DOOM III

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone tested Doom III latest builds on anything MAC(Mac)!? Is there one that exists? and will it be shown at MacWorld this summer on the hardware that will be out at that time?

My guess is that, being a pretty detailed question, not many will be able to give a full idea. Any ideas or thoughts are welcome.

-walloo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Tested Doom III on a Media Access Control? No, I didn't even know that was possible.

For future reference, never EVER capatilise Mac if you are talking about a Macintosh. MAC means Media Access Control. Mac means Macintosh (the computer).

But no, I have not tested it, I'm not a gamer, I just felt like making you feel stupid, I hope I have succeeded in my mission, haha.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I just felt like making you feel stupid, I hope I have succeeded in my mission, haha.

• Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Tested Doom III on a Media Access Control? No, I didn't even know that was possible.

For future reference, never EVER capatilise Mac if you are talking about a Macintosh. MAC means Media Access Control. Mac means Macintosh (the computer).

But no, I have not tested it, I'm not a gamer, I just felt like making you feel stupid, I hope I have succeeded in my mission, haha.

Thanks for the input, MAC can also mean it like your screaming the word MAC.

If you would like more info on the acronym MAC, and all of it's respected words, just try telling me why my MAC isn't MACing the MAC and heat up a good bowl of MAC, because it's the cheesiest.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...=MAC&Find=Find

There's just no way to get around the confusion. Except when looking at the context that I have used it in. This is what separates computers from humans right now. Based on context, there is no way I was talking about a Media Access Control. I can understand your grounds for argument, as acronyms are sometimes ubiquitous and synonomous with everyday words. But to argue for the fact that one word only means one definition...completely disagree.

Sometimes, I find people are pretty ignorant about what they see as true. My boss, one day, had seen that I wrote the words "phone call" in a place where you were only supposed to write "house call" or "pickup." Apparently my boss had thought i wrote "phone call," and didn't even think twice about making that make any sense. In the end, he had read it wrong.

Sometimes you greatly have to base what you are reading out of the context in which someone is speaking.

For instance if a foreigner is talking about getting in their "dog" and riding around town, you would largely assume that they don't hack up their dog to go to a grocery store. But they have missplaced one word for another.

>>I see this happening 10 fold in forums than real life, this being a very minute case in point.

thanks for reading a little bit,

-walloo.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    It's really not that big of a deal to me, but I wanted to let you know for the future, because some people will beat you to death for little slip ups like that. Believe me, I was nice about it. My post was full of and guys. Their posts would have been full of and guys, as well as the text being huge, in all caps, and bright red letters.

But back OT...sorry to kill your thread like that.

I would love to try Doom III, I've seen some screen shots of it, and, WOW! It looks like an awesome game! But like I said, I'm not much of a gamer, I think the newest game I own is Doom II

I'm sure I would be more into gaming, but I spend too much money on video and audio equipment and software (FCP and Soundtrack have some pretty hefty price tags!) And my trusty ol' Cube and Sawtooth can't handle the newest stuff.

But look at the screenshots of this game, wow:

If this game is even half as sweet as Doom II, I'm sold when I get some new hardware! I would love to see the FPS rate on my 16mb of VRAM... does it go below 1?

Edit: Forgot some words.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Actually, "MAC" is a recursive acronym for the "MAC Always Capitalized" internet phenomenon.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Actually, "MAC" is a recursive acronym for the "MAC Always Capitalized" internet phenomenon.

In any case seeing "MAC" being used to spell the name of the computer system we all know and (mostly) love isn't quite as painful as seeing it spelled "McIntosh" (an audio amp, etc designer IIRC) but that's just me... All the same seeing "MAC" does grind on me too... It grinds on me In much the same way seeing Imac or Ipod does. (like fingernails on the blackboard ... shiver)

...Also, for anyone who might have read this far into my early morning ramble ... Just because someone adds the words 'Future Hardware' into the subject line doesn't mean it really belongs in 'Future Hardware'...

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I like WINE or GNU myself.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I imagine it runs well on a G5.

Off to Software we go.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

It's really not that big of a deal to me, but I wanted to let you know for the future, because some people will beat you to death for little slip ups like that. Believe me, I was nice about it. My post was full of and guys. Their posts would have been full of and guys, as well as the text being huge, in all caps, and bright red letters.

But back OT...sorry to kill your thread like that.

If this game is even half as sweet as Doom II, I'm sold when I get some new hardware! I would love to see the FPS rate on my 16mb of VRAM... does it go below 1?

(some snips by willywalloo occured)

DMBand0026,

Though, you still brought up an interesting point, I think you handled your thoughts really well; the other people you talk of are pretty anal about these kinds of words. My words were more for people of that sort, and not to you. They seriously can't look at the context. If I had not made the context clear, then a little flame could be justified; I would then have to correct. Mac, MAC, Big Mac, and more MAC's. That sentence would be pretty irritating to understand. Those people though do need to understand that getting mad is probably only going to propagate a fight, instead of any real outcome. Flames are worse than probably anything else...usually I find the person has something else going on in their life that's making them mad--why not take it out on someone else?, (and they themselves really need to be slapped around; knocked back into reality)

But, Doom III....that's been on extreme hold for a while now. When was the last showing on Mac? (almost did it again...!!!) Wow, it would be cool if they could put something out that we could run to see what our computers would do under that code base. I'd agree with 'admin man' that the G5 could take it, but what about everything else?

-walloo.

p.s. like one ATi 128 16MBVRAM card? (man that chipset lasted for waaaay too long didn't it? G3 B/W to some G4's, what, 2 years or something?)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

DMBand0026,

I'd agree with 'admin man' that the G5 could take it, but what about everything else?

Who cares about everyone else?