3GHz G5 Macs, when?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Heck, its a miracle that we are actually seeing a picture of a COMPUTER on Apples front page again.

\
  • Reply 22 of 39
    October????

I guess that leaves me a lot of time to save up for the dual 3ghz G5 power mac. As well as mouse, mini iPod, all-in-one printer, ipod/powermac speakers, 17" digital display.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    The average as of 139 votes points to August 18.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    slssls Posts: 51member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Well with the current G5 now posted on the Apple home page, it looks like more and more like later than sooner.

I mean why would you advertise a machine only to bump up the speed in a few weeks. That would only serve to piss buyers of the current model off.

Or perhaps they (apple) are trying to turn our eyes from the iPod mini to the PM just to create some wuz around it before a new release. If new models are released March 23rd, then people ordering the days before will get the possibility to change the order. If there is no release on Tuesday, then I don't know why they are spending time on marketing a year old computer...\
  • Reply 25 of 39
    The average as of 155 votes remains unchanged at August 18.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    It'll be September. What Steve really meant was 3.0GHz one year from when the G5's start shipping, not from when they are first announced... this is Apple we are talking about after all...
  • Reply 27 of 39
    March 31st I reckon...
  • Reply 28 of 39
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I'm thinking that new speed-bumped (970FX) G5s will be announced Tuesday, March 30 and that 3+ GHz water-cooled G5s will be out about 6 months later (October).

Here's something to think about: How big would a G5 be without 9 fans and two huge heat sinks? Maybe it could house 4 HD bays plus two optical bays like the previous generation G4 PM did. 8)
  • Reply 29 of 39
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

It'll be September. What Steve really meant was 3.0GHz one year from when the G5's start shipping, not from when they are first announced... this is Apple we are talking about after all...

Really? That's not what he said at WWDC last June.

Right from the mouth of Jobs at the WWDC Keynote...

Quote:

"Now what about the future? Well we're at 2 GHz today. IBM and Apple are today announcing that within twelve months, we'll be at 3 GHz. 3 GHZ processor clock. That's over 50%, within 12 months. And so, believe me...this architecture has legs."

• Reply 30 of 39
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Really? That's not what he said at WWDC last June.

You're leaving out that at the Paris expo he revised that statement to end of summer.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,461member
    Both statements are equivalent if you consider that when he made the first one they were "at" 2 GHz only in the sense that they had just announced a 2 GHz machine. That means they plan to announce a 3 GHz machine at this year's WWDC, and ship it by end of summer (September).
  • Reply 32 of 39
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

You're leaving out that at the Paris expo he revised that statement to end of summer.

Oh I didn't hear about that because I didn't watch the Paris Keynote. Boo.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    The average as of 210 votes points to August 15. Coincidentally, August 15, 1998, was when the original iMac first began shipping. It was introduced/announced in May of that year.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Oh I didn't hear about that because I didn't watch the Paris Keynote. Boo.

I wasn't aware of that either. Shoot. Wait till October for a dual 3.0???
  • Reply 35 of 39
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    There cannot be any intermediate speedbumps this late in the game, so the next announcement we'll get is at WWDC - 3GHz. It's a logical assumption, I trust.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I went to my nearest Apple outlet (in Bristol, UK) today, to look at G5's and ipods - because thats all I can do with them at the moment!

Anyway, there are these flourescent red stickers (Dots) on the price cards on some of the G5's and Cinema displays, I also notice green stickers on some other non-apple products. Obviously an indicator for store use. After a few minutes thought, i decided to ask the rep what the stickers meant.

FYI, the red stickers are on the G5 1.6, Dual 1.8's, all sizes of Cinema displays and also there is a £100 ($180) discount on the powerbook 12"

I won't spoil the fun.

{edit} - boy I didn't realise the iPod is sooooo small. First time I've seen it in person
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

I won't spoil the fun.

Oh,come on,you can spoil it a little bit.........................
  • Reply 38 of 39
    The latest promo hints that we might see 3GHz G5's at WWDC this year in late June. If that turns out to be true, then this poll indicates that most people here will be pleasantly suprised.

The average as of 240 points to August 14. If we dont see 3GHz G5's by the end of March, I'll start a new poll.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    Lets just see what the IBM Power event brings us tomorrow.