URGENT HELP NEEDED ! I deleted a folder

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
HELP !

I erased by mistake a 200 MB folder, and I need to restore it fast !

HOW !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Pull out your regular backup CDs?

Seriously, you're out of luck. If it's *really* critical data (ie. worth spending money to get back) you should pull the plug on the drive ASAP and look for one of those drive recovery companies. They'll charge you hundreds of dollars maybe more to recover the date.

Otherwise, you're screwed. That's why there's an "are you sure?" dialog. \

Moving to the Genius Bar...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    PLEASE!

There's surely a way in OS X to undo this ? Erased files only has a flag as "erased", until something is writed on them. How can I drop that flag ??

There is surely an utility out there to recover data ! HOW ? WHERE ? PLEASE!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

PLEASE!

There's surely a way in OS X to undo this ? Erased files only has a flag as "erased", until something is writed on them. How can I drop that flag ??

There is surely an utility out there to recover data ! HOW ? WHERE ? PLEASE!

Take a pill...re read Brad's post...and than start finding cash for a data recovery company. Sorry, you really are out of luck. If Brad can't do it, no one can.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    There is no magic flag you can toggle on or off.

There is no magic flag for Windows' NTFS or FAT32.

There is no magic flag for Mac OS X's HFS+.

There is no magic flag for Classic Mac OS's HFS.

In fact, if the drive has been in operation since you erased all that data, there's a good chance you've already overwritten it by now anyway. Remember that your system is constantly writing to the disk for basic tasks such as virtual memory swapping and that the Finder and other apps are constantly writing data to preferences and .DS_Store and other files.

The only way an end user can reliably recover erased data is if you already had installed a data tracking tool beforehand that logs where everything is stored. Remember, this isn't just about whether data has been overwritten; it's also about locating that data and piecing together the segments across the drive.

So, in short, unless you've long-since disabled this drive and called up a data recovery agency, you're screwed.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    In the past, in the rare cases of file deletion I've experienced, I was able to use Norton tools to unerase the files and recover them.

This was very easy. Of course, if I save a new file, there is a risk it overwrite the old "erased" file, so I wont be able to recover it. But the disk is large and I didn't made much things on it since the accident, so I should be able to recover many of them. I just need the right tools.

My old Norton tool to unerase files don't work in OS X, and I wasn't able to make it to work under Classic. It just refused to launch. I don't know why.

Now, the real problem is this : there is so much small "erased" files that even Norton tool, if it was able to work, would show me a HUGE pack of files to choose in its unerase file list. This is a nightmare.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Try this link for data recovery software.

http://www.binarybiz.com/vlab/mac.php

Dobby.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    OS X sucks!!!1!!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

OS X sucks!!!1!!

Yuo win teh Prize!!!1! Two CookIes with teh whippes cReam!!!!one!!1!!1
  • Reply 9 of 9
    slackulaslackula Posts: 262member
    Yeah, Apple needs to fix this if they ever want to sell more computers!

But seriously....Maybe it's just me, but whenever I read one of Brad's post I find myself with that Frodo Baggins far off look in my eyes wishing I know one-tenth as much as Brad does about computers, operating systems, etc.

You're the man, Brad!