my hour as an apple store employee

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
this all happened over a week ago, but i was on spring break, and i was too busy chillin with the ladies to care about posting this. anyways...

so i visited the indianapolis apple store on my way home because i had never been to one and that made me angry since i'm a mac freak. so i walked into the store, soaked everything in, then went straight to the g5's to fool aorund with garageband and everything. after an hour of making compositions, i walked around until a random guy approached me. i had never been to an apple store before, and i didnt realize all the employees wore black tshirts and jeans, and coincidentally, thats exactly what i was wearing (minus the apple logo on my chest). so the guy asked me if i worked in the store, and i said no, but that i could probably answer any question he had. he asked me about the lcd's and some other stuff, and i explained everything to him, them pointed him to the online apple store for more info and prices.

i turned around, and someone else immediatley asked me the same question (if i worked there). again i said i could answer pretty much anything, and she said she was considering making the switch from pc to mac. so there i was, in an apple store, and the chance to change someone's life by swtiching then to the better side. she was interested in pbooks, so we looked at those i explained all the features of panther and how easy everything was, and we got to talking about something, and it turned out she went to my university. so we talked about that, looked at more pbooks and ibooks, then were told by the real employees that they were closing and we had to leave (we were the only people left in the store). so anyways, we exchanged emails, and i think she's gonna get a pbook... and i think i'm gonna try to get a job at an apple store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    How do I connect my Apple StyleWriter to my new PowerBook?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    You goob, to heck with the job...you just got a DATE!
  • Reply 3 of 22
    n2nrnn2nrn Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

String
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by n2nrn

String

Wrong. Duct tape.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    grecygrecy Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

You goob, to heck with the job...you just got a DATE!

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read it!

-Dan
  • Reply 6 of 22
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

A Localtalk to Ethernet bridge, either in the form of dedicated hardware or an old Mac with serial an ethernet ports. You should be able to find a dedicated one quite cheaply on eBay, otherwise you're probably better i) getting a newer printer (as it would probably be cheaper than a bridge) or ii) using an old Mac as a Localtalk/Ethernet bridge.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    sroachsroach Posts: 105member
    hey buddy,

Do you work here?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm certain I sold more colored jellybean iMacs at the San Marcos and La Costa CompUSA than any true employee actually working there, years ago.

Seemed like every time I went there, I ended up rescuing some couple, granny or soccer mom from a clueless Red Shirt nimrod who was bashing the Macs, EVEN if the customer outright said "I want a Mac, can you help me?".

They should've put me on the payroll.

On a couple of occasions, I even ended up at the person's house and set it up and gave them a basic Mac tutorial and answered all their questions (and this was the OS 9, pre-iApp days!).

I think that's why I dig on 30/40-something soccer mom types so much.

• Reply 9 of 22
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Quote:

[I] Originally posed by ipodandimac:

...and coincidentally, thats exactly what i was wearing...

Sure, it was "coincidental." I bet you get some kind of sick pleasure out of posing as an "employee" don't you?

• Reply 10 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

A Localtalk to Ethernet bridge, either in the form of dedicated hardware or an old Mac with serial an ethernet ports. You should be able to find a dedicated one quite cheaply on eBay, otherwise you're probably better i) getting a newer printer (as it would probably be cheaper than a bridge) or ii) using an old Mac as a Localtalk/Ethernet bridge.

I wasn't asking you!

Anyway, Gimp-Print, a USB->Serial adapter and some elbow grease would be easiest...
  • Reply 11 of 22
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Sure, it was "coincidental." I bet you get some kind of sick pleasure out of posing as an "employee" don't you?

ya, i have a fetish with apple, so i pose as an employee and get off from it

in all seriousness, i really had no idea that's what they wore until i walked into the store.

and as far as the apple writer thing or whatever, i'll refer you to the GB
  • Reply 12 of 22
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Next time, could you pose and walk out back and give me a new PowerBook? That'd be great, thanks. I'll bring the Apple bag.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    ipodandimac, just an off-the-wall question, but do you go to Purdue?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    "excuse me, I would like to flirt with you, but you are way to obtuse to realize that I am not really looking for computer help, but a date."

do you know if she said anything like that?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Quote:

Originaly posted by ipodandimac

ya, i have a fetish with apple, so i pose as an employee and get off from it

I knew it! I can spot you creeps a mile away
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

"excuse me, I would like to flirt with you, but you are way to obtuse to realize that I am not really looking for computer help, but a date."

do you know if she said anything like that?

i dont think i heard anything like that..... but for the record, the indy apple store is in a fashion mall or something, so... ya... chicks everywhere

a_greer: yup
  • Reply 17 of 22
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    If it makes you feel any better, I sold a topend ipod with 3 accessories in about 15 min to a rather large not so good looking woman. But she tried to hook me up with her daughter who is like a yr older than me. Ordinarily, I would accept an offer, but i have a rule regarding moms. If they mom looks bad chances are 10 yrs later the daughter will look bad, regardless of how she looks now.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    donny1donny1 Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Originally posted by myahmac

If it makes you feel any better, I sold a topend ipod with 3 accessories in about 15 min to a rather large not so good looking woman. But she tried to hook me up with her daughter who is like a yr older than me. Ordinarily, I would accept an offer, but i have a rule regarding moms. If they mom looks bad chances are 10 yrs later the daughter will look bad, regardless of how she looks now.

Yeah, but what if she is adopted?

Still a good rule but I have seen some where the mother looks better than the daughter!

And we all know the rules go out the window anyway when you add beer, or is it just me? \
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Donny1

Still a good rule but I have seen some where the mother looks better than the daughter!

stacy's mom has got it goin' on....
  • Reply 20 of 22
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

I wasn't asking you!

Ooops, now I get it.