Just picked up a copy of the oregon trail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
At a classic book and game store, I picked up a new and not used copy of the oregon trail for 5 bucks. It hasnt even been opened yet! I also saw the passion of the christ on other topics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    hyperb0lehyperb0le Posts: 142member
    Man, I'd totally forgotten about that game. It got me through some tough days back in Elementary School
  • Reply 2 of 31
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    DO NOT OPEN IT!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 31
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Oregon Trail...the only thing I remember is

" F I R E "
  • Reply 4 of 31
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

DO NOT OPEN IT!!!!

I already did and its awesome(for a really old game)but i do plan to keep it in perfect condition and put everything back in its box when im done playing. It even has a ad advertising AOL 1.0 or something in there.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    I vaguely remember playing that game in elementary school on all of its Macintosh LCs/Performas. It was great to waste computer time with that game. Rest assured, I have fond memories of both the LCs/Performas (or whatever they were labeled as in our school) and that game.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    I have Oregon Trail II. BEST GAME EVER! the graphics are soooo sweet, for that time it has a 3d-ish environment. Instead of seeing your ox or watever moving, you just see the map with the red line progressing, but cool little movies fade in and out in spots.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Your wagon has a broken axle.

Jebediah has dysentery.

Jebediah has died of dysentery.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Your wagon has a broken axle.

Jebediah has dysentery.

Jebediah has died of dysentery.

Speaking of that text...

Didnt The Oregon Trail first come out on the Apple II? I seem to remember playing it on that before a Mac...

Man, that was a long time ago... Good times! Long live the Centrus 650 in all its 25 MHz glory
  • Reply 9 of 31
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    http://mac.the-underdogs.org/index.php?show=game&id=101

and yes, there was a version for the Apple II, 8 greys/colour or less IIRC.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    maybe I should send a copy of Oregon trail II to Macintosh Garden so that everyone can enjoy it? Its very fun more realistic compared to Oregon trail I by far The horror music is a bit scary though.

• Reply 11 of 31
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

maybe I should send a copy of Oregon trail II to Macintosh Garden so that everyone can enjoy it? Its very fun more realistic compared to Oregon trail I by far The horror music is a bit scary though.

Do it!!! I would love to play this game again! I know I still have it somewhere, but I can't find it

So I'll keep looking, but you really need to send that game into Mac Garden!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Update...

In my search for Oregon trail II, I found:

Oregon Trail III

Mac OS 8 install CD

Mac OS 7 instal CD

Mac OS 6 install

Performa Software Restore CD

Mac OS X.0 install CD

Doom

Doom II

After Dark

Sim City (the original, on floppies)

And a bunch of old crap that I didn't know I had anymore. The only problem...no Oregon Trail I or II.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    <<Didnt The Oregon Trail first come out on the Apple II? I seem to remember playing it on that before a Mac..>>

Yes. It was originally developed for the Apple II platform by MECC, which was, I believe, the Minnesota Educational Computer Consortium or something very similar. School districts could get a district wide site license for all MECC software. When our district adopted computers in 1983, Apple II clone Franklin computers, Oregon Trail was easily the most popular of the MESS software. Most of the rest of MECC software was drill-and-practice stuff.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Super Munchers was better than Oregon Trail. Troggle!!!
  • Reply 15 of 31
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BlueRabbit

WOAH! I totally remeber playing these back in elementary school! Those and montozumas revenge...
  • Reply 16 of 31
    awww. I can't sent it in. the file is 16 mb in size. it also requires that you put your cd in before allowing you to play...
  • Reply 17 of 31
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BlueRabbit

Dunno about Super Munchers, but I did play Word Munchers...

And what was that game with the frogs jumping on the lily pads? Anybody remember that?

And of course the original Lemonade Stand that came on Apple's own Apple II demo disks.

EDIT: Found it... The Pond
  • Reply 18 of 31
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I was awesome pwn at the buffalo hunting. I single handedly got my team(class was divided into 6 teams of 3-4) more food than we could ever need. We had so much we traded it all the time in large quantities, almost like cheating.

I also played Amazon trail, which was very neat too, but it was a little weird at times. There were some neat historical references, and I liked how it never really ended until you found all the species in your book.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

awww. I can't sent it in. the file is 16 mb in size. it also requires that you put your cd in before allowing you to play...

Create a compressed disk image, that should take care of the CD requirement as well. Come on, put a little effort in, I want to play this game.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    how do you do that?