PDF reader to save filled-in PDF forms?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I fill in a lot of PDF forms in Acrobat Reader. The only problem is Acrobat Reader won't let me save the info that I type into the form. Anyone know of an OS X PDF reader that will allow me to do this, preferably a free program. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    donny1donny1 Posts: 33member
    One way you might be able to do this is by clicking on file>print in Acrobat, then clicking on Preview. It should open your document in Preview which you can then save as a PDF. I'm not sure if it will transfer your text though, but worth a try.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    when you save, do you mean so that you can come back to it later and continue filling it in? if so, then there isn't anything.

you need the full version of acrobat.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    ... or Stone's Create or any other app that can import and fill in PDFs aside from Acrobat. Apple's PDF tech in OS X lets you do this. Acrobat Reader is crippleware.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, if you ask adobe, their response is to hook the fields in a pdf back to a database on your server, which can then push the info back to the pdf when you log into a secure area on your web site. i mean, think about it, that's really the way it should work, and obviates security issues since all the private info is on the server, not inside multiple pdfs floating around.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    On this topic...

I would like every PDF that downloads in Camino/Explorer/Safari etc. to open in Reader, rather than Preview. I deeply dislike Preview.

(Does anyone really like Preview?)

I have changed the helper app in Explorer, but Camino/Safari still open PDF's in the [default] preview. How do I change the default app for PDF?

I've tried using "open with" in Get Info to change all, but that doesn't work on new downloads. There isn't a preference in the Internet pane of sys/pref.

What to do?\
  • Reply 6 of 6
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

well, if you ask adobe, their response is to hook the fields in a pdf back to a database on your server, which can then push the info back to the pdf when you log into a secure area on your web site. i mean, think about it, that's really the way it should work, and obviates security issues since all the private info is on the server, not inside multiple pdfs floating around.

Why doesn't Filemaker have it's own built in "form-builder" solution?

Save a "clone" of the database on your server, When someone fills out the form on the site, it saves the session to an individual, encrypted vCard-like format which can be simply downloaded, dragged and dropped onto the relevant database file icon.

Exactly like how a new vCard can be dropped into Address Book.

Why does it have to be any harder than that?