Adventures with iPod and .m4a

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I got the 15g jobbie a few weeks back and I love the thing. I dropped it twice, so I got a case (the one with the drawstring and I like it because it has a good belt clip.

But I ran into a problem, my ~40gig music collection. I went on a mission of rating. As it stands now I have 6804 total tracks and only 864 remain unrated. So I set it for automagic update with some selective lists and it could not even fit all of my 4 & 5 star music.

I was at 2301 songs and 8MB of free space when I decided to try out 128kbps AAC.

Currently on the iPod:

2775 songs and 1.6GB free.

I honestly do not hear any quality difference. It was a lot of work but I now have plenty of room to acquire new music and put it on the iPod before worrying about rating it.

What a nice little codec AAC is.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Is that the EXO case?

Sigh...I'm currently making "getting an iPod" into a multi-year art project.

Honest to goodness, I was going to get one pretty much NOW. But then all that business slated for April 18 at NAB and the Apple event scheduled. One more month, then I pull the trigger, no ifs, ands or buts.

I think I'm the only person here without an iPod.

• Reply 2 of 5
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    No, it's a Belkin, $15 at Target.

The iPod is one of those "how did I live without this?" devices.

I only wish I could hook it up to a computer and burn a quick CD... ah well.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I've been saying that for years. You never know what it's like til you have one.

Quote:

You can, but you have to manage your playlists manually if you want to do that. If you manage your playlists manually, you'll get all the same options of a regular iTunes playlist when you plug the iPod in. Not an ideal solution but it works. :/
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

No, it's a Belkin, $15 at Target.

there's also a program on VT that lets you burn a cd in toast 5 directly from the iPod
  • Reply 5 of 5
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    torifile:

I will just switch off the auto-update before disconnecting, I'll see if that does it.