Somthing Big........new powerbooks???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
ok after my succesful attemp to completly discredit myself yesterday

ive decided to post a serious thread

due to the apple stores around europe being open again today and with so many powerbooks unsold the 1ghz 12 inch is still availible at a good price ( must have quite a few) so what do you think maybe that 27th or 30 th prediction is correct maybe just maybe we will have our updates

but i think it must be be big because

1 the length of time we have been waiting and

2 the g5 proccesor is only in the powermacs

so hopefully this is going to be massivve

what do you think is going on???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    While people have agreed that the Euro stores having all these models available means that there is massive inventory clearing going on, I dont think it means PowerBook G5's.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    plan-bplan-b Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

While people have agreed that the Euro stores having all these models available means that there is massive inventory clearing going on, I dont think it means PowerBook G5's.

all im think is why clear all you inventory just to replece with .....well what exactly old technology
  • Reply 3 of 21
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I'm not about to get my hopes up...if anything it'll be new Power Macs and iMacs. 'twould be very nice, but improbable right now.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Remember before the 15" alubook came out they cleared out all the tibooks... down to the bottom of the barrell... It took months. We thought the machines must be coming out any day now. Yet they weren't announced until November.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Actually, they were announced in September. At least, that's when I got mine.

on topic:

Is it not normal for European stores to have all models available?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    4/22/2004 is the next Apple shareholder's meeting (annual). Not at all sure how that factors in to new products if at all, but thought I'd give you the date anyway.

Clearly something must happen soon, meaning next week or week after. I doubt we'll end March/April with nothing new to show for it. (iPod mini and Xserve G5 are all we have so far, right?)
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by PLAN-B

so hopefully this is going to be massivve

?

Uummm, We have waited far longer than this for PowerBook updates before... Doesn't seem like a reason to expect new PowerBooks this week.

G5 only in PowerMacs...... Not sure this procludes exclusively to new G5 PowerBooks being released.... I don't have a G5, I haven't used a G5, but I see a bucket load of fans in the PowerMacs, "Speed holes" in the front of the G5 XServe.... Seems to me that the G5 might run hot (and the XServes have the 90nm ones too (???) so even they must be fairly warm).

Seems to me that (with no research) the G5 will run pretty hot, maybe too hot for current form iMacs and PowerBooks. Make the PowerBooks thicker and you might get there. I don't think they will make them thicker though. Steve's ego seems to control theses things... And it's a mighty tough ego!!!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    If their having trouble shipping G5 Xserves, then I don't see how they can ship G5 powerbooks. Unless of course the reason for the G5 shortage is because Apple is hording them for the rest of their products.

Naaaaah.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pooandwee

Seems to me that the G5 might run hot (and the XServes have the 90nm ones too (???) so even they must be fairly warm).

Seems to me that (with no research) the G5 will run pretty hot, maybe too hot for current form iMacs and PowerBooks. Make the PowerBooks thicker and you might get there. I don't think they will make them thicker though. Steve's ego seems to control theses things... And it's a mighty tough ego!!!

The 970fx chips have similar power requirements of the current g4 chips.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Is it not normal for European stores to have all models available?

No it EFFing isn't normal to have everything available in Europe!

*Pops Pill* *Breathes*

Not only is there always something missing from the available product line, we have to wait 4 EFFing months to get an iPod Mini FFS!!!

• Reply 11 of 21
    joinkjoink Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PLAN-B

due to the apple stores around europe being open again today and with so many powerbooks unsold the 1ghz 12 inch is still availible at a good price ( must have quite a few) so what do you think maybe that 27th or 30 th prediction is correct maybe just maybe we will have our updates

but i think it must be be big because

1 No

2 No, sorry

--> refurbished PowerBooks <-- the famous 'white spots'
  • Reply 12 of 21
    2 cents ...

I'd guess the G5 PBooks will be announced 2-3 months before they actually ship (similiar to the G5 PowerMacs). ... so MAYBE they are ready to ANNOUNCE them this early in the year ? .... who knows.

(mostly, I just felt like posting on something today)
  • Reply 13 of 21
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I really don't expect G5 PowerBooks this year. Honestly. I think they'll be one of the keynote highlights at MWSF in January.

Just a gut feeling.

I think we'll have a PowerBook rev in May or something, and that'll take us through the year. Remember, it's not like it's unheard of for the PowerBooks to go 8-10 months untouched. They did it last year.

If a G5 PowerBook DID appear in 2004, I don't think it'll happen before October. Everyone expecting one this summer...hmmm. I can't imagine it.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I agree that I think G5 PBs are farther out than we would prefer, but far better for Apple to get them right upon release than to release them too early and have them be troublesome. I think we'll see one more revision of the PBs with a slightly faster G4, which will be something of a holding action for Apple...

From what I've seen, Apple really needs to update the iMac...and new PMs and LCDs appear imminent.

Best,

Bob
  • Reply 15 of 21
    I think that the updated PM will be announced as soon as all parts are available. Parts like graphic cards. Probably very soon unless a supplier fails to perform.

Pretty much the same with the iMac, but the PM will be first.

Reason? The 90 nm chips that IBM has been producing and delivering to Apple.

Sadly the PB is going to take a lot of engineering and testing. You can pretty well assume that there are a few prototypes being put through some vigorous testing, and they probably have been for months. This takes time to iron out the kinks, like the little white spots on displays, or as many as possible. Then they have to start pre-production activities, like lining up the various components.

Finally, there have been rumors that 10.4 will have a significant increase in the optimization for the 64 bit G5. It might well be important for this to occur before releasing the PB, and that might be a good thing.

That sadly leads to a minor bump in the PB in the near future as we wait for fall.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Automaticftp

I think we'll see one more revision of the PBs with a slightly faster G4, which will be something of a holding action for Apple...

From what I've seen, Apple really needs to update the iMac...and new PMs and LCDs appear imminent.

Exactly. And it's not as if PB sales are doing poorly (relatively speaking), which is not the case with the iMac.

Part of me is hoping for a newer more flexible/expandable 3G iMac, but I still hold a fondness of the current AIO's breakthrough design.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pooandwee

G5 only in PowerMacs...... Not sure this procludes exclusively to new G5 PowerBooks being released.... I don't have a G5, I haven't used a G5, but I see a bucket load of fans in the PowerMacs, "Speed holes" in the front of the G5 XServe.... Seems to me that the G5 might run hot (and the XServes have the 90nm ones too (???) so even they must be fairly warm).

The Xserves have dual G5's in them.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    That and they are made to STACK on TOP of each other... How else can the heat escape other then through the front and back???
  • Reply 19 of 21
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    ...they are stacked together in really tight enclosures, being able to run 247s with a full workload

powerbook G5 will take it's time but it will come... easily
  • Reply 20 of 21
    vr6vr6 Posts: 77member
    This is getting off topic further, but I am hearing that the Xserve product line is actually taking off dramatically. The back orders are apparently based on a significant order volume, not just virginia tech.

The fact that it provides Windows authentication and directory services for unlimited clients makes the Xserve dirt cheap (when compared to per user licenses) for IT installations in corporations and this has not gone unnoticed.

I work in publishing and Macs had effectively become relegated only to the layout departments, but suddenly G5 servers are appearing in the data rooms and I'm told that they're very popular elsewhere. We'll see.