Personal Financial Software recommendations?

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, i've had enough of my landlord cashing checks back-to-back or weeks late, riding alongside multiple bank machine withdrawals that, combined, came a hair's breadth from making us flat-broke this month.

now that we'll be a two-income household again, i want to look into some personal finance software to help manage all these numbers. of course quicken comes to mind, but it's been a LONG time since i have heard anyone say anything good about it. any other suggestions?

edit: by the way, i should probably state my needs. i would like to not only be able to download my quicken compatible files to it from my bank, but also manage multiple accounts, which we'll be using for the immediate future for savings and such.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    My wife and I have been using Quicken on the Mac since before 1998. It has always done the job for us with regard to basic checking like you are mentioning. (basically it sounds like you balance your checking by what is remaining on the bottom of the ATM sheet after withdrawals)

Quicken gets a lot of complaints for a couple of reasons and almost all of them have to do with the downloads or features the PC version has that the Mac version does not.

The only people that are going to notice this are the true finance software guru's who want one app for everything. You might become one after a while, but certainly won't bump into for a while. (I haven't in 6 years)

The largest number of complaints I have heard about with Quicken has always been with tracking stocks and being able to download information about your trades. I prefer to keep my financial information in Quicken, but I do not use it to manage stocks, nor do I bank electronically with it. I use Wells Fargo and bank via the web. I then just enter that information into Quicken.

Some people complain that this takes more time, but Quicken has the same type of type ahead features that web browsers and so many other application feature now. You type one or two letters, and it remembers who you paid, how much, etc and enters all that information for you. You can adjust and make any changes you need to. I also prefer banking via the web because I don't keep Quicken with me everywhere, and also I prefer to have my banking institution directly responsible for the money they are sending out. Lastly banking via the web can often be free whereas Quicken charges for doing it through their software. Bank of America for example offers free checking with free web bill pay.

Nick
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

My wife and I have been using Quicken on the Mac since before 1998. It has always done the job for us with regard to basic checking like you are mentioning. (basically it sounds like you balance your checking by what is remaining on the bottom of the ATM sheet after withdrawals)

yes, unfortunately, which has worked before, but now with several bills of rather large amounts, some of which handled by a non-reliable person, it's not feasible anymore.

my wife reminded me that we did get the last version of quicken with her imac at school, so we could probably upgrade that fairly cheap. i have also looked at iBank, from the makers of the software i was using for freelance work called iWork. so far works pretty well, too. wish quicken 2004 had a demo to try out first, though.

thanks again for your feedback. anyone else?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

www.liquidledger.com

some details please!

I don't want to go through the whole homepage of liquidledger. Why do you like this software, why is it better than...?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    MacWorld of April 2004 has a rundown of personal finance apps. You might find it useful. If you can't find it online, I'll post a summary later on.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

some details please!

I don't want to go through the whole homepage of liquidledger. Why do you like this software, why is it better than...?

You know honestly I haven't used it but it looks promising and with a 2.0 version coming it may be what Mac users are looking for.