iBook and non-Apple airport card

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am awaiting my new purchase: 14" iBook 933. Got it refurbished from Apple Store for $1099. Great deal, I think.

Anyway, I will be purchasing an Airport card to connect to my 802.11g capable network. I want to know if the iBook only accepts the Apple Airport Extreme or if I can buy a different, less expensive brand. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Sorry, the iBook has only a special Airport Extreme slot. All other 802.11g cards for laptops use PC Card slots, and the iBook doesn't have one.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Yeah, not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks for the info.

Now, will I need any kind of special adaptor, or will the Apple Airport Extreme just plug straight in? I also have a regular Apple Airport Card. Will that work in it too? (With or without adaptor?)
  • Reply 3 of 12
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    The AE card will plug right in, no problem, no adaptor.

A regular AirPort card will not work.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Airport Extreme is mini pci, and there are plenty of other mini pci wifi cards around. They arent really any cheaper cards, and the AE card might be using a custom form factor. Seems like more trouble than it is worth to me.

If you want a cheap choice you can get a usb wifi adapter for 40$ from compusa that is os x compatible.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    But of course ya get stuck with that thing sticking out your sleek new iBook about two inches.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Oh, just buy the darn AirPort Card and be done with it. Saving a few Happy Meals worth of money isn't worth having a friggin' USB thingamabob sticking out the side.

It also makes it much easier to sell later, whether it's still installed, or sold separately.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    If you really want to save a few coins, keep an eye on the special deals section of apple's website. You can get the Airport Extreme card for $79.00 refurbed.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    The refurbished AP Extreme is what I ended up ordering. I just got the iBook today. Love it so far. Look forward to getting the AP card tomorrow along with an extra 512 of RAM. Thanks for the advice.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Is it hard to install?

Where does it go?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Easy to install... it's internal, so there is no slot or port on the outside of the iBook. You pop off the keyboard (carefully), connect the antenna to the card and pop the card in (or visa versa)... close it up and you're finished. Have patience setting the keyboard back in place... it's a nearly perfect fit so it can be finicky getting it in place.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I take it that is where these 2 spring-loaded plastic clips at the top of the keyboard come in? Slide them back, and the keyboard will pop-out?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Well... to a degree... yes... I don't have my iBook in front of me... but I think it's over the #5 or #6 key... a little clear screw-type thingy (it's also the caps lock or num lock light... I forget which). If you slide back the tabs and the keyboard seems to be stuck in the middle... use a small screwdriver and turn that screw 90 degrees in either direction (it's basically a little latch). I suggest you check out the instructions with the Airport card if you have one... and if you're just curious... you can get them online. It's pretty straight forward... but that keyboard has a super-snug fit and can be a little tricky to set in place.