PowerPC announcement by IBM March 31st

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Delaying a whole product line, just to develop some security technology? Now, could you explain how is this possible?

Not that I'm saying this actually happened, but this company intends to buy XServes, load their software and probably put a sticker on the box.

Suppose they bought 1000-2000 units. This may delay the rest of us getting units just like VTech did with the PMG5s.

When you buy so many units, you do get to demand to be served first.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Don't forget the VTech are trading in the PM's for XServes too....

1100 + 1000 = 2 clients that Apple will service before you get your 1 or 2 XServes.

Even if Pixar/ILM/"your company name here" ordered 100 G5 XServes, they probably wouldn't get them until VTech and Symbiot got at least half each of theirs. Doesn't that make you mad

So VTech and Symbiot are both holding up the product to your door.

Personally it doesn't make much difference to me when they ship the G5 XServes...... Just means I can go to work and not worry about configuring them for one more day
  • Reply 23 of 29
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Wow, I guess it's good that Apple server market share is a pin prick. If a couple of orders can throw a wrench into the distribution, the company might implode if they ever got orders on the scale of IBM, DELL or HP .....
  • Reply 24 of 29
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Naw. It's about %s of your market... if IBM got a 1000 unit order, they wouldn't blink. For Apple, that's a Big Order(tm). As the market grows, Big Orders become big orders, and then routine orders.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    How cool would it be to have 1000 xServes cranking through dnetc/folding/seti? Mmmm....
  • Reply 26 of 29
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    The exactly was humor. I am not implying that Apple would hold for anything. I believe that XServe will ship when it is ready, same for the PowerMac and iMac, PowerBook. I was not implying anything. The application is interesting only. The real news here is that IBM is making an announcement, unless you are like me and find this application very interesting. Macs guarding the gate of corporate america. It just so happens that they both pull their rabbits out of their hats on the same day.

Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Delaying a whole product line, just to develop some security technology? Now, could you explain how is this possible? Since we are already on March 22, and if you go to order a G5 XServe you get the usual 5-7 weeks shipping time. Somewhere around May, that is. 4 months away from the new XServe introduction. I don't remember something similar in the Mac history, the more recent at least. May I say... incredible?

• Reply 27 of 29
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

The application is interesting only. The real news here is that IBM is making an announcement, unless you are like me and find this application very interesting. Macs guarding the gate of corporate america.

With the current knowledge status on the subject, I would say scary things. Simply, since we don't know what's exactly about this. Time will tell. And soon I presume.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by tink

Wow, I guess it's good that Apple server market share is a pin prick. If a couple of orders can throw a wrench into the distribution, the company might implode if they ever got orders on the scale of IBM, DELL or HP .....

Actually, you're doing a disservice to Apple in some ways.

The last major corporate IT refurb that I managed (admittedly some three years ago) involved the purchase around 1800 IBM laptops for the site for which I was responsible and probably about the same for a site way up in the north of Scotland.

Because the laptop in question was relatively new, IBM had real problems keeping us and Aberdeen happy simultaneously; some days, we were down to our last 10 laptops before a new supply arrived which was way too close for comfort for my liking as I liked to have around 160 units pre-imaged in our stores.

Just some perspective?
  • Reply 29 of 29
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Since we are already on March 22, and if you go to order a G5 XServe you get the usual 5-7 weeks shipping time.

Ok, it starts shipping.