Ultra Thin iBooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
After checking out macosrumors, check out this one.

it could be credible.

http://macosrumors.com/32504E.html

I mean why can't the ibooks get smaller. There is no precedent that the powerbooks have to be the smallest (remember when tibook owners were jealous of the small and light original icebooks)

Sounds possible to me, and the g4 sporting ibooks would have superior battery life than the mythical g5 powerbooks anyway.

I think that could be a great differentiator for the ibooks. The powerbooks: thin and powerful and the ibooks thin, energy meager and cheap. Sounds like a perfect evolution to me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

After checking out macosrumors, check out this one.

it could be credible.

[snip]

A credible rumor from those guys? That'll be the day. In fact, this wont happen just because they predicted it.

I don't really see that happening for a few reasons. First of all, the iBooks are the consumer line of Apple's portable devision, what kind of consumer needs an ultra light, ultra thin, featureless notebook? No consumer needs that.

I can see the PBs getting lighter and thinner (read: business traveler), but I think the iBooks are great in their current form factor. They are great to look at, give excellent battery life, and have more than enough features for the average consumer. Cutting things like that out will alienate people
  • Reply 2 of 23
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    It is rumored to be full featured.

In any case, just because they are acceptable and nice now, does not mean they cant get smaller and better. Come on!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

A credible rumor from those guys? That'll be the day. In fact, this wont happen just because they predicted it.

What I find strange is that the guys at MOSR are on a rumor rampage lately, with rumors "From the Grapevine", "Reader Mail", "Reader Mail for Insomniacs" and "Fresh Dirt", morning, evening or late night. Perhaps they need some tranquilizers .
  • Reply 4 of 23
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Speaking about MOSR. I recently emailed them asking if they knew what year it was. No response. Yesterday I did it again and showed them why I asked the question. Today they've changed their "copyleft" line to 1995 - 2004 (it had been 2003 up until today.) I received no thanks for helping them out, but did email them a "You're Welcome!". What a crew, what a site, what a bunch of jerks.

UPDATE: They've reverted back to 2003. Oh well, I tried.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes, they certainly seem to have gone into some sort of "let's make up more shit, why don't we?" overdrive. Which is kinda nice, because before they were only good for 1-2 laughs a week.

Now they're supplying us with hearty chuckles, eyerolls and head slaps 2-3 times a day. That's more value for your entertainment dollar!

Again I ask: have they EVER been right? About anything? Ever?

• Reply 6 of 23
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

What I find strange is that the guys at MOSR are on a rumor rampage lately, with rumors "From the Grapevine", "Reader Mail", "Reader Mail for Insomniacs" and "Fresh Dirt", morning, evening or late night. Perhaps they need some tranquilizers .

I think they've just realized they can make money on ads. Notice they are placing like 10 ads per page and spliting stories over multiple pages to increase pageviews
  • Reply 7 of 23
    That's what I'm seeing about those guys, they aren't really nice or responsive to anyone who emails them.

I've given them info before, and no response in any form came from them.

The only way they will respond is if you give them money. NOW THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE !

sh%t,

-walloo.

p.s. STOP! WARNING. Being idiots about the way you do business. STOP. Being jerkoffs. (heh, a word my grandpa taught me when this guys was being a dick..no pun...)
  • Reply 8 of 23
    this idea needs another box itself.

Write them an email, telling them you "have donated in the past" and haven't received a response from any of them regarding a question you would so choose.

This would be using words for their exact meaning. Of course you've donated in the past...maybe not to them...the rest is their assumption.

They do make me mad sometimes...as you can tell. And what they are doing, isn't a very good idea...hence all the slander and credibility about them.

-walloo.

p.s. If they respond, you will see how they do business, and if they don't, it could be due to "overwhelming" emails...but I can really doubt it. (overwhelming being ones with money inside)
  • Reply 9 of 23
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    This all kinda makes me wonder...do those guys know they are the joke of all the Mac rumors sites (at least the ones that are trying to be serious). Like, do they know that some of us visit their site on a semi-regular basis just so we can have a laugh?

There is one thing they were right about though, the iBook will eventually get updated. As for the rest of the crap, it's just that...crap.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I think the iBook need not be thinner or lighter than the powerbook. It should be rugged and durable though. The primary market seems to be students, a market that is very mobile, around campus and such.

the powerbook market is generally a desktop replacement one, it's primary use(except the 12") is for sitting around a couple different locations of the house, not tossing in a backpack and taking to school everyday.

that said, the current iBooks are pretty...um...not durable. Both my brother and sister have 12" ones, and they both have cracks in the case. it's unfortunate.

is there a place from apple, for an ultra-light, thin notebook? I think so, I just don't think now is the time.

Apple was *brilliant* with the 12" powerbook. They waited till 14-15 was the standard, then they released such a svelte 12" and it felt like a sub-notebook.

I think they could do the same thing with a 10" maybe, it'd have to be thinner than an inch if possible, and as trim as possible.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    I am not sure if Apple needs to go into to the subnote category, but small reasonably priced notebooks with good battery life is always in demand!

1" or .93" 14" under 5 lbs with built in optical and bluetooth.....

and keeping the 12" form factor for the powerbooks
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I removed MOSR from my bookmarks about a year ago. The complete lack of trustworthy rumors was bad, but even worse was the constant "We are working a big update for later this afternoon, lots of good stuff, check back later..." Off course you check back later and you realize that you just turned another number over on their page hits counter. What i don't get is the support they get from AtAT, which quotes them often. AtAT is a worthy site to visit. I need them and John Stewart's Daily Show to get through the week.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I removed MOSR from my bookmarks about a year ago. The complete lack of trustworthy rumors was bad, but even worse was the constant "We are working a big update for later this afternoon, lots of good stuff, check back later..." Off course you check back later and you realize that you just turned another number over on their page hits counter. What i don't get is the support they get from AtAT, which quotes them often. AtAT is a worthy site to visit. I need them and John Stewart's Daily Show to get through the week.

AtAT what's that?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

AtAT what's that?

As the Apple turns
  • Reply 15 of 23
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

YAgain I ask: have they EVER been right? About anything? Ever?

Who the hell cares, pscates. As you note yourself, we all read MOSR... for entertainment.

Reading Ryan Meader's stuff is better than trippin' on acid. Doing drugs vicariously is certainly healthier than doing them yourself.

Good old red-headed step-child!

Escher
  • Reply 16 of 23
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I think it's interesting that something like that could actually be built. The Toshiba drives already have already reached capacities that would work in a notebook, and that will only become more true. Slimline "SuperDrives" are also available, if you're willing to take a speed hit.

However, I don't see this going into iBooks, yet, for one reason: Cost. Both of these parts are pricey. The 12" PowerBook, on the other hand, has the price to absorb the extra cost, and at 1.5" thick it's lacked the "sex" of its bigger cousins. Apple could rock the industry with a sub $2K, full-featured subnote.

Now, of couse, the iBook gets hand-me-downs from the 12" PB, and this is where a super-svelte PB could be really beneficial: With the guts fitting into such a tiny space, there's lots more room for shock-mounting, for curved case materials (curves being more structurally sound than straight lines), clamshell iBook-style rubber bumpers, etc. So the iBook could remain a little more portly in exchange for becoming as rugged as the clamshell was, or the eMate.

It's possible, even if MOSR did mention something similar.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    I suspect that MOSR is going for the "if we hint at everything, something will be right" approach. Kinda like the carpet bombing of the rumours world. The upside (for us) is that if they were entertaining/amusing before, now they have 2-3x the amusement value.

They have ads on their site? I had to go back and look just to be sure. I guess my brain has just gotten to effective at blotting out the ads.

As for the actual thread topic -- I agree with Amorph. Making notebooks ever smaller isn't such a great thing because it impinges on their usability (smaller keyboard, screen, trackpad), but being able improve the space dedicated to shock mounting or battery would be welcome improvements. The enemies are weight, heat, and cost; if they can keep them constant (or less) then they'll have a winner.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Is Mac OS Rumors offline? I haven't been able to bring up www.macosrumors.com for months now. Sounds like you guys are able to access it. Why can't I get to it? I've been thinking they just died and dried up and blew away.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macvault

Is Mac OS Rumors offline? I haven't been able to bring up www.macosrumors.com for months now. Sounds like you guys are able to access it. Why can't I get to it? I've been thinking they just died and dried up and blew away.

"Friday, March 26 Check back often - more updates all weekend long!

Late Night

Rumors: More about Mac OS X 10.4 and the 'Year of the G5'.

Afternoon

From the Grapevine: An Apple-branded ISP? Apple LCD price drops? The Year of the G5?!

Reader Mail: New iBook, G5 rumors; more advanced cooling. (Pages 1, 2)"

This is their postings from Yesterday. Try a different browser, or kill your cache.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Can someone please give me the IP address for www.macosrumors.com so I can see if it's a DNS issue? I've tried different browsers, different machines, and even different internet services and haven't been able to get to that site for months. VERY STRANGE! I remember that site going down all the time in the past so I just figured this time it went down for good But sounds like you guys can get to it. This is crazy. WTH!