I am getting a Beetle!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    As far as some of the dire warnings above...

VW is aware they had some quality control problems for a few years. There have also been wide spread complaints that VW of America's dealer network left something to be desired when it came to service.

Because they are interested in selling a more expensive car (read Phaeton and Toureg) they have embarked on an agressive dealer/quality program. After all, people spending north of $50K for a car aren't going to be very patient with any nonsense.

What that means for you is that if you have any problems you can get them fixed under warrenty pretty easily (this is actually a change from recent history when people got stonewalled for obvious design and construction defects).

Moreover, since your Beetle is a mature model, those problems that did crop up in the early going have been dealt with through interim updates.

See? They are the Apple of the automotive world!
  • Reply 22 of 34
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    oh give me a break fellows. you are way to sensitive. i have almost been killed by many of these truck-driving psychos here. you know why?? not because they are texans. it's because they are f**king college students who dont know what the hell they are doing. i have also almost been killed by many SUVs and van-driving middle age women. so it's not limited to trucks. i'm really getting sick and tired of your sensitivity on the subject. trucks can be dangerous vehicles. deal with it. just because you dont like that someone disagrees with you doesnt mean you should go have a power trip and throw around threats.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Ditto to what alliance said.

Furthermore, billybobsky may well have been refering to the heat in Texas. It's really unclear.

Lastly, leave the gestapo at home. "Moderating" isn't about suspending people for bad mouthing your state. It's about making pictures fit & stuff. If you can't deal with a little prodding, you're in no position to post on AO.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

Let it be known that in future if condescending and derogatory generalizations are made about Texas, Truck driving Texans, French, or any nationality or state you WILL be banned for at least a week.

Fellowship

Fellows,

Sorry, I wasn't insulting texas... I was more refering to the fact that the temperature probably isn't conducive to vinyl/vinyl glues. I know from experience in SC that this is the case with almost all european cars that aren't kept in garages etc... Sorry again. I really wasn't insulting you or any texan...

billybobsky
  • Reply 25 of 34
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

Fellows,

Sorry, I wasn't insulting texas... I was more refering to the fact that the temperature probably isn't conducive to vinyl/vinyl glues. I know from experience in SC that this is the case with almost all european cars that aren't kept in garages etc... Sorry again. I really wasn't insulting you or any texan...

billybobsky

ignore fellows. he seems to have a grudge against anyone who mentions texas in anything but an obviously positive manner.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

Fellows,

billybobsky

No sweat man

Fellows
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

ignore fellows. he seems to have a grudge against anyone who mentions texas in anything but an obviously positive manner.

Read the sticky.

Read the Posting Guidelines.

You and everyone else.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Ditto to what alliance said.

Furthermore, billybobsky may well have been refering to the heat in Texas. It's really unclear.

Lastly, leave the gestapo at home. "Moderating" isn't about suspending people for bad mouthing your state. It's about making pictures fit & stuff. If you can't deal with a little prodding, you're in no position to post on AO.

If you have something to say about the Moderating here PM myself, another moderator or Brad.

Public defiance of the rules is not something I would suggest you do.

With all due respect,

Fellows
  • Reply 29 of 34
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Dude, there's a Mini Cooper out on some lot crying right now. How could you??

Amen. My cuz got the Mini Cooper S and let me drive it. Oooooo. I still think the 50s ones are cuuuuuute. We wants one, precious. With the stripe on it like Italian Job too. Once I get that, a Humvee with a hybrid engine, and a '57 Corvette I am ALL set. Wait maybe an Audi TT too. Oh and DeLorian. A flying one.

Don't they still make the old school Beetle in Mexico or somewhere?
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Dude, there's a Mini Cooper out on some lot crying right now. How could you??

Eugene,

Don't worry, it's not crying - I bought it . Should take delivery in late April / early May. 8)

Dave.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

[snip]

Don't they still make the old school Beetle in Mexico or somewhere?

Nope, VW discontinued production of the old Beetle late last year sometime...but I'm having trouble finding the article right now. If you want to see a lifetime supply, head down to Mexico City, 3/4ths of the cars are old Beetles.

I think we should have a moment of silence for a great American icon that has finally breathed its last.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Nope, VW discontinued production of the old Beetle late last year sometime...but I'm having trouble finding the article right now. If you want to see a lifetime supply, head down to Mexico City, 3/4ths of the cars are old Beetles.

I think we should have a moment of silence for a great American icon that has finally breathed its last.

Yep. The old Beetle is no more.

I remember there was an ad that had all the front ends of the different beetles over the years, from the 1950s all the way up to 2002, then right over the 2003 date it was blank.

I nearly cried (as an owner of a 1974 Beetle and a 1976 Super Beetle cabrio.)
  • Reply 33 of 34
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Dome shape...worst design ever!

Ok not really, but just like a little sportier car, the ceiling for any passenger in the back is too low and you have to put your head on an angle!

Just a little hatred for one time I had to sit in the back of one
  • Reply 34 of 34
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Dome shape...worst design ever!

Ok not really, but just like a little sportier car, the ceiling for any passenger in the back is too low and you have to put your head on an angle!

Just a little hatred for one time I had to sit in the back of one

eh. i plan to either a.) have only short people in the back seat b.) have only children in the back seat or c.) have no one in the back seat.

the parallels to the mac are metaphorically extraordinary. like, "don't get a mac if you want to play a lot of games." and then i say "well, i don't play a lot of games, and if i do, that's what my ps2 is for." conversely, "don't buy a beetle if you want usable back seats." well, for all i care, this sucker is a nice two-seater with the back seat folded down for trunk area permanently, and our matrix can hold four comfortably. problem solved.

i didn't say the car was necessarily perfect, just that it made me happy and that i could live with its limitations.