Is Intel hinting at future G5's...Wild speculation inside

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

WTF? Are you on crack?

No, I am not a crack. But ask your self this. How long should it remain?

5 years? 10 years? 2-3 years? At what point does it become a hinderance to further OS development?

Oh yes, do be honest with yourself.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

5 years? 10 years? 2-3 years? At what point does it become a hinderance to further OS development?

Oh yes, do be honest with yourself.

It's not a hindrance at all.

Do you know of any software which is being developed just of 9?

If there is, it's not very many.

It's not hurting any customers, and it's not hurting apple.

If the classic environment was still around in 10 years, big whoop.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod:

Concord -> oh yes, they MUST have some kind of emulation layer - can you hear the storm from the hords of people that will want to stone MS/Intel for not providing an emulation layer for x86? It is a CERTAINTY!

What I meant was I don't see them producing a "Classic" mode like OS: X where you essentially have to load a second OS to run older software. I'm sure some older software won't work, but I suspect most will run - they're even going to allow DOS programs to run in Longhorn apparantly.

Quote:

While I am optimistic that IBM will be able to keep ramping up the speed of their processors, I have find these discussions disturbingly reminiscent of what was said at the time the original powerpc processors where coming out.

You too... \ But I'm holding Apple to their promise of 3 Ghz before the end of Summer!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan:

I have to agree with Flounder on this... what hindrance? I don't see Classic going away anytime soon, too many shops still depend on it. Hell, most of the ad industry in BC still run 9.x!!
  • Reply 24 of 35
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

they're even going to allow DOS programs to run in Longhorn apparantly.

Oh dear Lord! I suppose some people still use it.....

Quote:

I have to agree with Flounder on this... what hindrance? I don't see Classic going away anytime soon, too many shops still depend on it. Hell, most of the ad industry in BC still run 9.x!!

Agreed. Classic is here, it pretty much does not need a great deal of developer time, so why trash it. Only 40 or 50% of Mac users have upgraded to OS X so the conversion isn't complete, although Steve likes to say the "transition is complete".

I don't think I've used Classic for a year or so, but always nice to know that an app will work if you need it. No sense trashing it at this point in time. Five years or so, maybe, if it becomes a hinderance to OS XI or something....
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

That is why I ask the question...
  • Reply 26 of 35
    If MS wants to move to PPC, they pretty much got their bases covered. Longhorn apps will be written for the .NET/CLR virtual machine. Those apps will run on anything that MS ports their VM/OS to. MS also OWNS Vitual PC, which will take care of backwards compatibility.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    I hope there will alway be some sort of classic support for at least 10 years
  • Reply 28 of 35
    scavangerscavanger Posts: 286member
    Thats the same thing I said about my DOS games... until I realized I don't play them at all anymore.. I just got rid of all of them. Legacy support can be gay sometimes. I'd hope longhorn would kill legacy support for ME and down.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

I hope there will alway be some sort of classic support for at least 10 years

If you buy a dual boot G4 today, odds are you will still be able to use it 10 years from now.

But why should new systems have to support even classic mode?

Let classic die, please!

Let technology evolve let the past go.

• Reply 30 of 35
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

But why should new systems have to support even classic mode?

Let technology evolve let the past go

Some people do have stuff that only runs in classic and not with just os x.(some old games!) If apple decides to not include classic with new systems there should still be on option of downloading it or something. what are the statistics of os x users like 40 or 50 percent of the apple users? \

Part of letting technology evolve is by making a bridge between new ones
  • Reply 31 of 35
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    it seems like hypocrisy that apple users are using WAY outdated technology. forget os 9.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    The topic does say wild speculation... I was going to wait until the IBM event on the 31st for more clues but here it goes. I wonder if the "delay" in PM G5's is related to HyperTransport 2.0 and PCI Express. If Apple announced on June 28th and delivered sometime in July/August that would be the second half of 2004 that this eweek article mentions:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1515826,00.asp

With Ati expecting to release PCI Express boards Q2 2004, things line up well for a WWDC announcement. And just to keep on track with the topic we might even see speeds beyond 3 Ghz.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by xsmi

The topic does say wild speculation... I was going to wait until the IBM event on the 31st for more clues but here it goes. I wonder if the "delay" in PM G5's is related to HyperTransport 2.0 and PCI Express. If Apple announced on June 28th and delivered sometime in July/August that would be the second half of 2004 that this eweek article mentions:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1515826,00.asp

With Ati expecting to release PCI Express boards Q2 2004, things line up well for a WWDC announcement. And just to keep on track with the topic we might even see speeds beyond 3 Ghz.

You think a little like me, ATI, I believe, is going to have the U.S. release on 4/13/04 and on the 14th for world wide release. If PCI-E and HT2 appear in the next PM then the Xserve would be out of date and VT might have to upgrade again as soon as the new machines come out.

I try to track VT very close, and I am not hearing much out of them. I mean they did reduce their space by a third, I wonder if they are using more Xserves than G5s in an attempt to move up in the rankings to say number one.

As for faster than 3.0GHZ, how would 3.6, 3.4, 3.2 all dual rock your world.

How is that for wild speculation.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    Quote:

You think a little like me, ATI, I believe, is going to have the U.S. release on 4/13/04 and on the 14th for world wide release. If PCI-E and HT2 appear in the next PM then the Xserve would be out of date and VT might have to upgrade again as soon as the new machines come out.

I try to track VT very close, and I am not hearing much out of them. I mean they did reduce their space by a third, I wonder if they are using more Xserves than G5s in an attempt to move up in the rankings to say number one.

As for faster than 3.0GHZ, how would 3.6, 3.4, 3.2 all dual rock your world.

How is that for wild speculation.

On VT, haave they taken their shipment yet? ONly the single 2.0 GHz have shipped. They may have been given advanced notice of these developments and have planned yhem into their timeline. Or maybe HT2 is presents too much of a power drain for a 1U enclosure and they were told not to wait. This is of course all speculation and something that i would love to see happen. As far as speeds I was thinking more along the lines of topping out at 4.2 or 3x multiplier. I don't know if thats possible or feasable.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano:

Some people do have stuff that only runs in classic and not with just os x.(some old games!) If apple decides to not include classic with new systems there should still be on option of downloading it or something. what are the statistics of os x users like 40 or 50 percent of the apple users?

In addition, one of (if not *the*) Apple's major strongholds is in the advertising industry. Agencies big and small, Graphic Designers, Prepress shops, Printers... you'll need Classic for at least 10 years before you see everyone switiching over. The vast majority of them *still* use Quark 4 (at least in BC). You have to be able to handle files between those groups for a long time to come.

Going slightly OT (on-topic? ), I'm curious as to what the overclockability of the G5 is... How do you O/C a Mac? Cooling solutions?

Cheers,

C.