Odd iLife Install Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Folks,

I have an old PowerBook G4 550 MHz with a busted internal DVD-ROM. The busted drive so far has not been an issue since I have a old leftover external FireWire PlexWriter (cd burner) that I just plug in when I need to read in data from a CD or burn a CD. The Mac is running 10.3.3. Yesterday I bought a copy of iLife for this computer.

Trouble is, iLife wants me to use the DVD for the install because the operating system can still see the internal DVD. If I try to install iLife from the regular old CD on the external drive the installer quits with an error telling me to install from the DVD. The external drive can't read DVDs.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

-Gator

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    borrow an external dvd drive that works.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Remove your internal optical drive and replace it with the CD-RW drive that is in your FW enclosure. Either that or just replace the internal optical drive. Or, the easiest option yet, just yank out the internal optical drive, install from the FW drive, than put the internal drive back in.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    If you wanna have fun, take the internal drive out. I believe you have to take it out to unplug it. The drive connects to a ribbon that both powers it as well as provides data lines. IF the drive remains in there, the ribbon has to be out of place, which risks damage to it.

You really should though consider replacing it.

But that's$$$.

-walloo.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

borrow an external dvd drive that works.

Or, borrow a mac with a DVD drive and make a disc image and FW it to your PB.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Making a disk image worked - Thanks!

-Gator