for the same specs!

Yes, Macs are more stable and higher in quality, but that doesn't equal prices so much higher than the competition. If Apple wants to increase market share, updates have to be more frequent and prices must fall. Who's going to pay almost $2000 more for a top-of-the-line Apple when they can get a top-of-the-line Dell with the same exact specs? Someone with a lot of money, which the majority of the earth's population does not.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    C'mon! There are so many threads posted here that also cover this topic. Do you really think we needed another one?
  • Reply 2 of 53
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
  • Reply 3 of 53
  • Reply 4 of 53
    dferigmudferigmu Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

C'mon! There are so many threads posted here that also cover this topic. Do you really think we needed another one?

I'm sorry, it's just that I'm so frustrated. Every Mac fan should be angry because if you only praise the company you like, it will never improve its products.

I have been saving my money for a long time. I either want to buy a Powermac or iMac. Both are very long in the tooth and are very overpriced. Hopefully, you'll get more bang for your buck with the new upgrades.

Don't get me wrong though, I never want to buy a PC, let alone a p.o.s. Dell. I just want Apple to make better business decisions that will benefit customers and the company.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

I'm sorry, it's just that I'm so frustrated. Every Mac fan should be angry because if you only praise the company you like, it will never improve its products.

I have been saving my money for a long time. I either want to buy a Powermac or iMac. Both are very long in the tooth and are very overpriced. Hopefully, you'll get more bang for your buck with the new upgrades.

Don't get me wrong though, I never want to buy a PC, let alone a p.o.s. Dell. I just want Apple to make better business decisions that will benefit customers and the company.

Cry about it more, and then find a way for Apple to compete on price by convincing 100 million people to buy macs so the economies of scale shift for Apple. You are not making better business decisions than the Apple execs are. Don't think for a second that you know better than they do.

In other words, quit whining. The mac is part tool, part luxury good.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Cry about it more, and then find a way for Apple to compete on price by convincing 100 million people to buy macs so the economies of scale shift for Apple. You are not making better business decisions than the Apple execs are. Don't think for a second that you know better than they do.

In other words, quit whining. The mac is part tool, part luxury good.

Don't give me that luxury good crap. It's like saying you pay more for a Mac like you pay more for a BMW. The difference is, you get a lot better performance out of a BMW vs. a Ford. With Macs, you get a better OS but lower specs compared to PCs.

I see a lot of people walking into the Tysons Apple Store here. I'm sure Apple would sell a lot more computers that are priced at the same level as the competition. They could also run ads where they actually advertise low prices, not just a nice case.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Don't give me that luxury good crap. It's like saying you pay more for a Mac like you pay more for a BMW. The difference is, you get a lot better performance out of a BMW vs. a Ford. With Macs, you get a better OS but lower specs compared to PCs.

I see a lot of people walking into the Tysons Apple Store here. I'm sure Apple would sell a lot more computers that are priced at the same level as the competition. They could also run ads where they actually advertise low prices, not just a nice case.

It's all going to be okay. You're a spec whore or as I like to say CHEAP WHINNY GEEK®. Stop bitching. What about when Mac kicked PC's asses on specs? People still didn't buy them. It's not about mega-hurts or any other spec. It's about the myths that people have about Apple. Once you get out of high school you might see that.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

It's all going to be okay. You're a spec whore or as I like to say CHEAP WHINNY GEEK®. Stop bitching. What about when Mac kicked PC's asses on specs? People still didn't buy them. It's not about mega-hurts or any other spec. It's about the myths that people have about Apple. Once you get out of high school you might see that.

I'm in college and my main problem is what you get for the price. If only more Mac fans thought like me instead of always kissing Apple's ass, things would change.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:

I'm in college and my main problem is what you get for the price. If only more Mac fans thought like me instead of always kissing Apple's ass, things would change.

How would things change?

The only thing that threads like this do is make cheap people fell better about being cheap. It's ok, being cheap is not a bad thing, but don't try and play it off like you care about anything but you wallet.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Powermac 1.6GHz G5

256MB DDR333 SDRAM

80GB HD

$1,799.00

vs.

Dell Dimension 8300

Pentium 4 3GHz

256MB DDR SDRAM

80GB Hard Drive

8x DVD+RW Drive

128MB DDR GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card

$1,019

Powermac Dual 2GHz G5

512MB DDR400 SDRAM

250GB HD

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

$3,424.00

vs.

Dell Dimension 8300

Pentium 4 3.4GHz

512MB DDR SDRAM

250GB Hard Drive

8x DVD+RW Drive

128MB DDR ATI RADEON 9800

$1,609

iMac 1.25GHz PowerPC G4

256MB DDR333

80GB HD

4x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

17-inch flat panel LCD

$1,799.00

vs.

Dell Dimension 4600

Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz

256MB DDR SDRAM

80GB Hard Drive

8x DVD+RW Drive

17 in 1703FP Ultrasharp Digital Flat Panel Display

128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card

$1,218

I love Apple and I will never buy a PC unless I am forced to, but come on! This is getting ridiculous. Not only does Apple not upgrade their computers for 5-7 months, but they expect you to pay full price even when the hardware is far from outdated. We're paying $600, $800, and even $1800 more for the same specs!

Yes, Macs are more stable and higher in quality, but that doesn't equal prices so much higher than the competition. If Apple wants to increase market share, updates have to be more frequent and prices must fall. Who's going to pay almost $2000 more for a top-of-the-line Apple when they can get a top-of-the-line Dell with the same exact specs? Someone with a lot of money, which the majority of the earth's population does not.

I wish I had proof. But do you know that 400 mhz on a mac proceeser= about 1 ghz on a intel. The critics are blind to the fact that the processers are different and they are really neck to neck.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

So you get more performance from a BMW 325 than from a, say, Pontiac GTO?

Methinks not. The GTO will shit on the 325. Any analogy from any diversified market will work.

Quote:

No, things -won't- change from a price perspective unless Apple finds a magic way to get parts for cheaper. The only way to do that is to go with X86 hardware, which I think most of us agree is not a great idea. In Econ 101 they'll teach you that things get cheaper as more are produced. It's a concept called economies of scale, and it's the only thing Dell has going for it right now. So if you care so much about price, then you buy a Dell. People who want good PC notebooks don't buy Dells. Of course, PC desktops are all the same now so there's a big "whatever" on that front.

If you want to get the cost of Apples down, the only way to do that is to get more people to buy macs. So you have to do a little bit of legwork and less whining.

I have about 8 months of business experience, and you can't imagine how ludricrous your argument sounds to me. Just imagine how dumb you sound to people who have been doing it for 20 years.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

i wish I had proof. But do you know that 400 mhz on a mac proceeser= about 1 ghz on a intel. The critics are blind to the fact that the processers are diffrnt and are really neck to neck.

Ummm.... I am sorry but while I do not think Mhz means performence... I do know that example you gave is saddly not true. 400Mhz Moto/IBM == ~1000Mhz Intel is just too off. I wish it was right.

Anyway...
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

How would things change?

The only thing that threads like this do is make cheap people fell better about being cheap. It's ok, being cheap is not a bad thing, but don't try and play it off like you care about anything but you wallet.

How is wanting to pay $2000 instead of $4000 for the same specs being cheap? I think it's actually smart.

Money doesn't come easily for everyone you know. I had to work really hard to save enough money for a new Mac.

BTW, Apple is just a company, not your best friend, in case you forgot.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:

How is wanting to pay $2000 instead of $4000 for the same specs being cheap? I think it's actually smart.

Money doesn't come easily for everyone you know. I had to work really hard to save enough money for a new Mac.

BTW, Apple is just a company, not your best friend, in case you forgot.

Yup, Apple is just a company. One that happens to make products that I need to make money. I would rather you have to save a bit more than me not being able to buy the tools I want. When Cheap Whinny Geeks® win, we all lose.

Oh, you forgot to talk about how all of use bitching would do anything but waste bandwidth.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    hmm heres my comparison:

piece of shit that LOOKS fast on paper but doesnt get the job done in the real world (PC), vs. elegant, fast, stable, powerful system (apple).
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

hmm heres my comparison:

piece of shit that LOOKS fast on paper but doesnt get the job done in the real world (PC), vs. elegant, fast, stable, powerful system (apple).

PCs do get the job done. They may not look good while doing it... or smell good for that matter... hehe... but they can get the job done, in the real world.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Ummm.... I am sorry but while I do not think Mhz means performence... I do know that example you gave is saddly not true. 400Mhz Moto/IBM == ~1000Mhz Intel is just too off. I wish it was right.

Anyway...

My 400 Mhz iMac DV can kill my 1.6Ghz Pentium 4 in just about anything...

It's hard to believe but it's true.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Yup, Apple is just a company. One that happens to make products that I need to make money. I would rather you have to save a bit more than me not being able to buy the tools I want. When Cheap Whinny Geeks® win, we all lose.

Oh, you forgot to talk about how all of use bitching would do anything but waste bandwidth.

You know, not everybody is a wealthy snot who can get a mac in an instant like you. A lot of us(yes and me) can take months to save money for these things. Look at me, I've been saving up since oct, 2003 and im barely able to get a refurb G4(dual 867 MDD).
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

My 400 Mhz iMac DV can kill my 1.6Ghz Pentium 4 in just about anything...

It's hard to believe but it's true.

Prove it!

I wanna see FPS tests (quake 3)

MP3 ripping times...

Photoshop filter times...

Much more if possible...

Don't get me wrong... I love macs... I'm just realistic.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Prove it!

I wanna see FPS tests (quake 3)

MP3 ripping times...

Photoshop filter times...

Much more if possible...

Oh oh oh... Photoshop filters... i'm on it...

edit: let me just boot it up here... (waits 2 minutes for PC to boot... oh lok the iMac already finished a minute ago... bwa hahaha