Using a new ipod with os 9.2.2

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I got a new 20g ipod for christmas and haven't been able to use it with my trusty old B&W G3. I will be getting a new mac and osx (finally) this summer, but i would love to get my songs from itunes 2.0.4 on the pod now. I heard that the ipod can be re-formatted backwards to an earlier software revision, but i cant find a link to the file or further proof that it can actually work. Any help would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    You may be able to find older iPod software here, on Apple's iPod support page. Right on the main page there is links to older (OS 9) software for iPods. However, it only has the OS 9 software for the older iPods (without dock), but if you do a little digging I'm sure you can find something.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You would need to reformat the and install OS9 drivers. This can easily be done in OS 9. However I recommend using the latest iPod software (you will need OSX to install it I think). Your iPod will still work in OS 9 and iTunes and you get more options/bug fixes.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Thanks for the help, but it's a no go. the iPod 1.3 updater for os9 wont recognise the new ipod. Oh well, this is the first time i have really been pissed at apple, so i guess im lucky. It says right on the ipod box that osx is required. I would have tried to get a second gen 20 or 30g had i known and it wasn't a Christmas gift.

thanks again-

Jason
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Perhaps you could visit an Apple store and someone there would be kind enough to lend you use of a mac running OS X to update your iPod. Sounds like you already formatted it for OS 9 (it works as a firewire disk, right?) all you need is OS X to run the software installer.

OS 9 compatibility is one of my gripes too. There is on reason they couldn't release an installer for OS 9.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    any dock-connector iPods WILL NOT work with OS 9

why don't you install panther in the interim until you get a new computer this summer?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Buying Panther would be a waste of 100 bucks. It would run so slow on my 300 Blue & White, and it would be only to get tunes onto my pod.

I agree, there is no reason why itunes 2.0.4 shouldn't work with the new ipods.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    OK, sorry to bump an getting-old thread, but exactly when did dock-connecting iPods stop working with OS 9? You can't say it was never supported. (see next paragraph)

It has to be after one of the firmware updates because I bought my iPod 6 months before my first computer that had OSX. I checked and I still have my old iTunes playlists (OS 9) for the dock iPod that I used. I know it used to work.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I'm not sure, but you must have a 2gen ipod. It says in the requirements on the box os 10.1.3 or higher. I tried to install an earlier version of the ipod updater software and it wouldn't recognize it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    OK perhaps I missed a generation. I bought mine (30GB) new in June 2003. I thought it was the 3gen. Can anyone identify the differences between the 3?

First has a scroll wheel. I know that.