It could drive you to tears

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The G4Cube PC

Nooooooo!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

I brought this G4 Cube housing during a local Mac user group expo for about USD 60. Sure enough, the hard drive, the G4 chip and the logic board have been removed. Just left a barebone housing.

I will shead no tears for this... it was a empty case, modded into a Linux server. It's not like he gutted a working box. Even better, he is using non-MS software... which is good because I would not want to see Windows inside that case.

Interesting read... they point out that Jonathan Ive is a reader of MiniITX.com.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    At least its not running windows...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Seems like an useless exercise since the power source has to be stashed somewhere near the cube. I think it would be easier to hide the whole computer

Anyway, good choice in OS and good choice in keyboard..
  • Reply 4 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    And note that the monitor has an old-school rainbow Apple sticker on the base. Those are 8)
  • Reply 5 of 13
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I was really worried about that for a second than I read two things...

1. It's running Linux, not MS windows

2. The G4, Logic Board, and Hard Drive had been removed before he bought it.

It's still not quite as cool as my Cube, but it's better than that other dude that gutted a G5 to put an AMD chip in it. Ouch.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I was really worried about that for a second than I read two things...

1. It's running Linux, not MS windows

2. The G4, Logic Board, and Hard Drive had been removed before he bought it.

It's still not quite as cool as my Cube, but it's better than that other dude that gutted a G5 to put an AMD chip in it. Ouch.

Which actually turned out to be a hoax

Don't feel bad, I bought it too.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    well....it beats os 8.2.....almost
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Lets not get out of hand here...

While Red Hat is not my distro of choice (not by far!) I would still use it over OS 8.1. Now OS 8.6 is another story... well for a home desktop atleast, Red Hat still wins for me when it comes to a home server OS. I would rather work with Red Hat then any "Clasic" OS.

Anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well no. At least it wasn't as bad as the G5 -> PC hoax. That did drive me to tears. I would love the guts of a G4 Cube, sans case sitting on my desk. That would kick @$$.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

At least its not running windows...

ditto. phew!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The ITX board is pretty weak. It is small, but it is also very weak. A G4 450 is probably significantly faster than a 1GHZ ITZ chip. (called the "C3" I believe) Too bad the cube didn't come with the internals.

We actually have an ITX board lying around at the office. I've been to that site a few times. In the end, a PC104 board is better for most things.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

--snip--

We actually have an ITX board lying around at the office. I've been to that site a few times. In the end, a PC104 board is better for most things.

True... however the Mini-ITX boards from Via are not targeted for the same market as embeded PCs.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I think the cube is probably one of the most excellent designs ever. I don't really care if it runs OS X or not though. If I could get one cheap enough I would jump at the chance.

I still haven't seen many people post pics of a Mac in a Beige PC housing tho.

Dobby.