iPhoto 4.0.1 in SU!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So, who's going to take the first leap? It reorganizes your library and upgrades thumbnails... sounds like disaster to me. But, Faster is always good.

Here's the official caption in Software Update.

Quote:

iPhoto 4.0.1 includes many organizational and stability enhancements. Performance has also been increased throughout the application, giving you faster importing, smoother image viewing and easier Rendezvous photo sharing. This version of iPhoto also features improved thumbnail images in your photo library. To take advantage of this, your thumbnails must be upgraded, which may take a while, depending on the number of photos in your library.

Edit: Oh, and it's only 4.0MB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    The update dramatically improves performance on my PowerBook 667 DVI. It's almost like going from 3 to 4.0 again.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Yeah. Deffo faster. Thumnail update only took 2mins, but I do only have 250 photos.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Took 15 mins here with 1600 photos. Much faster all around.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It blew one of the hinges off my PowerBook and gave me the clap. Is this a known issue?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    minibom

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhotoDPAPService

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/photocd

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/NetServices/Bundles/BookService.NetService

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/NetServices/Bundles/HomePageService.NetService

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/NetServices/Bundles/NetSlidesService.NetService

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/NetServices/Bundles/PrintsService.NetService

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/NetServices/Frameworks/NetServices.framework

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/ContactSheetPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/CubeTransition.IAPlugin

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/DissolveTransition.IAPlugin

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/FileExporter.iPhotoExporter

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/FullPagePrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/GreetingCardPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/HTMLExporter.iPhotoExporter

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/MosaicFlipTransition.IAPlugin

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/NUpPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/QTExporter.iPhotoExporter

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/SamplerPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/SizedPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter

./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/WipeTransition.IAPlugin

./Library/Application Support/NetServices/BookService

./Library/Application Support/NetServices/NetSlidesService

./Library/Application Support/NetServices/PrintsService

Also a bunch of Italian and Korean support added.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

It blew one of the hinges off my PowerBook and gave me the clap. Is this a known issue?

I got syphilis...It's definitely a virus.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

ahhhh HA HAH AHAH AHAAAA

The lack of a smiley made that post 10 times funnier. Good post, bro.

• Reply 8 of 21
    It took seconds to install...

Now running for the first time...

Quote:

Your thumbnails need to be upgraded

In this version of iPhoto, the small preview images, or ?thumbnails,? have been improved. Upgrading the thumbnails will take a while, depending on the number of photos in your library. Do you want to upgrade your thumbnails now?

Okay, Upgrade...

A little sheet pops down giving an estimated time remaining and a "Finish Later" button...

Fifteen minutes later and my 994 photos are done and ready (on a dual 500 G4).

It's pretty fast, but iPhoto 4 was already fast. Scrolling seems a little smoother and more controlled. Scrolling with a scroll wheel now feels more linear as in Safari rather than ridiculously accelerated.

All in all, a good update.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Fifteen minutes later and my 9 photos are done and ready (on a dual 500 G4).

15 minutes and 9 photos?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Surely he left off two zeros?

I don't have many photos, so it only took a minute to upgrade the thumbnails. I'm not a heavy user of iPhoto, so I can't tell if its bounciness was already present or helped along by this update. But all seems fine. My friend has a pretty large library...I'll ask how her iPhoto responds post-update.

I like being all current and up-to-date anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Maybethose 9 pictures are BIG &%%*^@#ing photos.

Took about 15 minutes for me, with about 1100 photos, most 5 Mp from my camera and 10 Mp film scans. Generally seems fine, maybe better. The 10 Mp scans still make it choke a bit.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Sorry about that. Typo. I meant 994 photos. It's been corrected.

All of the images are maximum-quality 1600x1200 JPEGs.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Hmm. Thumbnails resize VERY smoothly, however they don't seem to be able to get as small as they used to. Anybody else notice this?

Thumbnails DO look much better than I remember them. They have a sharpness and clarity that I didn't notice before. And they "smooth" quicker after a resize or scroll than previously.

Were the "Thumbs" folders spread throughout the iPhoto Library before?

It says Rendezvous sharing is improved. Hopefully next time I try to transfer more than 15 photos to my computer my iPhoto won't crash like it has done EVERY TIME!

Scrolling is darn-near perfect. Nice update.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Can you no longer download the iApps (other than iTunes) from Apple's site? I wasn't aware that this had changed. When iLife was first introduced, you could still DL everything but iDVD. iTunes is the only one of the suite I really use, but I am still a little miffed (for apparently no good reason). And how is it that my iPhoto is only version 2.0? Have the last two major updates been purchase only? I'm running Panther. I don't really use it, but I like to stay up to date on these things, because you just never know.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I just updated.... it took 45 Minutes to update my 3000 picture (3 Megapixel) library. And all's peachy.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

Can you no longer download the iApps (other than iTunes) from Apple's site? I wasn't aware that this had changed. When iLife was first introduced, you could still DL everything but iDVD. iTunes is the only one of the suite I really use, but I am still a little miffed (for apparently no good reason). And how is it that my iPhoto is only version 2.0? Have the last two major updates been purchase only? I'm running Panther. I don't really use it, but I like to stay up to date on these things, because you just never know.

iPhoto was raised from version 2 to version 4, skipping version 3. I guess they wanted iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, and iPhoto to all have the same version number. Also, the last update was only available in the $49 ($29 educational) iLife package. If you're buying iLife for just one of the apps, it's probably not worth it, but if you have a use for more than one, it's a great deal.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    sledgehammer- it took me a sec too think about it but then i remembered they skipped to 4 to put all the iLife programs at the same number. so, u are only missing this one. i agree with you, i dont really use iphoto that much but i need to be up to date. u have to pay for iLife '04, so u are s.o.l.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Yeah, but considering all you get for that $49...that's not asking too much. I'd buy iLife 04 if it cost $149! We got off easy, guys. Absolute, hands-down best-in-class digital media apps, all integrated and this well-done?

Anyone finds something comparable on the PC side (in value, power, integration, price, capability, slickness, etc.) and I'll send them a $10 iTMS certificate.

• Reply 19 of 21
    I'm sorry. Write to Apple, I guess? I didn't make this policy.

They've changed things in the past. If enough of you - those simply wanting iPhoto only - write them and make your case, who knows?

This costs $49 too, but you only get one program. Who knows...down the road you might like having iMovie or iDVD around. I, too, don't have a digital camera or camcorder or any real reason to burn DVDs. But I sure as hell love knowing that I'm covered, software-wise, if I get one or borrow a friend's or whatever.

Do you always think you'll have your current PowerBook? Probably not.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    everytime i try to update my library with this thing it just hangs, im on a g4 450 with 448mb ram, now i know its not a speedy machien but still, i have 900 photos on my library and after half an hour it was still hung, and at that point moving windows around began to f up the iPhoto window, ive reinstalled iPhoto 4 and then the 4.0.1 update but this still happens, whats the deal with this all?