A Powerbook mini G5 ( Pic and Specs mockup)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Enjoy !

:-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Why PB Mini G5? Would there be a PB Maxi G5 (with more VRAM for example?) Interesting (icky) speaker placement. Nice 'shopping tho.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Is that a membrane keyboard?

And where are the colors? If it's a PB mini, you've gotta follow through.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Why PB Mini G5? Would there be a PB Maxi G5 (with more VRAM for example?) Interesting (icky) speaker placement. Nice 'shopping tho.

Yes, there will...! :-) Working on it. I want to make it really special.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Is that a membrane keyboard?

And where are the colors? If it's a PB mini, you've gotta follow through.

Maybe not ! ;-)

I really like the black LCD cover. Maybe I will experiment with gold, pink, blue and green.. :-)
  • Reply 5 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    This is a great idea - with the screen size placing limits on the horizontal and vertical dimensions, the trick is to make it super-thin! With the teensy litle 50 GB hard drives in the iPods, and the G5 chip being so tiny, maybe the only thing that is holding back a paper-thin G5 PB is the optical drive. If there is a wider-but-thinner one on the horizon, Apple could have a revolutionary product - a laptop that was the thickness and weight of one of those clipboard-type organizers.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Heat issues.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think it would be cool if there was a tiny little laptop released, bearing the "mini" name and indeed available in the colors.

Not a G5, not a G4. Not a PowerBook or iBook. But a wireless surfing/e-mail/address/contacts/iCal/TextEdit thing with 1 FireWire, 1 USB 2.0, AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth. But because it has a little keyboard (or handwriting area), you can actually enter data on the spot (and use iSync to get it back to your Mac or whatever).

Use it for all the above, plus iPod-like music listening functionality.

Little screen, folds up like a large make-up compact case. In the 5 iPod mini colors.

Is there a market out there - either current Mac owners or people simply only needing e-mail, contacts, PDF reading capability, calendar, etc. - who want something like this? If it had Sherlock on it, you could be sitting in a coffee shop - connected wirelessly - and use Sherlock to check local movie schedules or get a location for the nearest Chili's.

No, I don't know how it could be done, or if it even should. I'm just saying I'D dig seeing one.

I work at a rare coin and currency magazine, and this morning I was doing some work with a krugerrand set and the size of the case it came in just struck me as kinda cute and manageable, then I started thinking "damn, I could almost type or write on this area where the coins are...".

Pic of box that got me thinking....

Folds up to size of a paperback novel, maybe a bit smaller...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I would welcome the pb mini. But it will never happen. The heat issues is probably the biggest issue with the G5 right now on the Pbook. Also I don't think they can cram in the G5 processor, the cd drive, the speakers, keyboard, and battery in the 12 inch and the 15 inch Pbooks. They're to narrow. The heat would melt the matierial. Wouldn't it be neat if apple comes out with a 20" pbook.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    A 10GB harddrive, 32MB of RAM and 8MB of VRAM aren't really cutting edge, don't you think?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

The heat would melt the matierial.

Here we are again in this thread like the other...

All together now: "Processors cannot melt aluminum"

• Reply 11 of 15
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    There is one major flaw with that design. The speaker placement. you don't want speakers where you place your hands, muffles the sound. Even the speaker placement on the current books can lead to some sound muffling when your hands are resting in certain areas.

other than that, it's a fairly logical next step, thinner, lighter...etc. even the specs aren't too out of line, it's just not for today. 5 years from now? maybe.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Here we are again in this thread like the other...

All together now: "Processors cannot melt aluminum"

yeah, this is true, I think, if anything that the display would be more meltable, particularly at these temperatures.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by nsousansousa

[B]Enjoy !

:-)

• Reply 14 of 15
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    I sure hope we see powerMAC Mini's before PowerBOOK mini's. The 15" powerbook is the perfect size as it is.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Right a foldable screen