13.3" PowerBooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Quite a tasty morsel:

Quote:

Apparently the 12-inch model may be replaced by a thinner, lighter compact model with a widescreen display of about 13.3 diagonal inches -- increasing resolution to 1152x768 without making the enclosure significantly larger than the 12-inch one.

link (scroll down to the bottom)

I really dig the idea. Clean up the product lines so that all powerbooks have widescreens whereas the iBooks retain the traditional displays. Create a 'Book visually bordering to subnotebook territory but with a full keyboard...

My old Ti400 has 1152 - but on 15.2" which makes the fonts coarse and hard to read. Increasing the dot pitch would be just great.

Oh, if you feel obliged to post just to bash MOSR - don't do it. It only shows how lame you are and I don't really care anyways.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    personally i'm a widescreen fan, and i'm jsut gonna wait and see what comes out--i'm in no hurry to get a pbook.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I think if its true, its a great idea that will create a good amount of separation between the iBook and PBs.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    This new size (if true), will help differentiate it further from the iBook line.

I'm sure even the ardent 12" fan would welcome more screen real estate without really sacrificing portability and weight.

The current 15.2 " model would then go to 15.4" widescreen and as you've said, present an all widescreen Powerbook line.

Sounds good.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Who cares about the widescreen... it is all about the thinner pb! (ok, I kinda do care about the widescreen).
  • Reply 5 of 14
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well an all widescreen line up for the Powerbooks would be sweet indeed. Am I mistaken in the belief that the 15-inch powerbooks aren't widescreen?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Well an all widescreen line up for the Powerbooks would be sweet indeed. Am I mistaken in the belief that the 15-inch powerbooks aren't widescreen?

I dont think they are true widescreen? ratios.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i dont care about true ratios. i think the developing trend for many computer users is that they need horizontal space. i'd rather have 1 inch more on each side than 2 inches taller. also, video editors need horizontal room for timelines.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Clean up the product lines so that all powerbooks have widescreens whereas the iBooks retain the traditional displays.

I think a widescreen 13-inch PowerBook would be great, provided that it was no heavier than the current 12-inch PowerBook. In fact a weight reduction would be even more welcome. I'm all for differentiating PowerBooks from iBooks, even though that might me choose an iBook personally.

BTW: Did we really need another thread to discuss the MOSR report? We already have Smaller PowerBooks on the way!

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 14
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    I am better on a better resolution 12"

see here
  • Reply 10 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

I am better on a better resolution 12"

see here

As long as it's smaller and lighter...

Personally, I have a dream of a thinner 4 lbs 12-inch PowerBook with an improved standard-ratio LCD, and a G5 that can scale down so much as to extend battery life to 8 hours. I sincerely believe this is possible with current battery technology, the LCD dimmed way down, and the power management features built into IBM's revised 9nm G5. A G5 (or for that matter, even a G4) wouldn't need to run at more than 500Mhz for basic word processing or e-mail while on battery. We just need more agressive power savings, especially from the processor. Performance for non-heavy-duty tasks is no longer an issue.

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

As long as it's smaller and lighter...

Personally, I have a dream of a thinner 4 lbs 12-inch PowerBook with an improved standard-ratio LCD, and a G5 that can scale down so much as to extend battery life to 8 hours. I sincerely believe this is possible with current battery technology, the LCD dimmed way down, and the power management features built into IBM's revised 9nm G5. A G5 (or for that matter, even a G4) wouldn't need to run at more than 500Mhz for basic word processing or e-mail while on battery. We just need more agressive power savings, especially from the processor. Performance for non-heavy-duty tasks is no longer an issue.

Escher

This what I want

• Reply 12 of 14
    Different take. All black back cover.

Enjoy ! :-)

• Reply 13 of 14
    solerosolero Posts: 30member
    wow, exactly what I dream of
  • Reply 14 of 14
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solero