is Applecare worth it? + other questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm a student, and I'm thinking of either PB 12 inch or ibook G4 800. (I'll be a switcher, although I've been using a 1.25 Ghz G4 at work for a year)

At the campus computer store, applecare is on sale for PB and is $99. For ibook, it is not on sale, and is $183.

12 inch PB 1349 + 99 Applecare=$1450

12 inch ibook 999 + 183 Applecare = 1283

Or I can get refurbished for 1000-1200 from apple.com, but applecare is $350.

I'm leaning towards the PB, I like the sure-fire clamshell, and DVI, among other things. (don't feel like messing with OF hack)

Also, my AMEX CC doubles manufacturers warranty for up to an extra year. Also allows me to make returns for 90 days (in case by some miracle G5 PB comes out)

Questions

1. Is Applecare worth it?

2. Do people often run into major problems after 1 year?

3. Have people had good experiences with Apple service?

4. What components have historically failed in PBs, and what are their replacement costs?

Accidental damage, perhaps the most likely problem within 2-3 years, would not even be covered.

Thanks for your responses. I'm excited to make the jump.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    applecare is not worth it IMO

i dont think people have problems after a year, minus the whole logic board problems with ibooks that apple took care of.

apple service is generally very good.

displays have historically been an issue with pbo's, but apple will fix anything thats wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I've got to disagree. When dealing with laptops it is a very good idea to get APP. The parts are entirely integrated and miniaturized and are much more likely to fail. You don't want to be stuck with a $800 repair bill if you logic board or screen dies after 25 months.

Didn't I read here a while ago that IBM expects that 11% of their laptops fail each year and that 33% would fail in three years?

Edit: I knew I read that. This old thread contains this nugget of wisdom:

Quote:

The industry is averaging, for good notebooks, a failure rate of 1 percent per month,"-- or a 36 percent in a three-year period, said Formichelli, who helped develop IBM's (IBM: news, chart, profile) Think Pad. "If you get under that, you're stretching the laws of physics, yet that's so much better than five years ago in the notebook business, when we were at 4 percent a month.

• Reply 3 of 14
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I had AppleCare on my Pismo, and even though I had some frustrating experiences, Apple eventually replaced my PowerBook G3 with a new PowerBook G4. So yes, where I would have had a totally broken PowerBook G3 without AppleCare, I got a brand new, top of the line PowerBook G4 because I *did* have AppleCare.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i would recommend applecare on any powerbook. they are, by nature, more prone to damage than a machine that never moves off your desk. with something like a desktop/tower, any oddities should come out within a year of heavy use, which is covered under warranty.

it sounds stupid, but our pismo lost its logic board FOUR WEEKS before the three years were up, and my wife desperately needed it running. logic board replaced for free with free shipping in under 48 hours.

i'd call it a bargain, personally. it's just like insurance. you hope you never have to use it...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

applecare is not worth it IMO

i dont think people have problems after a year, minus the whole logic board problems with ibooks that apple took care of.

apple service is generally very good.

displays have historically been an issue with pbo's, but apple will fix anything thats wrong.

Dude, you're crazy and ill informed. Apple has 1 year standard warranties and the extra applecare is for another 2 years. Your logic holds for the standard applecare, but that's included, so that's not what he's asking.

Are you sure applecare for the powerbook is $99? For that price it's DEFINITELY worth it. I would never, ever be without a warranty on a laptop I own. If you have to replace your AC adapter once, the applecare has paid for itself. Definitely get it.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    My rules: Applecare yes on any portable. We've had six portables over the years, and four of the six have had some issue after a year that Apple fixed immediately in two days without a hitch. The other two are a year or less old.

Applecare yes on desktops that are institutional purchases. Not my money, and admins pretty much want the extra security.

Applecare probably on home desktops. Cheaper than portables, and might come in handy. Out of two desktops in my family, one has needed the Applecare.

HTH
  • Reply 7 of 14
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    you all bring up a good point. i dont own a portable, so i'm thinking in terms of desktops. get applecare.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    laptop+applecare = good idea

they just age quicker, save my but a couple of times with my old ibook
  • Reply 9 of 14
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I don't know about Applecare in particular, but it's a form of insurance, and that lets you deduce some things.

Generally, a company will not sell anything, including insurance, at a loss. They expect to make money off it.

That means if the loss of the computer would not totally break your bank (you can afford the risk), you'd probably be best off "being your own insurance company" and keeping that premium yourself.

There are occasions when you would be better off having insurance. Are you more careless than the next guy? Is the environment of use especially rough?

It is possible that Applecare would be a good deal both for you and Apple, because there is a discrepancy between repair costs when you have them done and when Apple has them done.

It is also possible Apple does not make profit on Applecare and choose to make their profits elsewhere, which would potentially make Applecare a good deal.

Note that if hardware failure occurs at 35 months from the purchase,

1) the hardware has devaluated a lot - it's not the same shiny new computer

2) had you not bought Applecare but received interest for the cash, you could have about 130% of the full Applecare price to fix the computer or to use on something else
  • Reply 10 of 14
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Another interesting consumer protection thats sometimes overlooked... some credit cards (usually gold cards and higher) will automatically extend your warranty past the manufacturers provided you register the product (with your credit institution) and save the receipt showing you paid the full amount with the card.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Another interesting consumer protection thats sometimes overlooked... some credit cards (usually gold cards and higher) will automatically extend your warranty past the manufacturers provided you register the product (with your credit institution) and save the receipt showing you paid the full amount with the card.

True, but can you walk into an Apple Store with your AC adapter in hand and tell them it doesn't work if you don't have AppleCare? I realize the costs could outweigh the benefits, but don't underestimate:

1) the peace of mind you have if you have a problem. There's nothing more frustrating that having to spend a couple hundred bucks to fix a wonky trackpad. And there's nothing more reassuring than knowing if you do have a wonky trackpad, it'll get fixed.

2) The added resale value. For older laptops, the difference in price AppleCare will fetch more than pays for itself.

All in all, it's definitely worth it. Especially if that $99 price is correct.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Consumer Reports, which is dead set against extended warrenties, recommend that you do get an extended warrenty for a laptop. Laptops are one of only two producst for which they make that recommendation. And if Applecare is really only $99, go for it.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    AppleCare is very worthwhile.

Though I did talk to a guy today that employed every trumped-up excuse and ridiculous suggestion to get me off the phone for a solid 15 minutes, and that kind of pissed me off.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Didn't I read here a while ago that IBM expects that 11% of their laptops fail each year and that 33% would fail in three years?:

We're Talking about the G4's. Motorolla makes them. I would get get Apple care especially at that awsome price. I would also get the Powerbook. Also HOM the apple care program expires in three years.As soon as the prtoection plan goes. So will the notebook by what your saying.