Filemaker 7 (Next)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Store is closed too:

http://store.filemaker.com/

"Store is Temporarily Closed

The FileMaker Store is currently closed until 6:00 am PDT, March 9, 2004. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Juicy, junior....reallll juicy.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Product info is on Apple Store NOW 7:44AM EST (sans box shot):

Filemaker 7

No new info AFAICT

Update:

Filemaker 7 Fact Sheet PDF
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Product info is on Apple Store NOW 7:44AM EST (sans box shot):

Filemaker 7

No new info AFAICT

Update:

Filemaker 7 Fact Sheet PDF

(Sorry if any of this is terribly old news)
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Just downloaded the trial......hmm.....looks VERY interesting
  • Reply 25 of 36
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    What is the importance factor to OS X that this App is available now?
  • Reply 26 of 36
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

What is the importance factor to OS X that this App is available now?

Businesses everywhere are drooling. FileMaker can now do all those crucial vertical-market applications, scale up, serve up intranet (and internet!) web pages, manage all different kinds of content, and turn any moderately technical person into a good enough database admin. It's still easy enough to use for small shops, but it scales up to tasks that used to require "real" databases like Oracle and Sybase.

It allows professional developers to easily create applications built on Filemaker databases and distribute them royalty-free (i.e., without paying FileMaker for every copy they sell or press). This has always been a feature of FileMaker, granted, but with a relational database underneath those applications can be much more flexible and powerful. With the substantially upgraded security, they can be more useful for large projects, and web-based applications.

And it does it all for Mac and Windows, transparently. This is absolutely huge for the SMB, education and enterprise markets. Huge. The price is right, and there's a significant installed base of FileMaker users who would be keenly interested in trading much more expensive back-end databases and servers and scaling FM up.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    FMP 7 can authenticate to a PC PDC or even OS X'x Open Directory. This is very cool in places like my work, where there is 200 users, 100 databases, and lots of passwords,users,groups. Chaos.

FMP 7 also improved its container field which ROCKS.

The sample databases are pretty cool.

Can I take older FMP 6 files (mutiple files which are related) and "merge" them into a single FMP 7 file? I would love to "tidy up" my databases, and having the ability to build multiple tables in a single file (finally) is great. That is, if its backwards-compatible. FMP has been good in the past about updating their older files into newer apps. But 7.0 is sort of a paradigm shift for FMP. Who knows...

It seems to lauch a lot slower than 6.0 :0(

Overall I am very pleased thus far.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    If anyone is waiting for the email with the link to the demo, check your Mail Junk folder.

Sad that Mail thinks Filemaker emails are junk!
  • Reply 29 of 36
    It really sucks that it doesn't do JDBC and ODBC on OS X. I'll have to keep either OpenBase or FrontBase around to do that. I wonder why they chose not to allow those connections on OS X...
  • Reply 30 of 36
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    My email didn't go to the Junk folder.

2GB Limit per field.

4GB limit per container field.

Who'd they build this thing for...Homeland Security?
  • Reply 31 of 36
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Can I take older FMP 6 files (mutiple files which are related) and "merge" them into a single FMP 7 file? I would love to "tidy up" my databases, and having the ability to build multiple tables in a single file (finally) is great. That is, if its backwards-compatible. FMP has been good in the past about updating their older files into newer apps. But 7.0 is sort of a paradigm shift for FMP. Who knows...

As far as I know, it's possible, but difficult. My dad told me that it took him days to merge a small 7-file FMP 6 database into a single FMP 7 database. His company's database is either about 100 or about 200 files (don't remember which) so they'd have to do a complete rewrite if they want to move to FMP 7 (which they won't do, because there are both more expensive AND much worse solutions out there, so staying with FileMaker is out of the question ).
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

(which they won't do, because there are both more expensive AND much worse solutions out there, so staying with FileMaker is out of the question ).

http://www.postgresql.org/
  • Reply 33 of 36
    I've always wanted the web publishing to be better. Basically, I wanted the database to show up in a browser exactly as it does in the ap.

Did they accomplish that?
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Can anyone confirm if v.7 honors dock placement?
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Some updates:

FIlemaker 6 opens with one "bounce" in the Dock for me. Filemaker 7 trial takes (no kidding) 14 bounces to open. Can anyone confirm this is just for the trial version?

Some are complaining that FM 7 removes the Web Publishing feature from the regular version. Never used it, so I don't know if it was that useful without the Server version.

Others are complaining that the Outline and Shadow text features are now gone. While Filemaker's text features have always been amateurish, I'm surprised since Panther has such advanced type features built-in.

I understand the need to keep the Mac and Windows version in-sync, but it's unlike Steve to compromise a Mac application to keep a Windows version compatible. Couldn't they have sweetened the Mac version a bit, tempting firms to crossover?
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Nobody can verify the launching speed problem? Filemaker must be slipping in its popularity...

Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Frank777: there is really no way Apple could build in address-book syncing without forcing you to use a specific layout/field definitions for your data (not a good idea).

The DayLite CRM uses an OpenBase server, and includes a "sync with Address Book" feature. So it must be doable.

Couldn't the program just have special field name definitions for the dozen or so fields that would be synced to the Address Book? For example, you'd define your contact's first name as FirstName.ABSync or something like that?

Seems to be that would be trivial to implement. Then again, I'm not a programmer.