Chernobyl pics

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just saw this over at slashdot...

its a really great read with lots of pictures about the disaster at chernobyl.

The woman basically rides her motorcycle through the ruins and takes lots of pictures along the way, its something everyone with a spare five minutes should take a look at.

Ghost Town

my hat goes off to this lady for sharing her experience with the world.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    This is far more suited for AppleOutsider. Moving now...
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Just saw this over at slashdot...

its a really great read with lots of pictures about the disaster at chernobyl.

The woman basically rides her motorcycle through the ruins and takes lots of pictures along the way, its something everyone with a spare five minutes should take a look at.

Ghost Town

unbelievable
  • Reply 3 of 28
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I looked at this before from the last time it was on /. I which I knew what units they used to the exposure measurements that they took (or used). I couldn't figure it out.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Wow.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    They seem to have updated the site. They now have units on there.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    No wait I still can't tell the units on the map. Are those numbers microroengen? If so then 2000 is still only 2 mR per hour which is right at the safe limit set for the public by the NRC of about 2 mrem/hour. I still wouldn't stop and eat.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Wow. What an awesome site. Truly tragic.

<lights calabash and ponders future of life on Earth>

Damn. \
  • Reply 8 of 28
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Indeed. What horror those people went through.

Fellowship
  • Reply 9 of 28
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Good site. This is scary.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

Indeed. What horror those people went through.

Fellowship

Correction, going through.

They kept running Chernobyl's nuclear power-plant up until 1999 or 2000. There was even a marked effect on US mortality rates from this accident, thats how far the nuclear debris went. To top it all off, the concrete casing on the number 2 reactor is falling apart and the nuclear core is going to fall into the ground water causing a nuclear explosion and the release of nuclear gas rivaling the first Chernobyl incident if nothing is done to stop it.

People have already moved back to Chernobyl because the Gov't gives them bread.

Its really sad. This pictures should be an eye opener for a lot of people.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    skyeyedskyeyed Posts: 15member
    wow. *speechless*

and fyi (cause you might be interested, too): Those horses that are (amazingly!) thriving in such a toxic/polluted environment are Przewalski's horses (in English) - Mongolian/Eurasian wild horses...the last species of truly wild horses left in the world. Talk about a hardy horse. They have two more chromosomes than a domestic horse (66, not 64... so they're a different species of Equus/horse...) and they are descendants of the horses depicted in the ancient cave paintings at Lascaux, France (thus, they're an important evolutionary link between ancient and modern horses). Interesting stuff if you love animals/biology/evolution...
  • Reply 12 of 28
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I was just amazed by that whole thing. We are seeing pictures of things that not too many people see. She was really close to the reactors.

That was truly amazing, I couldn't believe some of those shots. I was really speechless.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

causing a nuclear explosion and the release of nuclear gas rivaling the first Chernobyl incident if nothing is done to stop it.

It's going to explode? I doubt that.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    I think that the issue with the sarcophagus is that if it does collapse the radioactive dust cloud could be larger than the original one...
  • Reply 15 of 28
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    So why don't we fix it? It probably can't cost more then a couple million. possibly hundred million. A joint effort of all countries is needed...even if it isn't their land.

*sigh* I know it isn't that easy though.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    1. Quite interesting.

2. She's crazy.

3. I felt a strange desire to see this chick naked.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Wow, someone needs to get this chick an IR setup.

SDW, careful, you'll end up with a glow-in-dark penis.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

So why don't we fix it? It probably can't cost more then a couple million. possibly hundred million. A joint effort of all countries is needed...even if it isn't their land.

*sigh* I know it isn't that easy though.

There really isn't a way to... Basically the entire thing would need to be contained in some sort of eternal geodesic dome...
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Sounds like it just needs to be dug up. What's the half life of the stuff there?
  • Reply 20 of 28
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I was just amazed by that whole thing. We are seeing pictures of things that not too many people see. She was really close to the reactors.

That was truly amazing, I couldn't believe some of those shots. I was really speechless.

I recall a few years ago 60 minutes (reporters first name was Steve?) went there and even went on a tour of the reactor. They all were wearing radioactive hazmat suits. Creepy. Outside was a village, apartments and office buildings abandoned with music being piped outside for the few remaining technicians working there...giger counters going nuts.

I remember the Chernobyl reactor meltdown on the news...shit, I remember 3 Mile Island on the news. Closest Chernobyl disaster US ever had. Since then I have a fear of them chimneys...

Steve Croft! That's the guy...he still alive?