Apple/Sony: Add Playstation chips to Apple motherboard

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I agree that gaming is key for consumers.

So why doesn't Apple add Playstation chips to consumer systems?

Sony offers Playstation technology for OEMs wishing to add Playstation functionality to consumer electronics devices.

Being able to play all of Playstation's games on the Mac would be huge.

Isn't the G5 and the Playstation 3 processor made at the same IBM plant?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Eh. I can't see this happening, just from Sony/Apple track records. Kind of neat if it did.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

I agree that gaming is key for consumers.

Sony offers Playstation technology for OEMs wishing to add Playstation functionality to consumer electronics devices.

Being able to play all of Playstation's games on the Mac would be huge.

Isn't the G5 and the Playstation 3 processor made at the same IBM plant?

Yes, but Sony wants Apple fans to still buy a PS3 from them. Still a cool idea though. Would you really though want your brother hogging your computer when you have to write a paper on it? I say leave gaming to the TV, where it's only (really) main purpose is entertainment.

heh, just what i think,

-walloo.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    there was a bunch of talk about this same type of thing happening with the GameCube when the rumors of the flat panel iMac were going around. i can't recall if i read these rumors on Mac sites or Gaming sites. either way.. as we all know, it never panned out.

i always thought it'd be a cheap and easy way to turn the Mac into a gaming machine. Back when the GameCube rumors were going, my main concern was mussing up an Apple computer with GameCube controller ports. Sure, there could've been a USB converter of some type, but it still wouldn't be neat and clean. However, now that we have Bluetooth input devices fully supported by OS X, it should be very easy to sell Bluetooth controllers specially designed to work with Macs. It's even quite possible that Playstation3, or NintendoNext, or XBox2, will come standard with wireless, probably Bluetooth, controllers.

Apple could make a deal with any of the next-gen console makers (although, preferably not Microsoft) as they will all be based on PowerPC architecture. It should just be a matter of adding a few, cheap, specialized chips to achieve compatibility with the consoles.

Apple definitely doesn't seem to be looking to improve the Mac-native gaming market. It would take much better graphics chips in the consumer machines; as well as some sort of incentive for developers to work for a much smaller market share. If they made a deal with Sony or Nintendo, neither would be necessary. I can't say if either Sony or Nintendo would be interested in such a deal, but I truly hope Apple is looking into it.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I believe the Game Cube rumors that Confirmed is talking about came up as a result of the chip being used in the Game Cube being a relative of the 970...either that or it was the same chip at a really slow clock speed. I don't quite remember. And now the XBox 2 is supposed to have a 970fx.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I believe the Game Cube rumors that Confirmed is talking about came up as a result of the chip being used in the Game Cube being a relative of the 970...either that or it was the same chip at a really slow clock speed. I don't quite remember. And now the XBox 2 is supposed to have a 970fx.

The GameCube uses a 485 MHz IBM PPC 750cx processor - it's the G3 that was used in later iBooks and iMacs. I didn't see any rumors about a GameCube being integrated into a Mac, but I can see how people came up with them - since those 500, 600 and 700 MHz iMacs used the 750cx, it might be possible to integrate GameCube hardware into them and just use the computer's built-in processor to do the work. It could store game data on the hard drive, read the mini CDs in the CD-ROM drive (provided it's a tray-loader), and possibly use some kind of hub to allow four controller connections without cluttering up the machine - just have one controller port on the back, and plug the hub in for multiplayer.

It would have been cool, but it's not going to happen. Still... the concept of putting all the hardware for a console inside a computer is an interesting one. I wish I were able to play my GameCube on my regular monitor instead of having to use a separate TV for it, but unfortunately I don't have the money to buy an AV input card.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

They will as soon as Quark releases XPress for PS3.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    There was such a computer not so long ago...

Amstrad Megadrive Computer

I got to play with it in the store (couldn't afford a computer back then) was definately neat and I thought that's where the future was headed...

Ive always thought that was a cool idea, but apparently not too many other people do.

And before you say it... its just as upgradable as any iMac !
  • Reply 8 of 16
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Because it would also be too much $$$$.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

There was such a computer not so long ago...

In computer terms that is like comparing man to Dino's
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Sony makes as good as no money of the game station. They have money for the games sold. If there is more devices that are compatible PS3 than they will be winners.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    A little off topic. When is PS3 going o come out in the U.S. Does anyone know ts final design?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    The word on the street is late 2005 at the earliest, but more likely 2006. Sony technical exhibition anticipated this coming June.

I think the real tie-in opportunity is if Apple was somehow able to implement Sony/IBM/Toshiba's Broadband Engine architecture as a general purpose CPU. I guess that would put a damper on the G5 roadmap, and all of its 64-bit possibilities... It's not impossible for a 2 chip arrangement to happen, I suppose. It would be like what they did for "G3 for consumers/G4 for professional use" type of thing. They could have "BE for consumer" and "G5 clusters for professional/scientific use". If that 1 TFLOP claim even ends up remotely close to reality, consumer Mac's would rule pretty heinously, imo.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

A little off topic. When is PS3 going o come out in the U.S. Does anyone know ts final design?

Right now SONY doesn't even know its final design
  • Reply 14 of 16
    johnjohn Posts: 99member
    Author/FormatC2: remove crack from diet
  • Reply 15 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I think I posted an idea about this maybe...1..2 years ago?

either way, my idea was less mobo specific, but more like, just drive specific, like, you have a tower, and have SONY sell a 'PS2' drive, that you put in your tower and then you can play PS2 games directly, and natively on your computer.

I mean, it's not that simple obviously, but I think that with some modification to how the game system is made, it could be feasible at least.

I think it would help apple's sales tremendously, people that were on the fence about getting a mac would probably be tipped over with that added incentive.

that said, I have sort of changed my mind on this type of all in one functionality. sure it sounds great, but in reality, if you have a brother, or someone that might want to use the game system while you want to use the computer...that just sucks if they are both in the same unit. \
  • Reply 16 of 16
    eupfhoriaeupfhoria Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

that said, I have sort of changed my mind on this type of all in one functionality. sure it sounds great, but in reality, if you have a brother, or someone that might want to use the game system while you want to use the computer...that just sucks if they are both in the same unit. \

what happens if your brother want's to use your mac to play Warcraft III? You kick him off. It wouldn't be THAT much different.