Ford not living up to its promise.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I saw an article on msnbc saying alot of people are mad at Ford that they didn't come out with an envioment safe suv yet. They said that they will back in 1998-2000. While chevys can reach to 30 mpg on the highway. And 24 in the city. Toyatas can reach 3x the number then fords. Jeeps are another company that have poor gas mileage the wrangler 16 mpg in the city and 19 on the highway. While the car that I want is the Chevy Colorado which has 18 mpg in the city and 21 mpg on highway. Ford may want to get its act together if they don't want a big lawsuit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Eh. Go GM???
  • Reply 2 of 65
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Gas mileage on these cars is absolutely ridiculous. It is like these companies are trying not to innovate.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    What's the word for reverse innovation?
  • Reply 4 of 65
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Wasn't there a bunch of hybrid SUVs at this year car show?
  • Reply 5 of 65
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Gas mileage on these cars is absolutely ridiculous. It is like these companies are trying not to innovate.

The oil industry is large and powerful
  • Reply 6 of 65
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

What's the word for reverse innovation?

Microsoft
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

The oil industry is large and powerful

Yea that explains it. My Honda only gets 15 MPG
  • Reply 8 of 65
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Heh, it does make me happy to hear that Mercedes is bringing their E-Class diesel to the States.

Of course there's always VW's TDI line.

It does make you wonder why more people don't drive diesels. The modern ones are far more fuel efficient and burn much cleaner.

Ah well.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Wasn't there a bunch of hybrid SUVs at this year car show?

possibly, I have only heard of one hybrid SUV, and even then, it barely gets more than 30 MPG from what I heard.

good by today's SUV standards, but certainly not great.

Early Hybrid car prototypes got 80+ MPG.

That said, there are about 12 Hybrid cars scheduled to be released throughout this year and the next, including a hybrid diesel truck.

This will not only improve the market, but it will make them more economically feasible to have a hybrid, both in the short term, and the long term (gas prices are predicted to be ~$3/gallon this summer)
  • Reply 10 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

It does make you wonder why more people don't drive diesels. The modern ones are far more fuel efficient and burn much cleaner.

Ah well.

and diesel gas is generally cheaper than regular
  • Reply 11 of 65
    Quote:

and diesel gas is generally cheaper than regular

Usually, although around here (north of Houston) the prices seem about the same.

However, diesel prices haven't jumped recently like gas prices have.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:

(gas prices are predicted to be ~$3/gallon this summer)

I don't see that happening.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Quote:

Me neither, but prices are creeping close to $2.

Premium is already $1.85~$1.90 here.

At least in Texas. 8)
  • Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:

in california gas prices are generally .20-.30 cents more expensive than many other states, as such, our gas prices are predicted to reaching $3/gallon.

but, that was just one source, so it may or may not be true. Either way, they are damn expensive as it is now, enough that having a car that gives you 10-15 more MPG will end up saving you a pretty penny.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Me neither, but prices are creeping close to $2.

!

they have been 2.20-2.30 in california
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Anyone that buys high octane is a chump. I just drove from Chicago to Detroit and gas was about 1.8 to 1.6. Bush wont let it get to $3. Election year.

You move from an SUV to a Honda and gas goes from 1.60 to .80 a gallon
  • Reply 17 of 65
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Microsoft

• Reply 18 of 65
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    This is a little off topic. A friend of mine says that GM owns every American built car company. I don't believe him. Personally I think he's crazy. Maybe he's not. If this is true can someone find the proof.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

they have been 2.20-2.30 in california

If I didn't make a mistake in the conversion from euro to dollar and liter to gallon, gas prices are above $4.30 here in Germany. Diesel is at $4.17. You'll find less high powered SUV's here. Over 40% of new cars which are sold here do have diesel engines.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

If I didn't make a mistake in the conversion from euro to dollar and liter to gallon, gas prices are above $4.30 here in Germany. Diesel is at $4.17. You'll find less high powered SUV's here. Over 40% of new cars which are sold here do have diesel engines.

If my memory serves me correctly, europe has always been notorious for very high gas prices and much stricter regulations and/or smaller more efficient vehicles for the most part.

that said, at least a gallon of gas gets you a lot farther in germany than in southern california....edit: I just checked my assumption based statement, while california has a greater total land area, germany is not far behind it, ~155,973 Sq. Miles(403,968 sq km) for california and ~134,914 Sq. Miles(349,520 sq km) for germany. So my statement is more or less moot, especially since I haven't been to germany and I don't know how spread out it is compared to SoCal, but if it's anything like SoCal(valleys/coast north of LA) then it still takes you a half a tank of gas to get anywhere it seems