• Reply 21 of 31
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Furtheron, 1024x768 is perfect for me.

Ahh i remeber when i thought 800*600 was good for me
  • Reply 22 of 31
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    1024x768 is too small for a lot of serious work.

It is fine for casual use, office, web, email etc.

I get plenty of milage out of my ibook and imac with 1024x768.

But I hate using them for programming.

The key is, when you are doing serious work you are normally at a desk, and can attach an external monitor.

My first mac ran at 640x480, and I had no problems using Think C on that, nor any other fantastic and complex tools. Interface design would certainly be precise if developers considered 640x480 a valid screen res. At least you can still use a Mac at 640x480, Windows is unusable, with dialoges ( the Display settings that are bigger than 640x480 and not resizable.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

Ahh i remeber when i thought 800*600 was good for me

Nah, it's all about 640*480.

I once got my iMac DV stuck in that resolution in OS X. It wasn't pretty.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

So you are saying that if the Powerbook G4 12" had a higher resolution, then more people would buy it because they could work for 12 hours a day on it?

Yes.

Quote:

I don't know about your particular work environment, but I use a Powerbook G4 12" daily for web-design, Indesign, and a little Photoshop. When I'm using it at work the screen size doesn't limit me because I have a external VGA Dell monitor I use along with a nice external keyboard and mouse. This gives me a large work space and accurate color reproduction, the latter being a necessity for me to make a living with my PB. When I work at home I just keep one app open and do minor tweaks. If I'm doing anything major, I just plug it into one of the spare monitors I have laying around.

In short, if you are serious about making a living with your mac, screen resolution is a null point because it is so simple to overcome this. Now if you happen to work in the pro-audio area you really need to step up to the 15 inch PB anyway.

Read my original statement again: I defy anyone who makes their livelihood from their Mac to defend the exclusive use of a 1024 workspace.

If your Powerbook requires you to use an external display to get any professional work done, then it ain't much use as a pro portable, is it?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Widescreen notebooks. Not if I have to use a crappy joystick as a mouse.

Barto
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Widescreen notebooks. Not if I have to use a crappy joystick as a mouse.

Barto

oh, come on.. Apple can come up with something better than that.. turn the space bar into a track pad?

barring that brilliant solution, i think a 13" widescreen, at 1280x800, would be perfect.. the extra inch should add enough room to keep a workable size track pad.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Screen resolution on the 12 inch is fine, however the speed, weight and battery life have a lot to be desired. Thing feels like a brick in my backpack, battery is no where near the claimed 5 hours (2.5 at best) and OSX is still poky on a G4.

Gimme:

3 lbs -DVD/CDRW

1.5+ G4

Longer Battery (not that fuel cell crap)

Something on the same lines as my new IBM x40 would be suffice just running OSX and not NetBSD or eComStation
  • Reply 28 of 31
    sorhedsorhed Posts: 38member
    It's not the machine, its the user.

No, my 12" screen isnt big enough to conveniently do design work: but it suffices just fine when I'm on the go.

of course, no serious design pro would be satisfied with any LCD monitor on the market anyways, Apple's included.

A G4 tower, running OS9, Quark 4, and a big ol' calibrated LaCie 22" CRT is the ultimate design machine....
  • Reply 29 of 31
    No friggin' way; sorry, you're just wack. InDesign rules the roost on OS X. screw OS 9!

Goodbye, 90s!

Seriously, Illustrator and PSD integration is so tight and brilliant.

And yeah, definitely 1024 merely *suffices*, but just so, on the road. Use a desktop if you're serious about work. The intern had it about right.

US$.02

Quote:

Originally posted by sorhed

It's not the machine, its the user.

A G4 tower, running OS9, Quark 4, and a big ol' calibrated LaCie 22" CRT is the ultimate design machine....

• Reply 30 of 31
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Why don't they put in OLED's. They are cheaper to produce, lighter, thinner. (Not quite the same lifespan tho).

This would be ideal for a 25cm (10") display.

Dobby.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    OLED's are only good if you plan to throw it away in 2 years. not ready for primetime in a notebook yet.