Bush proposes broadband by'07

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I do plan to vote for bush this fall, but this kind of stuff just chap my a**, bush wants national broadband availibility, dsl/cable in every knook and cranny, by 2007, he says government needs to make it happen!!!

has he ever heard of PRIVATE industry, verizon.bell,insight,comcast and so on are extending their broadband footprint every day!

I am starting to think tht the only differance between kerry and bush is the war, which is the reson i am not sitting home all-together, i hate the idea of voteing for the lesser of two liberals but that is the decision before us...BUSH/CHEANY IN 04!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    That is funny. Actually, it has to be a government initiative just like bringing power to the rural areas was. I think the goal here is to focus these companies on bringing the internet to every nook and cranny. Look at GB, they are doing it by using lamp posts as wireless stations, this can be done or the hypothetical development of internet by power cable...
  • Reply 2 of 18
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I don't think he meant it should be a government endeavor, though I wouldn't be surprised if that is what he meant.

I think he means the G should provide incentives to get the private industry to get it done.

Could be wrong though. I'm not that familiar with this idea.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I don't think he meant it should be a government endeavor, though I wouldn't be surprised if that is what he meant.

I think he means the G should provide incentives to get the private industry to get it done.

Could be wrong though. I'm not that familiar with this idea.

like cutting government waste? and even lowering taxes (by a sugnificant amount)? lets hope for this rout
  • Reply 4 of 18
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Yes! Yet another program that I am going to subsidize for rural America. I'm so glad that I have to pay more for all of my utilities.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    <-- not american.

• Reply 6 of 18
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

BUSH/CHEANY IN 04!

Good to know my fellow Americans "know" who they're voting for. I wonder how CHENEY's gonna react when he hears he got bumped off the ticket by "Cheany".
  • Reply 7 of 18
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    George Bush invented broadband... didn't you know that?

• Reply 8 of 18
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

George Bush invented broadband... didn't you know that?

Way to take something that Al Gore sort of said and turn it around and use it against Bush...not so sure why you did that.

As far as the broadband thing goes, I think it's a great idea. You have no idea how much dialup sucks until you get some kind of broadband. It's heaven. This is a little bit like the digital TV thing we have going on. All TV broadcasts must be digital by 2007...I think it is. It's all about keeping the USA the greatest country in the world.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Way to take something that Al Gore sort of said and turn it around and use it against Bush...not so sure why you did that.

Way to not get a joke.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

It's all about keeping the USA the greatest country in the world.

more like it's all about keeping americans docile and lazy. \
  • Reply 11 of 18
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

more like it's all about keeping americans docile and lazy. \

And more power to 'em if they want to be!

And I got the joke, but it wasn't funny.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    I'll tell you what. If "Arbusto" can get these companies to lower the price of DSL or Cable broadband to about $20.00 a month this year...I'll vote for the mother****er.

• Reply 13 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

I'll tell you what. If "Arbusto" can get these companies to lower the price of DSL or Cable broadband to about $20.00 a month this year...I'll vote for the mother****er.

Heh, seriously. The quality of broadband in my area has been decreasing precipitously. I live in Silicon Valley for chrissakes. It was $40/ for @Home, which had crazy high download speeds. Then it was $50/mo for slower ATTBI service, which was fine since they stopped blocking port 80 and gave me 7 free IPs. Now it's $60/mo for slow service and they're finally taking away my mutliple IPs.

At some point it's not going to be worth it. If I'm going to be paying that much for internet I might start looking at smaller start-ups like Etheric Networks offering unique services. They're a wireless provider, so it means paying out the ying-yang for a parabolic dish, but otherwise you get 2500/2500 kbps for $100/mo or 5000/5000 for $130/mo.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

At some point it's not going to be worth it. If I'm going to be paying that much for internet I might start looking at smaller start-ups like Etheric Networks offering unique services. They're a wireless provider, so it means paying out the ying-yang for a parabolic dish, but otherwise you get 2500/2500 kbps for $100/mo or 5000/5000 for $130/mo

Not bad EC. The latency numbers aren't bad as well(Average is < 10 ms (1/100th of a second). Optimal is 4 ms. (1/250th of a second to the backbone). High is < 51 ms (1/20th of a second). Have you heard of any realworld reports on the performance?

I tend to agree Private Industry will handle this fine without "Gubment" interference. I think this may have more to do with who gets access to the USF fees levied.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

I do plan to vote for bush this fall, but this kind of stuff just chap my a**, bush wants national broadband availibility, dsl/cable in every knook and cranny, by 2007, he says government needs to make it happen!!!

has he ever heard of PRIVATE industry, verizon.bell,insight,comcast and so on are extending their broadband footprint every day!

I am starting to think tht the only differance between kerry and bush is the war, which is the reson i am not sitting home all-together, i hate the idea of voteing for the lesser of two liberals but that is the decision before us...BUSH/CHEANY IN 04!

Typical Bush voter. You can't even spell his VP's name.

But you started it out right! BUSH/CHEATED!

You call Bush a liberal and think they have no differences? Have you read any threads here or seen any form of news for the past 4 years? PRIVATE industry eh, who do you think is giving him that 172 million dollars to blanket TV with lies about Kerry, WMD, the environment, his record, the economy, etc? Are you aware he recently made a joke about not finding WMD in Iraq, which 600 young Americans were sent to die for, and many more injured, and many Iraqis killed, more after the "war" then during it. That "joke" of his blew my mind so much I couldn't even look at that thread. I mean what if your son died in Iraq and your President made a joke about it? That's like joking there was no Holocaust. der Fuhrer Bush!!!

Back on topic...just another example of Bush wasting money. Do you know our deficit is bigger now than during the Depression? This guy has wasted more money than probably any other person in the history of Earth. And most people don't even know.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Way to not get a joke.

Thank you.

Unbelievable...

...anyway, I'm all for cheap broadband, but I don't know how the government could possibly make it a matter of policy. It's not like the HDTV mandate from the FCC, where everyone see's a benefit to moving to the new standard and is trying to do so.

More evidence that Bush just spouts off about any old thing he thinks will get a popular response, without having given the finer points a moment's thought.

"Ooo... people like these Mars Landers... let's tell everyone we're sending a man to Mars!"

"Ooo... people don't like Gay Marriage... let's tell our supporters how much we're against it by making a Constitutional Ammendment!"

"Ooo... my cybersecurity guy is making me look bad... let's make sure everyone knows I'm in favor of the internet by telling them we'll bring cheap, nationwide broadband by 2007!"

If people can't see through this crap for what it is, it's really pathetic.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Damn right. Simply as a guy, he's an idiot. He's one of those types of people that just talks out of their ass all the time because they want to be the center of attention, like the sound of their own voice, and wants to impress the ladies. Cmon we all know that guy!

How about that Mars program of his? Oh and how are those hydrogen powered cars coming? pffffft.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    Who knows what the **** he means?