Quicksilver

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone used it? I just got it this morning and it's a slick little app. I wonder if it'll replace my old standby - LaunchBar. In case you don't know what it either of those are, here's a link: http://www.blacktree.com/apps/quicksilver/ . Check it out. It's pretty cool.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Wow... That's really cool.

Set the search box to be a bezel, and it looks like it's a built in UI. Very slick.

I think that will become a mainstay on my computer. Thanks!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Wow... That's really cool.

Set the search box to be a bezel, and it looks like it's a built in UI. Very slick.

I think that will become a mainstay on my computer. Thanks!

No problem. I was over at their forums and it looks like the author's thinking about making the code open source and free (or donationware). Pretty cool. :cool:
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    nice program, thanks man!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Wow, first serious LaunchBar competitor I've seen. Even better, perhaps.

Very nice.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I've been playing with QS some more, and I'm just dazzled. This is, even in beta, hands above LaunchBar (which I always respected but could never quite love). It's brilliant.

You just keep scratching the surface and finding more and more fascinating usage possibilities. And there's something very, very smart in how the UI offers a kind of "power" hot-key usage for the classic Macintosh noun-verb model.

I'm using w/ bezel, no dock icon, no menu extra.

Check it out, everyone!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    It is a very nice application. I haven't figured out all the options yet (what's the shelf for?) because there's no documentation, but it's fun to play with. It seems to do what LB does but in a more advanced way - and the options for what to do with what you've selected are great. I can't wait for it to grow some docs.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    krisnephkrisneph Posts: 143member
    I tried it but I didn't like it. I think LaunchBar is better cause it doesn't get in my way. I already use Path Finder and I think Launch Bar is a good complement. I don't like the UI of QS it get in my way. What other features does QS have ? Maybe I'll give it another try.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

I tried it but I didn't like it. I think LaunchBar is better cause it doesn't get in my way. I already use Path Finder and I think Launch Bar is a good complement. I don't like the UI of QS it get in my way. What other features does QS have ? Maybe I'll give it another try.

I find it far easier to use it for doing things other than launching files/applications. I haven't used Pathfinder so I don't know how LB and it work together so I can't speak to it's suitability to replace your current combo. For me it takes as step out of doing things other than launching.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Screenshot anyone? Not everybody has panther to run it.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Screenshot anyone? Not everybody has panther to run it.

There's really not a whole lot that's screenshotable. But here's the gist of it. cmd+space (or some other modifier) brings up a window. It can be bezelled like this one:

There's a window:

There's a menu:

Tabbing while you've got a document in the window will give you some options:

It also can propagate itself with Services:

It also has a shelf that's impossible to get a screen cap of, but you can drag things to it for later.