Apple hits a home run

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ive just ordered an eMac, refurbished, for $529.

This is the machine that Apple should be selling new, to anyone who wants it. What is missing?

No modem.

CDROM only.

Ill be getting more RAM for it, and popping in my spare 80gig HD. Overclocking to 1.33, and in the future picking up a DVD burner for it. When I get tired eyes Ill buy an LCD monitor for it, and using the spanning hack to run both at once.

The only disappointment I have is the lack of USB 2.

There is super hackability between the mini pci slot, and the spare internal USB port ( bluetooth maybe

This machine is a great deal. I have no doubt Apple are making a profit on it, they should just have a real option at 499. This machine is proof that it can be done.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    how do u over clock it? what are the cons to doing that?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

how do u over clock it? what are the cons to doing that?

voids your warranty, can fry your computer.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    modify jumpers on the motherboard ( requires soldering ). Its not hard. Have a look at the emac article on slashdot for a link to details.

Voids warranty.

You could screw it up and break your machine.

Pro is getting upto 1.4ghz
  • Reply 4 of 12
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Is the miniPCI slot the Airport one ?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I dont suppose you would be so kind as to photograph some of your hacks and post them here would you (when there done of course).

It might be worth grabbing one...

Is it possible to completely remove it from its enclosure and put it in something like a micro ATX case ?

I like the specs but I just dont want that CRT monitor. I would easily pay $529 for a headless emac...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I would be willing to post them at www.willywalloo.com

pm me if so. email should be there too. if they are good hacks, that would be an interesting section to start up. we are a non-profit organization, and we really don't make any money, but try to get info out to the mac family in any way possible.

aaah, hacking.

-walloo.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    From what I understand overclocking a G4 or G5 is extremely difficult and shouldn't really be attempted by anyone unless they really know what they are doing. You have to deal with overclocking the buses and other stuff like memory bandwidth...be careful in there, make sure it's worth trying before you start soldering your MoBo.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    For $529 that's more than a steal. . . . It has me thinking about buying some for the office in order to assimiliate some of the windows users there.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Ive just ordered an eMac, refurbished, for $529.

This is the machine that Apple should be selling new, to anyone who wants it. What is missing?

No modem.

CDROM only.

Ill be getting more RAM for it, and popping in my spare 80gig HD. Overclocking to 1.33, and in the future picking up a DVD burner for it. When I get tired eyes Ill buy an LCD monitor for it, and using the spanning hack to run both at once.

The only disappointment I have is the lack of USB 2.

There is super hackability between the mini pci slot, and the spare internal USB port ( bluetooth maybe

This machine is a great deal. I have no doubt Apple are making a profit on it, they should just have a real option at 499. This machine is proof that it can be done.

¿whats teh cost of all teh extras on it bring teh total to?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    The extras arent done. The point is that I can add and choose that stuff as I need to. Not up front like Apple wants you to.

I found a mini pci tv in card for 225. www.bwi.com

That will be interesting.

[EDIT]

Aparently the AE slot isnt _physically_ compatible with mini-pci. Ill have to find another way to hook my gamecube upto my eMac.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    I just wanna say that's an absurdly good deal on what sounds like a fine computer. Hopefully your hack worked OK? I was seriously looking into the eMac before I succumbed to peer pressure (don't be offended by the following).

"The eMac is ugly. Ugly. Big and ugly. It'll look wrong on your desk because it's so big and ugly. Look at this iBook. That small iBook is nice. How light, how lovely the screen is."
  • Reply 12 of 12
    It arrived a few days ago. Im very happy with the deal I got. Apple even gave me free 2 day shipping Unfortunately they forget to include the panther an ilife cd's, so Im still waiting for those.

However, my speakers are not the very cool looking chromed ones. They have been replaced with white paper coned speakers. Oh well.