Dual 1.8 or .....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

first time poster on this page so please be nice

I'm thinking of getting a new powermac in the next month or so....finaly steppiong up from a old iMac DV 400 into the real world.

Now I'm going to be using the G5 for Music which could be done on a good G4 but I thought hell why go for a G4 why I've got the money for a new G5.

At the moment I've got enough money for a Dual 1.8 about 1800 GB pounds but I don't want to buy it and then a month later a new line of G5s come out and mine in now not 1 from top but bottom ie if it goes all dual from 1.8 - 2 - (2.5) and 3Ghz

Do you think I should wait a month or two and see what happens or will it all be the same?

Thanks for any help...and I know that only "steve" and some others at apple will be able to ans my questions but please try

ta

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    First of all, welcome to AI, hope you enjoy your stay!

But I'm going to have to be mean...sort of. This thread is purchasing advice, which belongs in General Discussion. Just for future reference

As far as the G5s, wait! Do not buy now. We all have our fingers crossed that the Rev. B G5s are going to come out sometime in the next few weeks. So do not buy now.

You've got the right idea, always buy the most computer that you can afford at the time, you'll never regret it. So hold out for a few more weeks and than get your hands on a sweet new G5.

Again, welcome to AI!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Moving to General Discussion... click!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Also (and this is advice I give to most people who are looking for a new computer), look into refurbished products. They're as good as new, they come with a factory warranty, and you save quite a bit of money on them. The only drawback is you can't do BTO with a refurbished machine, so you have to be okay with the stock specifications.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    def. wait for updates/...should be here in two days!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Also (and this is advice I give to most people who are looking for a new computer), look into refurbished products. They're as good as new, they come with a factory warranty, and you save quite a bit of money on them. The only drawback is you can't do BTO with a refurbished machine, so you have to be okay with the stock specifications.

Refurbs are great...especially if it's a PowerMac where perhaps one may not be as concerned about minor scratches (if there are any).
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I bought my iMac from Refurb and did save a bit, I was also lookiung into getting an Edu discount which would also save me, the only thing is I can only find a few stores online that sell macs...and Apple.com/uk seems to have the best prices for refurbs (anyone from the uk here please post any online sites where I can look at prices)

I think I'll wait..I'm not overseas at the moment and so I'll have to wait for another month soooo Come on you new G5s!!!

Also I was thinking with the new G5s that come out do you think that they'll be much different apart from just bigger chips? like the difference with the 1.6 and the Dual 1.8 having different Ram and Bus speeds and so on?

PS. Thanks for the warm welcome...so many discussion boards have a tight group of regulars who think they're the kings of all things Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    nilkanilka Posts: 14member
    But hey we are the kings of all mac. That is a fact and we all know it.

Those PC-bastards can just trie and steal my mac and they will see I am the KING!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Hi. Well personally I'd wait. That's what I'm doing right now, I need a machine for college, so it comes down to what will ship before August at this point. With anyluck Powerbook G5's will come (I can dream, right?) and then I won't have to get both a G5 and a PB.

As for the upcoming Powermacs, I think that the underlying technology will pretty much be the same and that we will see the weaker architecture of the 1.6Ghz G5 disappear. WIth anyluck we will get an all dual line!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    plan-bplan-b Posts: 36member
    cancom have very good refurbs.... btw

i wasnt all that impressed by my dual 1.8 with 2 gb ram

i didnt feel it was fast in every day use....

and there quite noisy i find...

although im sure that will be fixed with the rev b....

you can pick up a refurbed 2.0 dualie for about 1950 at cancom

but still wait for rev bs

hope it helps