Aluminum Display - (Apple slideshow leak?)

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Apple is missing something here.

Flat displays from the big makers regularly come with two inputs. The best I've seen (like Dell 2001FP and some of the Eyegonomic screens) also have composite, and the features don't seem to cost much if Dell uses them.

It's a huge selling point for me if I can plug another computer into the same screen. Even better if the game console can join in as well.
  • Reply 102 of 115
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    People were saying that a 30" might be too heavy for an iMac arm...what if you had 2 arms?

• Reply 103 of 115
    Hmm... Display for iMacG5

good idea

• Reply 104 of 115
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    But with two arms you limit vertical maneuverability.
  • Reply 105 of 115
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

But with two arms you limit vertical maneuverability.

Horizantal maneuverability?
  • Reply 106 of 115
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    for people needing horizontal maneuverability, MOVE YOUR MONITOR WITH YOUR HANDS! shocking, i know.
  • Reply 107 of 115
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chaser

What if the joints were some type of ball and socket joint rather than a hinge...
  • Reply 108 of 115
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Quote:

Whatever, same diff

The sad thing was that I sat and tried to visualize which axis the design would limit and I still got it wrong
  • Reply 109 of 115
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Whatever, same diff

The sad thing was that I sat and tried to visualize which axis the design would limit and I still got it wrong

Yeah, you could move it up and down, or tilt it up and down but be limited to only only moving shifting it with no real angle change side to side.... A rotation side to side movement would be needed.

It's a difficult problem.

I think best solved by those dedicated monitor arms that are heavy duty and meant to be wall mounted.

(Sort of like those deck lamp arms.)

MSKR
  • Reply 110 of 115
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    I was in BestBuy today and saw a Flat panel with 2 arms. It didn't work very well, and looked even worse. Sorry I don't remember the brand.
  • Reply 111 of 115
    Why horizontal movement?

No LCD has horizontal movement, only vertical & tilt forward & backward.
  • Reply 112 of 115
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icerabbit

Why horizontal movement?

No LCD has horizontal movement, only vertical & tilt forward & backward.

iMac LCD displays have horizontal movement.

MSKR
  • Reply 113 of 115
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I think vertical adjustment and forward and back tilt would be adequate but Apple has set a formidable standard with the iMac. Whether they'll be able to meet that standard with new stand-alone displays is yet to be seen. Almost any kind of adjustment would be better than the current displays and better than the example where this thread got started.
  • Reply 114 of 115
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

30" display customers have a different definition of affordable and don't have average desks. Such a monitor would sell very well (and very profitably) to high end users.

Agreed. A potential 30inch screen would satisfy pro users ie FCP & shake but there are custom solutions out there currently - ie trading room floor monitors ect... I hope to god though that apple get it right with all there screen sizes and give us a design and form factor with thin bezel face so that when monitors and placed next to each other and spanned there is a the smallest physical gap from screen to screen.
  • Reply 115 of 115
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    This is more Apple, but it's unlike Apple to just copy a previous design, I don;t know. I see these design and i don't think yeah that's it, i have done with previous models and i'm usually right!!

Secondly, an old point, the LCD monitors did not look exactly the same as the old PowerMacs which is what i was saying that's why they all went together, that's why this design can;t look to like the G5 it has to allow growth for design.