Final Cut import question re: 24p video

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My friend and I just shot a film in 24p DV, and will be importing it to my Mac later this week. However, we won't have the 24p DV camera for that long, and will only have access to a non-24p camera.

Will it bork the footage or the tapes at all if we were to try to import the 24p video with just a regular DV camera?

Thanks!

Kirk

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Will it bork the footage or the tapes at all if we were to try to import the 24p video with just a regular DV camera?

It shouldn't. Just set the field dominance on your sequence settings to none to get it back to progressive when you're editing.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    I'm sorry, this will be the first time I've ever used Final Cut Pro. What does that mean?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

I'm sorry, this will be the first time I've ever used Final Cut Pro. What does that mean?

Well, if it's you're first time then I recommend reading the manual since there'll be a lot of things other than this that you'll need to familiarize yourself with.

Under the Final Cut Pro menu, you'll find Audio/Video Settings...

This is where you'll find your capture and sequence settings, and the dominance setting I mentioned. Setting it to none is how Final Cut interprets the video as progressive. Odd and Even refer to interlaced field dominance or in other words which field should be show first for a given frame. If a interlaced video looks gittery it usually means that the dominance is wrong which can then be fixed with this setting.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Okay. So I just import normally, even though I'm importing from a non-24P camera, and then after importing go and change this setting?

So running it through a non-24p camera won't damage the video tapes? Or garble the import?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Okay. So I just import normally, even though I'm importing from a non-24P camera, and then after importing go and change this setting?

So running it through a non-24p camera won't damage the video tapes? Or garble the import?

Could depend on the camera. You'll just have to test your config. If the 24P camera is storing the footage as normal ntsc 29.97 (with 3:2 pulldown to convert 24fps to 29.97) then you should be fine. Otherwise I'm not sure.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Heh, I barely followed a lot of that. Now I'm terrified to even try to import the footage.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Okay, my friend Wade, who owns the camera, says that it stores the footage in a normal format, so I should be able to import without worry. Whew!

Then I'll go to where you said and tell FCP that the footage is progressive.... Thanks!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Okay, another question. The boom operator and camera guys were using a shotgun mic, but only turned on Input 2 for Channel 2 (the right hand channel), so Channel 1 was still drawing from the built-in mic, which is, of course, totally unbalanced. Is there any way to take the audio in channel 2 and copy it over the audio in channel 1? We'd lose any stereoscopic effect, but at least all the sound wouldn't be coming out of the right hand speaker only...

Or is there a way to kill the left channel altogether, and make the right channel a mono channel that will come out of both sides of the speakers?

You all have been a huge help so far. I really appreciate it!

Kirk
  • Reply 9 of 10
    You can do either of your options after import by unlinking the audio tracks and working with the separately or you can just import the one good track when you're capturing.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Great! I'll check the manuals.

Thanks so much Endymion! "Endymion at AppleInsider" is definitely going on the "Special Thanks" list for the credits. :-)

Kirk