Will OSX ever be as fast as 9.x?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just wondering if all the tweaks going into each incarnation of OSX will ever get to the point where it'll be just as fast as 9.x.

Of course I realize the obvious graphic overhead and additional features that Jag/Panther carry. But it would be great if over the next few updates, it could be as snappy? as 9.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    It already is.

It's faster in many regards for me.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Yes and no.

OS X does way more than OS 9 ever did...the list of things OS X does that OS 9 doesn't is so long, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Quartz is already many times more complex than QuickDraw ever was.

While OS X's GUI seemed extremely slow in the 10.0 and 10.1 days, people never really saw the other side of the coin: you could run many programs pretty much simultaneously. OS X's multitasking is infinitely superior to OS 9's multitasking. So while you could do one thing really fast in OS 9, you couldn't do more than that. In OS X you can do many things but not as fast as if you were doing only one thing.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    9 doesn't run on a G5.

I think that make X faster right there!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Just wondering if all the tweaks going into each incarnation of OSX will ever get to the point where it'll be just as fast as 9.x.

On 9x generation hardware, no I don't think so. But if your able to upgrade they are similar in speed.

I have no problems with the speed of OS X compared with OS 9 on my upgraded Power Mac: 1.33 GHz (from 533x2). I've added RAM and a Radeon 9800 but my stock Radeon 32MB was Quartz Extreme ready to begin with. Seems the lack of on-die cache caused OS X to bog down more then anything else.

The speed has steadily increased though. My stock 450 Cube has become more usable with each incarnation but it still can't compare with a newer G4 chip. Nor will it ever.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    You got rid of the duals for a single? I have that same machine and slapped in a 1.25GHz upgrade and the machine seemed far slower than it is now.

I think OS X already walks right past OS 9, I multitask quite a bit and OS X even allowing me to do that makes it faster than OS 9. The fact that its really good at multitasking makes it even faster.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I'm fairly far from any upgrades in the foreseeable future, so whenever I put down my 600mhz Panther-enabled iBook and sit down at my 400mhz B&W Rev.A G3 running OS 9.2.x, I'm still thrilled with the feeling of "power" due to the fatter pipes of the desktop.

If I had Panther on a G4 or G5 I'm sure that I'd be giggling loudly. M'tasking vs. M'threading aside, OS 9 still feels "faster" for me because of my current hardware setup.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    every time i accidentally realize that i haven't shut off a program all day long, and my mac is still running without crashing (and running WELL... thanks, ram), i think that speed is secondary in my book.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    X tears up 9 in pretty much everything I do. That said, I know a lot more about computers now than I did when I used OS 9. I run X on a G4 Cube @ 450mhz as well as a Sawtooth @ 400mhz and clamshell iBook @ 300mhz (G3). I wouldn't go back to 9 if you paid me to. It's gotten a lot faster since Jaguar and Panther came out, and I love every minute of it. Long live snappiness?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Panther promised to make Dock menus instant. They aren't by a longshot. That's my pet peeve. My Utilities folder or a few other big ones take 6 or 7 seconds to open on a PBG4 12". That's probably half the time it took in Jag but still...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Panther promised to make Dock menus instant. They aren't by a longshot. That's my pet peeve. My Utilities folder or a few other big ones take 6 or 7 seconds to open on a PBG4 12". That's probably half the time it took in Jag but still...

The first time you click it it will take a few to build.

But all subsequent clicks will not have that delay.

To make it truly come up instantly, hold the control key while click-holding.

The Dock has a built-in delay, a second I think. This prevents the menu from immediately showing, since you might only have wanted to move the icon. Control overrides the delay.

Still if you have a shitload of items it'll have a delay.

But if it's truly important you should design a trim set of aliases and subfolders to cut down on the crap being listed; at least for Applications and Utilities folders.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I'm pretty much a new OS X user, having finally made the switch from OS 9 last November just after Panther came out. On my G4 dual 450 with 1.25 GB memory and a Radeon Pro 9000 video card in a dual monitor setup, I feel that OS 9 was slightly faster, especially in Office 98 compared to Office X. PS 6.01, which was also dual processor enabled, also felt faster than PS CS. And window scrolling seemed definitely faster in OS 9.

Having said all that any slight speed disadvantage in Panther is more than offset by Pather's multi tasking. When working in another program in OS 9 with iTune playing, the visualizer when on fullscreen would be so slow as to be unwatchable. And I love the force quit feature, it actually closes an application without crashing the system.

In fact, Panther makes my computer almost feel new; I was originally planning on moving up to a G5 when Gen 2 came out this spring or early summer. Now I'll wait to Gen 3 at year's end.

My 2-cents.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

My Utilities folder or a few other big ones take 6 or 7 seconds to open on a PBG4 12". That's probably half the time it took in Jag but still...

Now wait a minute. Are you implying that under Jaguar, your Utilities folder opened from the Dock in 12-14 sec.? Since in my case ( 12", 10.2.8 ) it takes never more than 5 seconds. If it is already cached, it opens in 1 second at most.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yup. After the first time it's quicker of course but I put more stuff in to Utils and it certainly did take that much time in Jag.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Of course I realize the obvious graphic overhead and additional features that Jag/Panther carry. But it would be great if over the next few updates, it could be as snappy? as 9.

Are you asking with the condition that 1 app is running or more than 1 app is running?