PowerMac not on Apple's site

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am a soon to be convert to Apple. I am interested in the single processor 1.6 PowerMac. But I see a number of sites with a 1.8 PowerMac for a couple dollars more than their 1.6 machines. The Apple part number is M9031LLA.

The main Apple site does not show this product, is this normal for Apple to have products like this.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Where did you see this? The 1.8 Ghz could be a refurb. If it is a refurb I would go for the 1.6 Ghz. You don't really need the faster speed if you going to use just for email,aim or yahoo, game, and internet. But if your going to use it for graphic designing or stuff that requires a fast computer to be able to perform correctly then get the 1.8 Ghz. Im persuming its a G5 since G4 don't go that high.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    It may be new. There was a single 1.8 before a dual 1.8. It won't be listed at Apple.com anymore but some resellers may not have sold them yet.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

It may be new. There was a single 1.8 before a dual 1.8. It won't be listed at Apple.com anymore but some resellers may not have sold them yet.

thanks I see it on a couple sites and this is one

http://www.onlinemicro.com/index.jsp...01&cd=ds2lvkw7

Probably an unsold one like you said.

Also not only do you get a little faster machine, but the 1.8 comes with 512Meg memory.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    ya, it's not just the 200 MHz either. The single 1.8 has the same specs as the Dual now (more RAM slots, PCI X, etc.) except it's a single. If it's only a little more expensive, it's definitely worth it
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Here is a site that has a 1.8 Ghz G5

http://shop.bizrate.com/marketplace/...--7823979.html
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Never mind don't get the one from the site that I gave. I tought the one I gave you had more ram. But the other site has the better ram get that one. CHEAP. Plus you need a moniter. Can ya spare 635 bucks at that same sight you can get an apple 17 inch lcd screen. BUY IT.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Where did you see this? The 1.8 Ghz could be a refurb. If it is a refurb I would go for the 1.6 Ghz. You don't really need the faster speed if you going to use just for email,aim or yahoo, game, and internet. But if your going to use it for graphic designing or stuff that requires a fast computer to be able to perform correctly then get the 1.8 Ghz. Im persuming its a G5 since G4 don't go that high.

what

Quote:

Never mind don't get the one from the site that I gave. I tought the one I gave you had more ram. But the other site has the better ram get that one. CHEAP. Plus you need a moniter. Can ya spare 635 bucks at that same sight you can get an apple 17 inch lcd screen. BUY IT.

worst advice ever

do NOT buy a Power Mac right now. Walk up a little and peek around the corner. See that thing down there? It's an update.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

worst advice ever

do NOT buy a Power Mac right now. Walk up a little and peek around the corner. See that thing down there? It's an update.

Here is my problem. I will be buying in mid May. I started out very happy to buy the 17" iMac. Then I saw the 20" iMac But the 20" has one problem, you are paying a lot of money for that screen but it is part of the all-in-one iMac. So I started looking at a PowerMac with a separate 20" display.

While yes I know there is an update with the new PowerPC chips coming out, all the rumors are they all will be dual processor units which adds a lot of cost to that unit. I do not need dual processors for what I do. But I do not want to spend $1000+ for a 20" screen attached to a iMac. And yes I know there are new G5 iMacs coming, but when and still it will be an all-in-one.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird71

While yes I know there is an update with the new PowerPC chips coming out, all the rumors are they all will be dual processor units which adds a lot of cost to that unit.

Well even if overnight Apple starts selling only DP machines, there will still be new single processor machines available elsewhere, just like that extinct 1.8 machine.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    That and the machines you are looking at will fall further in price and some better ones may come into your price range. If you are looking at mid-may wait until mid-may!