keynote 2.0?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i dont know if im the only one thinking of it, maybe its that i use this app every week for school, but where on earth is keynote 2.0? and what do you think itll bring, im guessing the following.

speed, speed, speed.

cropping images

ability to set slides up as timed shows

livetype title effects like we've seen in steves shows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Shit, all I want is to be able to transition from one graphic to another with a single click without having to jump through hoops to make it look like it works. That was my one complaint about Keynote when I was using last semester. Well, that and speed, but what else is new? I figure it gives me a good excuse to get a new laptop with my new job. 3 months and counting til when I've got some money. Woo hoo!!!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

....but where on earth is keynote 2.0?

Hmm, same place that the Apple consumer Office suite is, maybe...?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Why do I get the sense that Apple is chickening out. They have a bunch of options but the two prevalent ones are.

1. Risk the wrath of Billy Gates and create your Office Suite. Not as a clone of MS Office but as of a well thought out suite aimed at maximum efficiency.

2. Shelve whatever they have to blow smoke up your customers anal cavity by telling them you actually are trying to get in the Eprise market. Yeah right based on 3rd party software? Good luck.

Hopefully i'm being far too pessimistic.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Speaking of Keynote, I just got back from using my laptop to present a slideshow for my class. My teacher was impressed as all can get by the cube-spin. That and I put the Anchorman trailer in the show, so it was awesome. My saying is "Cubespin = A". I too am looking forward to what 2.0 has to offer.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ayup. I gave a talk at an ACM/IEEE conference in October, and used the cubespin for 'chapter changes', and the wipe for 'page changes'.

First cube spin, and everyone sat up straighter, I swear.

It gets their attention.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    It would be nice if Keynote was updated but it appears to have made MS get off their ass and improve PP in the next Office update.

Personally, I have cut back on the use of these kinds of presentations. Thank gawd...
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I hope they give an option for the transitions and stuff, Random. Man I hate having to pick the transition by myself, a nice random one would be great.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

It would be nice if Keynote was updated but it appears to have made MS get off their ass and improve PP in the next Office update.

I asked some MS guy at MWSF if MS Office would accept PDF files for graphics and he didn't know. I think the beauty of dropping a PDF file in keynote from any OSX app is what I love best about Keynote. I couldn't beleive when I got office X how bad PDF file look when placed in word or powerpoint.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

I hope they give an option for the transitions and stuff, Random. Man I hate having to pick the transition by myself, a nice random one would be great.

The transitions IMHO are great eyecandy to sell the app, but must be used like cayenne pepper-sparingly. Personally I think fade in or out is the best. I can only see using the "louder" transitions like mosaic and cube if your really trying to make a point that your leavin one topic for the next. It's just too much-very distracting. Notice Steve's talks-very clean and simple. So, i guess I have to disagree with you. Random changes would make your talk look like an absolute mess. People would concentrate on your transitions rather than what you are trying to present.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Someone on the macnn boards said the entire Keynote team was laid off after its release and that it would not be updated anymore. Does anyone know anything of this?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by crawlingparanoia

Someone on the macnn boards said the entire Keynote team was laid off after its release and that it would not be updated anymore. Does anyone know anything of this?

I hope not! That would be kind of wierd since I haven't heard of that many Apple lay-offs and why would you get rid of a bunch of good programmers when I'm sure they could be used for other projects such as AppleWorks, even if Keynote was a one time thing (which I doubt).
  • Reply 12 of 20
    there's one thing I'd love to see in Keynote and that's LiveType!!!! Imagine doing presentations with that!!!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I hope not! That would be kind of wierd since I haven't heard of that many Apple lay-offs and why would you get rid of a bunch of good programmers when I'm sure they could be used for other projects such as AppleWorks, even if Keynote was a one time thing (which I doubt).

I think the reasoning was something like, "we made this product for Steve, it's done & finished, so why spend time/money on it anymore, but hey its great so let's sell it."
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

I think the reasoning was something like, "we made this product for Steve, it's done & finished, so why spend time/money on it anymore, but hey its great so let's sell it."

Software is never done. If Apple took this approach a class action lawsuit would be imminent.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    On what grounds?

You paid for Keynote 1.0, you got Keynote 1.0. I don't recall any contract stating that I got any promises to future versions.

I mean if I *did*, then cool!

I just don't recall such.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

The transitions IMHO are great eyecandy to sell the app, but must be used like cayenne pepper-sparingly. Personally I think fade in or out is the best. I can only see using the "louder" transitions like mosaic and cube if your really trying to make a point that your leavin one topic for the next. It's just too much-very distracting.

look at sites and samples like from keynoteuser.com. they really know how to utilize the transitions to their full potential (i especially like a "push" transition that uses a large common image to span multiple slides. VERY nice engaging effect that works with the transition, not despite it.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

On what grounds?

You paid for Keynote 1.0, you got Keynote 1.0. I don't recall any contract stating that I got any promises to future versions.

I mean if I *did*, then cool!

I just don't recall such.

On the "Waahaaa I'm gonna throw a tantrum" grounds. Ok I should have known better. But I'm hoping for a Keynote 2.0 and I'm pretty sure it's coming since it's vital for education.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    O i know! the new one should have "move" and "stressing" options. options that allow you to move the object in a programmed path. like having a movie window come up, then have it shrink and move to the left, allowing some text to come in. And with stressing, allowing you to make a particular bullet, become bigger, then smaller to stress the word.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Those people probably just moved to other teams, and maybe they were or were not let go after that. Usually positions are fluid in a company and you move around wherever there's a need or a gap.

I don't see why Keynote needs upadates as often as othe rapps. It needs refinements like the ones first mentioned, but unless Apple dovetails it with some Office suite, that's all it needs, and it's not high priority especially in this economy when everyone is still walking on eggshells.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

O i know! <snip>

I have a headache.