Using my G5 as an alarm clock?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'd love to wake up to some of my iTunes music (the Halo soundtrack). How do I go about this?

Of note: I sleep my Mac at night. How would I make it wake itself up? Could it adjust the volume to a selected level?

I'd like to find an app or integrated way to do this, but writing an Applescript isn't out of the question.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...=15&button.y=4

Too easy.

Alarm Clock Pro 6.3.9 - Let your computer wake you.

iRooster 1.1.1 - Alarm clock w/iTunes support.

iTunes Clock X 0.3.2 - Set iTunes to play MP3s at specific time.

MP3 Alarm Clock for OSX 2.2 - Wake up to specified MP3 songs.

I personally use MP3 Alarm Clock. It doesn't play AAC/MP4 files and sometimes I have to relaunch it to get it to remember to use the "gradually increasing volume" option, but at least it's free. Also, the interface is "eh".

Features it has:
    • custom volume to 200%

• custom playback speed

• custom playlist for alarms

• custom snooze time

• can set many different alarms with different settings

• gradually increasing alarm volume

• decreasing snooze times

• it's free

I tried Alarm Clock Pro for its feature that would wake the computer from sleep mode, but it caused all sorts of problems with my dual G4. I ended up having to literally pull the plug and cold boot the computer several times when testing the feature.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If I use the pref in Energy Saver to start up my computer at a certain time, will it wake it up at that time, too?

(Sorry...I'm not at a Mac right now, so I can't check)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Alarm Clock Pro 6.3.9 - Let your computer wake you.

I tried Alarm Clock Pro for its feature that would wake the computer from sleep mode, but it caused all sorts of problems with my dual G4. I ended up having to literally pull the plug and cold boot the computer several times when testing the feature. [/B]

I've been using Alarm Clock Pro for about a year and a half now, and its only managed to take down my dual 867 at wakeup once (about a year ago)... that may have been because back in the early 10.2 days it was using an (amazing) hack to communicate directly with the PMU (whereas so far as I know, it now it uses the APIs Apple has finally got around to providing to do this).

[edit: my post count has gone backwards by 2 since last night! I mean, I knew some of my posts were pretty worthless, but isn't that a bit weird?]
  • Reply 4 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    You can also do this with iCal. Use the energy control panel to set the time to wake up the computer. About 5 minutes before the alarm time is good. Set an alarm for the desired time. For the desired action tell it to launch an application. The application will be a small Applesript. The script is this:

Quote:

tell application "iTunes"

\tplay playlist "name"

end tell

Substitute the desired playlist name.

Once you have a script running you could do other things like change the volume, play short alerts, read text to you out loud. The last is easiest.

Quote:

Say "Good morning sir. Please wake up and greet the day."

etc., etc., etc.