Sony Snaps up the MacDonalds Music Deal

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Quote:

Sony has landed a $30 million marketing deal with McDonald's to promote its forthcoming download service, after Sony's last-minute pitch cut Apple out of the picture: "One person familiar with the McDonald's deal said the fast-food company would probably give away more than 100 million Sony Connect songs in the U.S. McDonald's had been in talks to launch a similar marketing effort with Apple, but switched plans after a last-minute pitch from Sony, sources said." Also, Sony "has already announced a deal with United Airlines in which travelers, once the Connect service starts, will be able to trade in frequent flier miles for free songs," according to The Chicago Tribune

Honestly I'm not too worried about this. Drinking too much soda is one thing but eating too much Mickey D's is another. Besides for deals like this to work you have to have a cheap entry price. The Pepsi promo was perfect. Buy a soda and have the potential to get a song valued at the prices of that soda.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Great, people can now blame McDonald's AND Sony (or Apple or Chevrolet or whoever) for being 200 pounds overweight.

Don't think someone won't try it either. It is 2004, after all.

In any case, seems that whole Pepsi/iTunes thing was an overhyped bit of a bust, so who cares. I'm sure Apple and Pepsi (as well as many of us) believe this whole thing didn't quite go over as planned.

Is anything truly different than it was the day before the Super Bowl? No, not really.

I got a free song, but the earth hardly moved.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I've cashed in 30 songs so far. Probably get another 15-20 before it's over.

I am loath thought to eat McDonalds just for a song. At least Sierra Myst has some redeeming value at .99.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    McDonald's core demographics are kids. It's gonna give Sony a lot of free advertising for their service but in the end, so what. I never thought it would happen cause Big Mac sells Coca Cola.

You can't win them all.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    i don't think this would have been a very good fit for apple from a demographic stand point. I think they would be better off partnering with places like starbucks. business people with disposable income.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    The big deal here, is that it's REALLY easy to walk into a convenience store and grab a soda, to casual drinkers like myself, I now opt to take a pepsi over a coke because of the free song thing. Normally I don't really care, but with this added incentive, I go for the pepsi.

I see the pepsi/apple deal as benefiting pepsi more than apple, for the reason mentioned above, I'll bet most mac-users, unless they vehemently hate pepsi for whatever pointless reason, are in the same situation as me.

But with getting an actual meal, even the drive-through is less convenient, additionally, you are paying more for less, and it's less beneficial for McDonald's

Even if Apple had landed the deal, I doubt it would have helped them much, just given them a little more exposure, but I dunno, doesn't seem like that big of a deal. But then again, that extra exposure with pepsi AND McDonald's would have lead apple(or iTunes rather) further down the road to becoming synonymous with legal downloading, becoming the household brand name is the best apple can hope for.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I see the pepsi/apple deal as benefiting pepsi more than apple, for the reason mentioned above, I'll bet most mac-users, unless they vehemently hate pepsi for whatever pointless reason, are in the same situation as me.

But with getting an actual meal, even the drive-through is less convenient, additionally, you are paying more for less, and it's less beneficial for McDonald's

Even if Apple had landed the deal, I doubt it would have helped them much, just given them a little more exposure, but I dunno, doesn't seem like that big of a deal. But then again, that extra exposure with pepsi AND McDonald's would have lead apple(or iTunes rather) further down the road to becoming synonymous with legal downloading, becoming the household brand name is the best apple can hope for.

I don't think you can equate it quite the way you do in those first 2 paras. I mean if a person's hungry, I don't think they go "Oh no I'll just buy a Pepsi instead because going to Macca's is too much hassle". Doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I think you're all being a bit disingenuous here. I don't recall too many people putting shit on this deal before now (ie. before Apple got cut out of the picture). Indeed, I hate McDonald's as much as I hate MS, but wasn't game to say how disappointing it was to have Apple jump into bed with them because I figured some jerk who takes it all too seriously would give me grief. And frankly, it's not worth that.

But I do agree that I don't think the Pepsi deal or the Macca's one had it come to pass, is going to help them much. The whole plan is starting to look a bit Swiss cheesey.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Your all crazy, I had a Super Size fries and 7 double cheeseburgers saturday (lunch, dinnner, after dinner snack) and loved every bite. It sucks the deal didn't go through, but hopefully it won't matter much.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    when I was young, me and two friends went to the mall and ordered ~30 Cheeseburgers(it was half price cheeseburger day)

that was something...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

when I was young, me and two friends went to the mall and ordered ~30 Cheeseburgers(it was half price cheeseburger day)

that was something...

That sounds reall good, but a cheeseburger has nothing on a MD double cheeseburger. For some reasons they are the most delicious thing EVER! It blows away anything else you can get for $.99! Junior Bacon Cheeseburger...nah, DOUBLECHEESEBURGER!

Oh yeah, to stay on topic...Go Apple go.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

that was something...

"Luxury, back in my day...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    The faital error in the pepsi deal was sierra mist (sprite is way better, but only good when you are sick and have a soure throught), and the lack of Mountain Dew
  • Reply 12 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Soda is not healthy by any stretch, it has a huge part of Obese America right along with fries and burgers.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Soda is not healthy by any stretch, it has a huge part of Obese America right along with fries and burgers.

yeah, but french fries and burgers taste good. dr pepper taste good.

your right though. i had to go cold turkey on sodas because i can't just drink one. at work i was downing anywhere from 3-6+ a day. if you want to lose some quick weight, that's the way to do it. it's bitch for the first two weeks or so, but man you'll feel so much better after get over the headaches and bad attitude.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I disagree, getting rid of all fast food, and keeping soda would (of course just my opinion) show a drastically bigger difference then if you got rid of soda and kept fast food.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    How does the Sony thing actually work? Is it that you download a song in Sony's ATRAC or similar format? I guess that would only play on Sony's pc software and on Sony's MD player? Any ability to burn to a standard audio CD? Seems like you really have to jump through hoops to use this.

1. Get a windows pc.

2. Download some Sony software.

3. Download the music. (assuming Sony has music you like)

4. Optionally buy a Sony player and download the music to the player.

Can you have a track on the pc and the player at the same time?